Speculation: Android CCG will return, sans Netrunner

By Vertrucio, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

FFG poured a lot of money into the game, and just like Terrinoth, the Android setting has been fleshed out enough to start standing on its own.

I suspect we'll see a new Android CCG in the very near future with as deep mechanics as Netrunner, and perhaps some new mechanics that will allow for things like multiplayer and cooperative.

With all the money they've poured into this, it will continue in some form.

58 minutes ago, Vertrucio said:

FFG poured a lot of money into the game, and just like Terrinoth, the Android setting has been fleshed out enough to start standing on its own.

I suspect we'll see a new Android CCG in the very near future with as deep mechanics as Netrunner, and perhaps some new mechanics that will allow for things like multiplayer and cooperative.

A a fan of the original Netrunner first, that would do very little for me. Android is a pretty cool setting, but I came for the Netrunner game.

That said, if they revised/improved AGoT's system and put Android corps in place of Houses, that'd be good enough for me.

3 hours ago, xenoss said:

That said, if they revised/improved AGoT's system and put Android corps in place of Houses, that'd be good enough for me.

Such different games tho - not sure this would give me the netrunner buzz!

I Wouldn't buy it if it was a CCG, sod that, I like to no what I'm buying.

2 hours ago, Bradders77 said:

I Wouldn't buy it if it was a CCG, sod that, I like to no what I'm buying.

Preach!

I agree. After L5Rs success, FFG saw that new games sell better than old games and doing an Android game minus the licensing would make even more money. Arkham Horror was well received and they probably want another co-op multiplayer LCG so their efforts will probably be going toward that.

That game will NOT be netrunner. The good news is Netrunner in it's current state is a good game so it is ending a very good place. At least they fixed the game up before putting it to bed.

Some responses are getting overly pedantic. Suffice to say, I meant LCG, but that really should go without saying considering it's probably been an LCG longer than it was an active CCG.

Netrunner is good, but always had issues, Just as Android Netrunner improved on the Netrunner CCG formula, a future Android "Runners" game could easily take everything they learned from A:N and A:N Revised and bring it forward into a new game. Game mechanics cannot be copyrighted anyway.

Netrunner had already hit a point where it had difficulty bringing in new players due to its rules and card density. A new game could do a better job of onboarding.

To be honest, the closest IP to replace Netrunner is actually Cthulhu. Y’know. Monsterous entities, throwing up strange plans and conspiricies. Motivated individuals trying to stop it.

Not that it matters, as I suspect the Netrunner play mechanics went with the license.

I do Rez my Star Spawn, though.

On 6/9/2018 at 4:49 PM, Vertrucio said:

On 6/9/2018 at 4:49 PM, Vertrucio said:

I am sorry, but do you have an idea of how much money has FFG "poured onto" this game?

As in, sure enough they have spent money in developing, playtesting, artists, etc...but is it such a huge investment? Each month they had to pay for some salaries...and each month they got back something. Sure enough, there may have been a peak of work (and cost) with the design of core set 2.0 that they may have not been able to totally amortize, but this is far from being a money sink.

The people they have working in Netrunner will simply be sent somewhere else (most likely making a new LCG). Will it be a revamp of Netrunner? Maybe, but ask yourself this: how much difference is there between adapting the "money they poured in this game" to make another netrunner-like game that does not infringe on existing IPs and simply creating a completely new game altogether?

Simply put, why limit to making yet another cyberpunk game when there are so many other themes they could choose from?

^ This. Keep in mind this was a 6 year license and they smartly choose to do something with the final year of the license. It is very common for companies to keep moving forward like this even if the higher ups know the end is coming. Also FFG doesn't pay their developers a lot, think school teacher or even less, and card games are cheap to print. Sadly commissioned artist don't make big bank either. Their biggest line item was that license.

With that said Android is an established IP and they already let us know they will continue to work with that IP.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:53 AM, xenoss said:

A a fan of the original Netrunner first, that would do very little for me. Android is a pretty cool setting, but I came for the Netrunner game.

Ditto. Android: Netrunner is great because it's so different from FFG's other LCGs. I wouldn't be interested in yet another AGoT clone with an Android theme...

With a setting and so many art assets floating around, it's FFG MO's to put them into use to rake some cash. We know an RPG is coming up, but there's bound to be a new board game...maybe even a card game? Android: New Angeles the Card Game? I suspect the word "Runner" is liable for a lawsuit so a symmetrical Corp vs Corp game is more likely.

On 6/15/2018 at 3:30 PM, Hordeoverseer said:

I suspect the word "Runner" is liable for a lawsuit so a symmetrical Corp vs Corp game is more likely.

"Runner", by itself? Unlikely. "Netrunner" specifically, in the context of a card game? Almost certainly.

I think how they'll do it is a larger game, with card sets or other decks that are only useful against one type of adversary.

They can also play with multi-purpose cards in a base deck. Then a Systems Deck when dealing with hackers, and a meatspace deck for fighting other corps or mercenaries.

But considering the time they're putting into L5R's multiplayer rules, and the need to provide more casual play options for whatever Netrunner successor they develop. And the existence of GoT introductory decks. All signs point toward them making more and better ways to ease players into whatever game picks up the mantle left by Netrunner.

I think how they'll do it is a larger game, with card sets or other decks that are only useful against one type of adversary. 

They can also play with multi-purpose cards in a base deck. Then a Systems Deck when dealing with hackers, and a meatspace deck for fighting other corps or mercenaries.

I don't agree that would entice players from either the A:NR or Arkham Horror to jump into whatever Android product they decide to release; part of the appeal is that Android is a universe where Corps and Runners have these incredibly complex and dynamic interactions and stories on both sides of the table.

I played a couple of games of Akrham Horror and soon after realized that further fleshing out an asymmetrical co-op card game in Android would appeal to me since that is what AH essentially is. Then include game mechanics that force players to play differently, have different encounters, skills tests, and abilities that contribute to the ultimate objective of stealing corporate agendas all within a robust player-driven narrative; teamwork with a twist that and introduces conflict between Runner factions since each have their own agendas and reasons for being anti-corp.

Game mechanics already exist the within Netrunner that could probably be revised to not be a copyright infringement and fully develop some of the more lackluster game features such damage, tags, and traces. Throw in a campaign style narrative where as the player you also have to manage the power and influence of the Corp's before one becomes too powerful and there can be a legacy element. Your successes and failures have lasting consequences not just for you as the play, but the corps as well. For example, if you succeed at stealing agendas from HB and reduce their influence, Jinteki, their strongest competitor, becomes more influential because they take advantage of the opportunity to encroach into HB territory.

I want something more fluid and engaging that creates opportunities for memorable moments in the same way that "Click 4, run R&D" creates to win or loose a game of Netrunner. The art, assets, and mechanics are there, and I imagine FFG using existing materials to relaunch an Android card game. If it retains a lot of what made Netrunner an amazing game and expands some key mechanics it could be FFG's next huge title.

On 6/11/2018 at 9:42 AM, Kalrhin said:

I am sorry, but do you have an idea of how much money has FFG "poured onto" this game? 

Yep, that's the point: we look at games with the perspective of players trying to figure out "OMG what now?". Looking with the eyes of the company, everything is:

a) I know the product will enter the market, sell, and go out of production at some point for some reason (lost license, less player playing, whatelse)
b) If I pay X to develop a game, all I care is that the game gives me back Y where Y is (much) greater than X

end of the story. So, they poured money in Netrunner? Yes. And the game won twice the Aldie award, sold a gazillion copies everywhere (for many many many months it was their bestselling title just after X-Wing) and then it was not sold any longer because of license lost. Did losing the license destroy all the money earned over time? I hardly think so. And in any case their only worry now is "how can I keep investing X to keep producing Y as before (or more)". Which means good marketing-

In Flight report today. Someone specifically asked if there would be an Android card game. The response was, hmmm not really, but maybe down the line.... so it seems that one isn't going to be out anytime soon.... maybe next gen con they will announce something, after this forge unique deck game flops...

They were never going to announce anything at this years Gen Con, way too soon. When you look at FFG's library of games, they will seriously make a game out of just about anything. They have too many art assets and stories set up to not give it another go. The problem is how do they capture netrunner without the game being netrunner. They will need to be creative.

I’d think you of all people would be over the moon at the Keyforge announcement. All preconstructed decks, newbie friendly, no deckbuilding, no card pool, every game is on the ground floor because that’s the only floor there is.

Keyforge .... well at least we know where all the money for that netrunner license went.

Yes, netrunner died because it tanked for a couple of years and it tanked because it failed to get new players in the game to replace all the disgruntled vets that left over some bad cards. There is a balance that must be maintained. FFG failed to do so.

Haven't played Keyforge so I won't say anything bad about it since I do not know, but I doubt I will ever learn anything about it. Doesn't look interesting to me.

We'll wait for a next year realease see what FFG is cooking for us. This KeyForge stuff is utterly disappointing. The cartoony artwork clearly shows they target a very young audience.

FFG launches a new card game designed by Richard Garfield and Netrunner ends its life because Wizards doesn't renew license to FFG.

This does not suprise me.

Are you sure FFG is at fault here? There is the possibility that Wizards of the Coast told FFG to drop Netrunner and create another card game by Richard Garfield.

Edited by Hordeoverseer
21 hours ago, Hordeoverseer said:

Are you sure FFG is at fault here? There is the possibility that Wizards of the Coast told FFG to drop Netrunner and create another card game by Richard Garfield.

WotC can't dictate to FFG what games to create. They could however have withheld the licence.

Equally, Asmodee may have made the decision, as the parent company of FFG. Or Eurazeo, as the parent company of Asmodee (don't forget that Asmodee went up for sale recently, Eurazeo may have been looking to make the balance sheet as attractive as possible). Or Hasbro, as the parent company of WotC.

It's easy to cast blame about, but none of us were party to that decision, so it's just speculation unless we get an official statement (which is highly unlikely).

I was being facetious about WotC making FFG making a game, BTW.