SPOILER ZONE - Phoenix Novella Discussion

By Asako Michi, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Do we have any info regarding Tsukune's new spectral eye?

- does it affect her vision?

- does it act like some sort of link to the toshigoku? Perhaps generatig allucinations/visions or affecting her personality? ( the sword cautions her about it but also seem to hint that it may provide so,e benefit if kept under control)

- what exactly does it look like? It was first described as colorless but in the epilogue it become purple!?

Edited by mirrorcat
3 hours ago, mirrorcat said:

Do we have any info regarding Tsukune's new spectral eye?

- does it affect her vision?

- does it act like some sort of link to the toshigoku? Perhaps generatig allucinations/visions or affecting her personality? ( the sword cautions her about it but also seem to hint that it may provide so,e benefit if kept under control)

- what exactly does it look like? It was first described as colorless but in the epilogue it become purple!?

Absolutely nothing.

However, there's a Phoenix short story on the site due Wednesday...

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Absolutely nothing.

However, there's a Phoenix short story on the site due Wednesday...

Yeah, nothing but questions, and I love it!

FWIW It's been suggested the artwork for Embrace the Void is Tsukune's eye.

There is definitely that bit in the epilogue I think talking about how she has a piece of Toshigoku in her. Whether there's any actual link to the realm is hard to say, however it seems to be implying that it's almost sort of like the taint, except from a different realm and not tied to Fu Leng, as well as potentially controllable.

Why you gotta make me so hype two days too early?

3 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

FWIW It's been suggested the artwork for Embrace the Void is Tsukune's eye.

Embrace_the_Void.png?version=f2b94e1f569

This is now true. In my mind.

I don't want to argue... Like I think it's wrong... but I'm more than okay not arguing.

I'm thinking more like...

image.png.1fb5d39a0cd6005573e971663417e8a2.png

I mean I guess the only way we'll know for sure is if we get Tsukune exp version with a mugshot. ;)

17 minutes ago, shineyorkboy said:

I'm thinking more like...

image.png.1fb5d39a0cd6005573e971663417e8a2.png

Where is that from?

also

What is that cilinder on the top part od the card art? I never noticed it before

Edited by mirrorcat
1 minute ago, mirrorcat said:

Where id that from?

http://miamaska.com/

Does game of thrones or any of the other LCG have experienced versions? Do Luke,Frodo or Jon Snow get multiple versions? (Sorry I briefly played Warhammer's LCG but have otherwise not paid attention) I think it would be awesome to get Emerald Champ Toturi and evil eye Tsukune etc

AGoT, at least, definitely has multiple versions of characters.

1 hour ago, llamaman88 said:

Does game of thrones or any of the other LCG have experienced versions? Do Luke,Frodo or Jon Snow get multiple versions? (Sorry I briefly played Warhammer's LCG but have otherwise not paid attention) I think it would be awesome to get Emerald Champ Toturi and evil eye Tsukune etc

I think we got confirmation from one of the devs about getting different versions of the unique characters, but I don’t remember where.

It is definitely contemplated in the RRG, if you look under “Unique”, where they say that you can only have 1 copy of unique cards, by title , in play. Also, in the Deckbuilding section, it says you can only include 3 copies of a single card by title in any combination between conflict and dynasty decks. So, if we ever get a Dynasty Kachiko, you can put, for example, 1 (actual) Conflict Kachiko and 2 (new) Dynasty Kachiko while deckbuilding.

From AGoT, some different versions of the same character:

GT01_141.jpg

GT08_7.jpg

GT27_81.jpg

10 hours ago, mirrorcat said:

Where is that from?

also

What is that cilinder on the top part od the card art? I never noticed it before

Brim of a hat? Headband / Hair-tie? Tapeworm?

9 hours ago, llamaman88 said:

OL5R had experienced versions of their characters.

You could only run 1 copy of a unique card (it was a keyword, not actually tied to them being named). However, you could run different experience levels of the same unique. If you had a lower experience level unique in play, you could place a higher level version on them for free. They were usually less cost so that was a boon, also you had a high chance of finding a character if you had multiple versions.

I never ran this (i played so very little OL5R), so if I'm wrong I leave it up to the community to correct me.

jpeg jpeg jpeg

Yeah I'm an oL5R player but not really an LCG player. Was curious how they handle it usually in LCGs. Experienced was a mechanic I really liked in ol5r but don't see working great in this game. I mean, I much prefer the fate mechanic to guys being around forever, but it would still be cool to level up Tsukune during play. Especially if I had Kaito Kosori there and played out the novella in game haha.

I expect them to do the 3x uniques by title just like AGOT because they also do that for LOTR LCG. There are several versions of ally Gandalf (for example) and you can include up to 3x cards titled Gandalf in your deck regardless of the combination. In LOTR is gets even hairier since you can have hero and ally versions of the same character, but only one version of that character can legally be in play (for any player and even the encounter deck) at any given time by title. Also as Tabris2k points out the RRG hints that this is coming eventually for L5R. I agree it would be cool to see an older version of Tsukune and Kosori. Maybe a younger version of Tadaka. Though at the same time there are so many great character yet to receive a card in the game.

This has me all kinds of excited. be neat if they did like a deluxe box of characters with the experienced trait and get updated versions of main story characters.

43 minutes ago, phillos said:

I expect them to do the 3x uniques by title just like AGOT because they also do that for LOTR LCG. There are several versions of ally Gandalf (for example) and you can include up to 3x cards titled Gandalf in your deck regardless of the combination. In LOTR is gets even hairier since you can have hero and ally versions of the same character, but only one version of that character can legally be in play (for any player and even the encounter deck) at any given time by title. Also as Tabris2k points out the RRG hints that this is coming eventually for L5R. I agree it would be cool to see an older version of Tsukune and Kosori. Maybe a younger version of Tadaka. Though at the same time there are so many great character yet to receive a card in the game.

Page 18 of the LtP

No more than 3 copies of a single card, by title, can be included in any combination in a player’s dynasty and conflict decks.

Which tracks; that's how they rule on every card game they have (SW Destiny comes to mind).

I'm really interested in seeing if/how they do experienced versions - specifically if they can replace themselves on the board. I know they'll be able to be discarded for fate on copy of that character. RR p.6 - Duplicates:

Duplicates

A duplicate is a copy (in a player’s hand or provinces) of a unique character that is already in play and under the same player’s control. A player may, as a player action during step 1.4 of the dynasty phase, discard a duplicate from his or her hand or provinces to place 1 fate on the copy of the character in play.

• After discarding a duplicate from a province, the province refills face down.
  • A different version of a unique card (that shares the same title) may be discarded from a player’s hand or provinces as a duplicate.

Completely unrelated to the discussion but...

1) i'm surprised noone has posted a " nobody expects the Phoenix Inquisition" meme yet
2) found this old art of Kosori Kaito, i wonder why they decided to change her face on the final product

Source
le-vuong-kaito-kosori-p.jpg?1513389627

Edited by mirrorcat

There was a real scare of white washing in the art early on when this game was first announced. I suspect the people approving the art are being super sensitive to that concern so the initial design might have been rejected for that reason. It seems L5R is less under the social microscope now then when it was first released, but they probably are still doing their best to address those sorts of concerns. Of course, I don't really know. It's possible they just didn't like that face for some other reason. I like the updated art way better.

They changed more than the face. Like, they tugged the sleeves of the kimono under the straps of the breastplate.

I think this was just an early art and they changed it as it progressed

7 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

They changed more than the face. Like, they tugged the sleeves of the kimono under the straps of the breastplate.

I think this was just an early art and they changed it as it progressed

Honestly the sleeves they way they are depicted would have made shooting a nightmare. Generally you would tuck them away so they don't interfere with your shot anyway

Image result for kyudo

4 hours ago, mirrorcat said:

Completely unrelated to the discussion but...

1) i'm surprised noone has posted a " nobody expects the Phoenix Inquisition" meme yet
2) found this old art of Kosori Kaito  , i wonder why they decided to change her face on the final product

Source
le-vuong-kaito-kosori-p.jpg?1513389627

Does anyone know where you can find a large version of modified Kosori Kaito art that ffg put on the card?

I really just want to put them side by side to see all of the changes they made.

As it stands, I think I prefer the original art that the artist did but I want to put them side by side to compare.

16 minutes ago, Vulcan646 said:

Does anyone know where you can find a large version of modified Kosori Kaito art that ffg put on the card?

I really just want to put them side by side to see all of the changes they made.

As it stands, I think I prefer the original art that the artist did but I want to put them side by side to compare.

There’s one in the PDF of the last fiction, but I don’t know if it’s high quality.

I saw this art some time ago (when the Phoenix Novella was announced, I think), and I thought it has too much of an anime look. This second time seeing it hasn’t made much to dispel that impression.