New Waiqar Hero: Lord Vorun'thul

By Parakitor, in Runewars Miniatures Game

2 hours ago, Maktorius said:

I’m hoping that the artifact is "The Twilight Grimoire" or "The horn of the Legion" from my wish list thread:

You made both of those unit-specific, so I doubt that you’ll see either of them. And neither of them really looks like they would synergize well with Lord V, so I wouldn’t expect anything like either of them.

1 hour ago, Xelto said:

You made both of those unit-specific, so I doubt that you’ll see either of them. And neither of them really looks like they would synergize well with Lord V, so I wouldn’t expect anything like either of them.

Would not the Twilight Grimoire be good for all Waiqar heroes (if not unit specific)?

Ankaur is given, but Ardus would be less pawned by ranged enemies, and Lord V could dare to stay engaged in warebat (?) form more. Finally, Waiqar need rune manipulation!

On 5/26/2018 at 2:24 PM, Budgernaut said:

I noticed that, too. I'm hoping for the latter! Though having two different upgrades for infantry could be interesting.

It will be

Lord Vorun’Thul (Champion)

Vorun’Thul the Cursed (Champion)

Vorun’Thul the Cursed (Heavy)

4 hours ago, Church14 said:

It will be

Lord Vorun’Thul (Champion)

Vorun’Thul the Cursed (Champion)

Vorun’Thul the Cursed (Heavy)

If this is correct, it still means that there will need to be a siege unit with a champion upgrade for there to be any use of Vorun'Thul the Cursed (Champion). Currently Carrion Lancers don't have one.

I suppose there could be a Carrion Lancer training upgrade that allows a Champion upgrade, but that seems a bit clunky...

8 hours ago, QuickWhit said:

If this is correct, it still means that there will need to be a siege unit with a champion upgrade for there to be any use of Vorun'Thul the Cursed (Champion). Currently Carrion Lancers don't have one.

I suppose there could be a Carrion Lancer training upgrade that allows a Champion upgrade, but that seems a bit clunky...

No.

Why are you assuming that the second champion is for siege? Why wouldn’t there just be two different infantry Champion and one infantry Heavy upgrade in this box?

It could be:

Infantry Champion (human form)

Cavalry Champion (beast form)

Infantry Heavy (beast form)

2 hours ago, Church14 said:

No.

Why are you assuming that the second champion is for siege? Why wouldn’t there just be two different infantry Champion and one infantry Heavy upgrade in this box?

No assumption necessary. Vorun'Thul the Cursed is a siege unit, as can be seen on his card in the article. He can therefore be a heavy upgrade for an infantry unit or a champion upgrade for a siege unit.

Do you think wounds, banes and inspiration from one form carry over to the next?

I would guess that's what the little star by his name would link to, but with what's revealed right now, different card and different model, no reason to transfer wounds.

1 hour ago, QuickWhit said:

No assumption necessary. Vorun'Thul the Cursed is a siege unit, as can be seen on his card in the article. He can therefore be a heavy upgrade for an infantry unit or a champion upgrade for a siege unit.

There is also an infantry figure included. So he can, with the cards shown, be:

Infantry champion (one shown already)

Infantry Heavy

Siege Champion

Siege Heavy

Also, since it doesn’t look like an infantry hero tray was included, we are supposed to abstract him being Lord or Cursed by what card is up and not what figure is on the table when he is a solo figure.

EDIT: Mind you, most of us are gong to use that second infantry hero tray from our second core set so we can swap figures out, but that’s optional and not needed

Edited by Church14

From this image it looks to me that there is also an infantry hero tray included:
rwm31_diagram2_retreat.png

Edited by Uthoroc
1 minute ago, Uthoroc said:

From this image it looks to me that there is also a infantry hero tray included:
rwm31_diagram2_retreat.png

Hm. Well played

I think it was maro or Hawthorne they showed with a cav hero and infantry hero base, but only came with the cav hero base.

3 hours ago, Jukey said:

I think it was maro or Hawthorne they showed with a cav hero and infantry hero base, but only came with the cav hero base.

I'm hoping they include it in this one, since it'll be pretty necessary.

4 hours ago, Glucose98 said:

I'm hoping they include it in this one, since it'll be pretty necessary.

Not necessary. There is no precedent for a transforming unit in RMG. So we don’t know that FFG is going to require you to swap the models when he transforms. Basically, if the box does have a second tray, then the Cursed form most likely can’t be represented on the table by the Lord form. If it doesn’t, then the models/cards would be interchangeable between Lord/Cursed forms.

So if you have to swap models, then we have an Infantry Heavy, Infantry Champion, and Siege Champion. If you do not, then we probably have a Cursed form Infantry Heavy and Champion and a Lord form Infantry Champion.

On 5/26/2018 at 4:43 AM, Bhelliom said:

Well dang, that's neat. Quite like the minis, transforming vampire knight is great theme. He's not Ravos, but he's something, that's for sure. Dial is pretty solid, and it never occurred to me that ACTIONS could be white. Piddly damage in human form, Threat 3 in beast mode is pretty cool. No preview of his upgrades, but Fortuna's is gonna be a good buy with no Precise (real bad at readying it though).

His transformation is REAL STRONG. Placing AT range 1 works out to like 2.4 units of movement, and obviously makes him unbelievably good at getting flanks. Similarly, range 2 transforming back to human lets him jump behind units 2 deep, very cool.

His dial is... ok? Lotta design crammed in that thing, really pushing the system! Pretty bad at charging, and the initiatives on those movements... brutal. His threat range at initiative 3 is amazing, about 3.4 nonlinear, but then nothing until 6. At 7 he's 5.4ish nonlinear. This makes him... the most threatening model I think? Short of Rune Golems with 4 unstable, he has the advantage. Otherwise, moving and reforming is always strong, he's got advances at every speed so he's reasonably good at getting around the table, attacking at 3 and disengaging is mean. Has to attack at 5 in beast mode which is a real disadvantage, so he has to lean on that (virtually guaranteed) flank and his protected (2) to stay alive. Plus, can pop smoke as early as 3 if he gets in a pickle.

But yeah, WRR at threat 3 with Lethal (stable) is pretty solid, and with fortuna's at a minimum you're looking at some... 12 damage average? Yikes. Looking forward to the upgrades!

edit: ok I modeled it, he GETS a flank "charge", guaranteed, no questions, at initiative 3.

xoLdPp2.jpg

I thought you would have had to square up to the front edge of the unit as its the closest edge?

image.png.ae2d5c86bbdc4eee9b6edc90d2ee66c6.png

8 minutes ago, OzKillswitch said:

I   thought   you would ha  ve had to s  quare up to the front edge of the unit as its the closest  ed  ge  ?

For single-tray units whose front is touching an enemy's corner, they can always choose to square up to the flank. The only rule determining which side you square up to when you hit an enemy's corner is the one that has you place the range ruler's notch on the contacted corner and see which side of the ruler has more of the active unit's conplete trays. By complete, I mean the range ruler doesn't overlap the tray. Single-tray units will always have the ruler overlapping their only tray, so they get to decide which side to square up on.

On 5/29/2018 at 5:01 AM, QuickWhit said:

I suggest leave the Siege restriction on this card.