New Waiqar Hero: Lord Vorun'thul

By Parakitor, in Runewars Miniatures Game

The new deployment looks interesting, as well as the first Waiqar-based terrain that holds 4 trays?

When Vorun'thul the Cursed uses the skill to turn back into Lord Vorun'thul, he takes a stun token. How crippling do you think this is to this character?

I suppose it's not too bad with his initiative-4 rally. He can rally and engage again with his skill.

7 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

When Vorun'thul the Cursed uses the skill to turn back into Lord Vorun'thul, he takes a stun token. How crippling do you think this is to this character?

I suppose it's not too bad with his initiative-4 rally. He can rally and engage again with his skill.

It's a pretty substantial limitation. Also, without having seen the upgrades packaged with him, Fortuna's Dice is looking really strong, so I think struggling to find the time to rally will be what keeps him from being overbearing.

Also looks pretty good with Obcasium's...

46 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

Are you sure?

Stun : When a unit that has a stun token reveals its command tool, that token can be spent to cancel that unit’s modifier. The unit still resolves its action

Don't you reveal your rally + special and I can resolve the stun token before you rally?

38 minutes ago, Bhelliom said:

It's a pretty substantial limitation. Also, without having seen the upgrades packaged with him, Fortuna's Dice is looking really strong, so I think struggling to find the time to rally will be what keeps him from being overbearing.

Also looks pretty good with Obcasium's...

Oh, he'd be a great hit and runner with that. yikes.

3 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

Are you sure?

Stun : When a unit that has a stun token reveals its command tool, that token can be spent to cancel that unit’s modifier. The unit still resolves its action

Don't you reveal your rally + special and I can resolve the stun token before you rally?

He's talking about the stun token you get from turning back to human. You can clear it before the beginning of the next round with the inspiration you gained from the rally.

I have mixed emotions about this news...

On the one hand, this guy looks freaking awesome! As a Waiqar player I can't wait to get my hands on him. He looks like a blast to play, and Waiqar could use a powerful/mobile hero right now...

On the other hand, is FFG just going to release more OP heroes and neglect the old ones? Conceptually I'm good with heroes being very strong, because they are unique (thus not spamable) and... well... they are heroes! But, why would I play Ardus when I can play this guy for like 3 more points? I don't want Ardus to stay on the shelf... he's too cool... Also, where are the other units for Latari and Uthuk? I want to see more complete factions. Not that I think everyone needs the same options, I'd be good with Uthuk never getting a ranged unit and getting a new say siege unit and a heavy infantry. But every faction needs options for the game to grow. After we have that, THEN lets get a third (and **** a fourth) hero out for every faction...

Here's hoping that this announcement is actually a signal that a TON of new content is coming, including the stuff that completes the other factions... and that we will see all of this stuff before Christmas, and not be waiting until next year for it. Is it too much to hope that all the money FFG is getting from selling Legion will go towards some increased printing capacity for Runewars?

Also hoping for something to boost existing units that are over-costed for their current abilities/value... looking at you Ardus... ****, I'd totally buy a re-print of Ardus that re-ballanced him (made him OP like some other heroes) and came with a sweet (reasonably costed) cavalry upgrade to put in my DKs...

40 minutes ago, QuickWhit said:

But, why would I play Ardus when I can play this guy for like 3 more points?

If you think Lord V is flat better than Ardus in every way, you must not be using HoC like, at all.

52 minutes ago, QuickWhit said:

But, why would I play Ardus when I can play this guy for like 3 more points? I don't want Ardus to stay on the shelf... he's too cool...

You'll use Ardus if you have a plan that involves specific abilities Ardus has. I have no problem with specialized hero units.

Also, where are the other units for Latari and Uthuk?

Probably coming soon. I mean, you have this cool guy, why do you want to wait to get him out the door*? Especially, given the frequent doom and gloom here, I can see them wanting to say, "New content on the way!" just to calm some of the doubters.

------
* He says, as FFG hasn't even listed this guy as "In Development" yet, so we have no clue when this guy is going to show up.

Edited by Xelto
2 hours ago, QuickWhit said:

... Also  ,     where are the other units for Latari and Uthuk?  I  want to see more complete factions. Not that I think everyone needs the same options, I'd be good with Uthuk never getting a ranged unit and getting a new say siege unit and a heavy infantry. But every  faction needs options for the game to grow. After we have that, THEN lets get a third (and     **** a fourth) hero out for every facti   o  n   .    ..

This is my biggest beef with today's announcement.

4 hours ago, Glucose98 said:

Are you sure?

Good point. So my initial hunch about the stun being quite limiting is true.

59 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

This is my biggest beef with today's announcement.

Good point. So my initial hunch about the stun being quite limiting is true.

Xelto pointed out that you can use the rally + special to escape, and bank that inspiration then.

3 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

If you think Lord V is flat better than Ardus in every way, you must not be using HoC like, at all.

I do use it. Particularly in the death caller support lancer combo (that build got alot of work done for me against elves). But now my opponents have either built against it out are running Uthuk. Now I'm finding that my lists get better when I just take units at the next level up and dump Ardus. I usually get a tougher unit and enough extra points to add something equally useful to my army.

You basically have to be using HoC on 3 units for Ardus to be worth his cost... and I've just not seen the build that does that in a way that is compelling.

His surge synergies have at times been amazing, but usually don't do anything. As my opponents get smarter they have a pretty easy time preventing things like Ardus + CI Archers from getting into position to benefit from the synergy, especially considering both units lack of mobility

I'm all ears if you've got the sick Ardus list though... I'm having a hard time figuring out one that wouldn't just be better with the new guy...

it is good to see that ffg has not abandoned the development of the game and finally continued with a new hero. but i doubt that this teethless whitebeard elder vampire raises the attraction of the game. If ffg would make anything new for the valquar, i was expecting an 8 inch Undead Dragon. Sorry guys , i cannot share your happines-for-everything-they- make.

I'm not sure I understand the way Lord Vorun'thul's transformation works. He transforms into his cursed form, then performs a melee attack, BUT you lose a die on that melee. So is it Red, White, Blue minus one die? Or is it just Lord Vorun'thul the Cursed's Red, White minus one die? If the latter, that's not quite as impressive as I had first thought. Did they design it this way because they expect that you will be flanking upon transformation?

19 minutes ago, magicrealm said:

it is good to see that ffg has not abandoned the development of the game and finally continued with a new hero. but i doubt that this teethless whitebeard elder vampire raises the attraction of the game. If ffg would make anything new for the valquar, i was expecting an 8 inch Undead Dragon. Sorry guys , i cannot share your happines-for-everything-they- make.

Dragon is coming.

3 hours ago, Parakitor said:

I'm not sure I understand the way Lord Vorun'thul's transformation works. He transforms into his cursed form, then performs a melee attack, BUT you lose a die on that melee. So is it Red, White, Blue minus one die? Or is it just Lord Vorun'thul the Cursed's Red, White minus one die? If the latter, that's not quite as impressive as I had first thought. Did they design it this way because they expect that you will be flanking upon transformation?

If I'm reading it right, it's his cursed form. Which means you have a net of two dice (probably white and either red or blue from the auto-flank), brutal 2, lethal [stable], about a 50% chance of turning that brutal 2 into brutal 3, and a protected 2 from when your target counterattacks.

The following round, you either have white/red/either red or blue, plus the same goodies (with a slightly better chance for lethal 3), or you can clear out on initiative 3 (gaining a stun token) or initiative 4 (gaining a stun token, plus an inspiration token to use on the stun token), moving up to 2 away in any direction.

Added to this, of course, are the effects of any artifacts or upgrades you have.

3 minutes ago, Xelto said:

If I'm reading it right, it's his cursed form. Which means you have a net of two dice (probably white and either red or blue from the auto-flank), brutal 2, lethal [stable], about a 50% chance of turning that brutal 2 into brutal 3, and a protected 2 from when your target counterattacks.

The following round, you either have white/red/either red or blue, plus the same goodies (with a slightly better chance for lethal 3), or you can clear out on initiative 3 (gaining a stun token) or initiative 4 (gaining a stun token, plus an inspiration token to use on the stun token), moving up to 2 away in any direction.

Added to this, of course, are the effects of any artifacts or upgrades you have.

You also have guaranteed brutal 3 on the second attack since you can dial in the surge.

Edited by Glucose98
9 hours ago, Glucose98 said:

Xelto pointed out that you can use the rally + special to escape, and bank that inspiration then.

Ohhh. I missed that detail. I understood he was saying to use an inspiration, but I thought he meant gaining it in advance at some point. I missed the part where you rally on the turn you do the Vampire-disengage.

The box has 2 champion upgrades. What does this mean? Alternate champion for infantry? or is this hinting at an incoming siege unit for Waiqar, because Carrion Lancers don't have a champion slot!

1 hour ago, King Cheesecake said:

The box has 2 champion upgrades. What does this mean? Alternate champion for infantry? or is this hinting at an incoming siege unit for Waiqar, because Carrion Lancers don't have a champion slot!

I noticed that, too. I'm hoping for the latter! Though having two different upgrades for infantry could be interesting.

Since there's a siege upgrade in the spread, I'm wondering if the second champion upgrade is an error. Looks like he comes with no neutral upgrades either, assuming the final card is the second unique upgrade.

Two days after the announcement, and I'm still wildly excited for this new hero!

I’ve been gone in a place with no internet all weekend, so now I get to belatedly react!

Soooo cool!

This will have me dusting off my waiqar and finishing those extra 40 reanimates I have laying around.

This guy offers a fun shakeup for waiqar tactics. I think he’ll pair well with wraiths working around tar pits perform surgical strikes. Profane banner is looking better and better to start bringing with future waiqar.

I really enjoy the fluff tactics that he has. Can’t wait to paint those models.

If you get to flank with the spesial i dont think the hit at five will slow him down as the opponent "must" reform or kill him before he gets brutal two three dice hit. Lookking forward to see the outplays with skill disengage vs reform/hit and how hard it will be to lock him down. I do belive he is going to shredd bigg blocks of infantery.

3 hours ago, Datskor said:

If you get to flank with the spesial i dont think the hit at five will slow him down as the opponent "must" reform or kill him before he gets brutal two three dice hit. Lookking forward to see the outplays with skill disengage vs reform/hit and how hard it will be to lock him down. I do belive he is going to shredd bigg blocks of infantery.

Yeah, most units that get engaged by him have a real bad choice ahead of them - reform to fight him only to have him fly off to his next victim, try to hunker down and survive, or fight out the flank to get some critical damage in. Very cool, he's a real predator.

Looking back at the announcement I am finding myself as excited about a new Waiqar artifact as I am about the new hero. Obcasium's was a welcome addition when it came out and in my opinion made running Ardus better. Wondering what the new artifact might be and if it could have any nice synergies with Ardus, considering Obcasium's will likely be very good on Lord V as he can hit and disengage, leaving the target to "bleed out" while he rally's it up and finds a new target...

10 minutes ago, QuickWhit said:

Looking back at the announcement I am finding myself as excited about a new Waiqar artifact as I am about the new hero. Obcasium's was a welcome addition when it came out and in my opinion made running Ardus better. Wondering what the new artifact might be and if it could have any nice synergies with Ardus, considering Obcasium's will likely be very good on Lord V as he can hit and disengage, leaving the target to "bleed out" while he rally's it up and finds a new target...

I was thinking the same thing. Would be really sad to leave both Ardus and Ankaur in the graveyard, two perfectly thematic and interesting heroes! Even though it feels wrong in principle, I would happily pay for competetive remakes of them since I'm already bought in pretty deep.

I'm hoping that the artifact is "The Twilight Grimoire" or "The horn of the Legion" from my wish list thread:

Edited by Maktorius