Beginner Game

By JorArns, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

8 hours ago, Kaiba6798 said:

Things   like DnD often times drastically change the system from edition to edition. Its why a lot of players adapted t   he 3.5 instead of jumping from E3 to E4. and now they are on E5 and while many me  chanics stayed the same there are a lot of differences. 

That’s the thing; with D&D 4th, even with all its differences, I still felt a certain mechanical familiarity in the system. Though 4th was a radical departure in a lot of categories, I feel the degree of change between D&D 3.5 and D&D 4 is nowhere near the scale of the difference between AEG L5R and FFG L5R. FFG L5R claims a pedigree from the old game via Roll-and-keep, but my actual experience is that in practice the two systems don’t even feel the same. And that’s not to knock the new game mechanics, just that I feel like I’m playing a completely different game, not just a new edition.

I guess I’m just saying that I think it’d be okay for FFG to market this as a new L5R RPG rather than merely a new edition.

I also realize this is a very subjective differentiation.

Well . . . it looks pretty and i'm sure i'll buy it.

16 hours ago, dlaw008 said:

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of this direction. I've always loved the setting of L5R, I was never a huge fan of the system. It seems really weird that they just released Genesys, a perfectly serviceable system, but won't be using it for this game. I was actually quite excited about L5R as a Genesys setting. After this announcement, though, I'm no longer excited. This direction is mystifying to me.

The product description says this game uses a combination of R&K and the Genesys system. Maybe they started with Genesys but got feedback pushing them to at least adopt some R&K mechanics (this is only a guess based on the information I have available to me)?

35 minutes ago, JSM3050 said:

The product description says this game uses a combination of R&K and the Genesys system. Maybe they started with Genesys but got feedback pushing them to at least adopt some R&K mechanics (this is only a guess based on the information I have available to me)?

If you are taking about the alpha, then maybe.

But if you are taking about the beta then no, see https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/legend-of-the-five-rings-roleplaying-game/ for the beta rules at the bottom of the page.

On 5/1/2018 at 12:20 PM, Daigotsu Arashi said:

I hope it will come with more characters.

Looks like a joke, a shugenja, a tattoed monk, a bushi and a courtier walk into a bar.. and the bartender is a ninja.

Don't know the rest of you but playing with different people I always have only 1 non bushi character in the group

This is my issue with it. I'm a hardcore Crab loyalist, and the Topaz Championship is meant for all the clans. No options for a Crab, Scorpion, or Unicorn player? This will be a hard pass for me. I love the setting, but I'm not paying $40 for an intro module and some dice.

I'll have two, please.

Could the more experienced please let me know if...based on what’s been shown/changed so far in the beta...the new system is as complicated as I’ve read? My level of crunch preference is GeneSys , if that helps. Another big thing I want is a game I can GM on-the-fly, especially when it comes to running NPCs.

Happy to see the game back :). I've been running my Scorpion Victory Campaign for a very long time because the AEG storyline annoyed me. I'm liking that the card game stuff is mostly clan shenanigans so will be happy to see where this goes

1 hour ago, Alderaan Crumbs said:

Could the more experienced please let me know if...based on what’s been shown/changed so far in the beta...the new system is as complicated as I’ve read? My level of crunch preference is GeneSys , if that helps. Another big thing I want is a game I can GM on-the-fly, especially when it comes to running NPCs.

It doesn’t seem all that complicated mechanically. However, getting the narrative parts to work right for your group might be tricky.

It is more crunchy than GeneSys , but more predictable in the Success / Failure metric. Legend of the Five Rings also has one of the deepest lore of games out on the market, so if that is not your jam, I would actually recommend passing on it.

On the flip side, if you like a rich, compelling setting with strong themes and dynamic action? L5R is a good game for that.

The base mechanic is pretty simple. There was a lot more crunch that could be hand-waved, and it was made worse by the horrible, horrible organization of the beta rulebook. Understanding all your options for a given roll involved flipping back and forth between tables scattered all over the book. My hope is that they consolidated all these options into one page of concise tables, as with most options for Advantage and Threat from Genesys. Once you have the general idea firm in your mind, it's pretty easy to make a quick ruling and move on.

13 hours ago, Hida Jitenno said:

This is my issue with it. I'm a hardcore Crab loyalist, and the Topaz Championship is meant for all the clans. No options for a Crab, Scorpion, or Unicorn player? This will be a hard pass for me. I love the setting, but I'm not paying $40 for an intro module and some dice.

Traditionally, two additional characters for the starter set or taster adventure are released as .PDFs alongside it. This has been the case for the 40k and Star Wars intro adventures, anyway.

Our store is getting a copy for the store to use as a demo. the rest of us may go in on it together so its in the group.

I mostly just want a set of dice for the new system

20 hours ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Wow, $40, for a intro box set? I honestly did not look at the price. And here D&D 5th Starter Set was $20. Why so much for a intro box set?

Edited by BlindSamurai13

I don't know how accurate it is buy some stated that it was based on property and measurement of sales.

ie: Starwars is starwars. it's going to sell to someone so they want to sell more at a lower price. on the other hand L5R is "new" so they printed less so the price is higher.

Thats how i understand it anyway.

5 hours ago, Kaiba6798 said:

Our store is getting a copy for the store to use as a demo. the rest of us may go in on it together so its in the group.

I mostly just want a set of dice for the new system

Honestly, you can just do what I did for the Beta, and buy a set of blank white d6s and d12s. You can find them on Amazon, and then use fine point Sharpies to draw the symbols on them.

Upside to this? You can make different symbols different colors, so you can actually make them easier to read than the "all black on white or all white on black" set up of the FFG dice.

17 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Traditionally, two additional characters for the starter set or taster adventure are released as .PDFs alongside it. This has been the case for the 40k and Star Wars intro adventures, anyway.

Okay, well that still leaves one clan out. Even assuming that they do all three, would they go to the same extent with the colorful character folios? Give you everything just as if they had printed it equally to the first four?

10 hours ago, BlindSamurai13 said:

Wow, $40, for a intro box set? I honestly did not look at the price. And here D&D 5th Starter Set was $20. Why so much for a intro box set?

Yeah, $39.95.

And that D&D 5th box contains a 64-page adventure and rulebook, plus 32-page quickstart book, 5 characters with backstory info, plus some dice if I'm not mistaken.

1 hour ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Okay, well that still leaves one clan out. Even assuming that they do all three, would they go to the same extent with the colorful character folios? Give you everything just as if they had printed it equally to the first four?

Yeah, $39.95.

And that D&D 5th box contains a 64-page adventure and rulebook, plus 32-page quickstart book, 5 characters with backstory info, plus some dice if I'm not mistaken.

That is correct. Excellent starter set if I do say so myself.

Yea but DnD prints money and L5R doesn't. Wizards could afford to lose money on boxed sets and L5R can't.

14 hours ago, llamaman88 said:

Yea but DnD prints money and L5R doesn't. Wizards could afford to lose money on boxed sets and L5R can't.

Well, they lose my $40 then, unfortunately. I would go for this set for $20-$25, maaaaaaybe $30 if it has rules for character advancement or the not-character stuff included, like the map, is very well done.

I would honestly expect the final product to clock in around $60 to $100. The way I look at it, if the game is worth 6 hours of play, then it is worth my time at $40. Your average movie ticket is worth $15 these days, and that's 90 to 150 minutes of entertainment. So, this game is the same price as seeing 3 movies in the theaters.

Gaming is a hobby which requires money, and I am not going to begrudge FFG for a product which uses A) new art, B) new components and C) new rules. A boxed set like this has not cost $30 since the 1990's.

I’ll get the core book. Not sure if I’ll play 5th ed, but I do want the core book. I might pick up the intro box to sit next to it on the shelf, but to be honest I’m a little disappointed with the adventure chosen. Every edition so far (except the d20 version? Don’t recall) has had a version of the Topaz Championship as an intro adventure in the book. That kind of makes it iconic, I guess, but could there really not be something else for in the starter box? It uses pregen characters, so it’s not like it would fall to the GM or players to figure out why samurai from 4 different clans are all involved. I was hoping for something a little more original for this separate intro set, especially since the Topaz Championship should be easy to convert for anyone who ever GMed in a previous edition of the game.

3 hours ago, sndwurks said:

I would honestly expect the final product to clock in around $60 to $100. The way I look at it, if the game is worth 6 hours of play, then it is worth my time at $40. Your average movie ticket is worth $15 these days, and that's 90 to 150 minutes of entertainment. So, this game is the same price as seeing 3 movies in the theaters.

Gaming is a hobby which requires money, and I am not going to begrudge FFG for a product which uses A) new art, B) new components and C) new rules. A boxed set like this has not cost $30 since the 1990's.

There are the various Star Wars Beginner Box sets that FFG's produced, with a price point of $30 each, with about half of that being the set of Star Wars dice.

Granted, those boxes were packed in pretty flimsy cardboard, so if the L5R box uses a sturdier grade of cardboard, it'd be worth the added expense.

On 5/2/2018 at 2:13 PM, Hida Jitenno said:

Bruh. It's a role-playing game. Try role-playing.

I can understand passing because you don't think there's enough content, sure. But it seems your real gripe is no Crab. Try a different Clan.

I'm Scorpion first. Unicorn when I'm feeling frisky.

But I'm playing an Ikoma Bard in my current game and it's great. There's something to enjoy in every Clan.

It's like you're proud you've limited your ability to have fun.

I should point out that Star Wars had two downloadable PC sheets because there are only 6 careers, and each character covers 1 career. That doesn't prevent them from releasing three characters for this game.