A warning about DELL computers....

By martok2112, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

Do NOT EVER buy a Dell computer that is purported to be a gaming platform or CG modeling PC.

I was in the throes of finishing my refit USS Enterprise CG model in Blender. Just as I hit the "Save" button in Blender, my piece of s*** Dell computer (which is supposed to be a "gaming rig"--which means it should definitely be able to handle CG modeling) decided to randomly "reset" itself. It has done this several times since I've bought it, but this time it decided to do it at the most inopportune of times.

The end result....I lost my finished refit of the USS Enterprise. (Thankfully, I never put all my eggs in one basket, and have older saves....so all is not lost, I'm just going to have to go back and rebuild certain components again -- largely cosmetic things like phaser banks, nomenclature strips, check for normals placement, etc.)

But folks, take my advice and NEVER buy a Dell computer for anything but the most basic computer needs (internet maybe word processing, etc.) If you see a DELL computer that is supposed to be a gaming rig....AVOID it with extreme prejudice.

Edited by martok2112

Uhhh. Wow really off topic.

Well...this is the off topic section.

I don’t begrudge the list time at all - that completely blows... however, Question though, at rant target...

What is it about Dell computers, and not just this singular Dell?

i mean my old man used to run a small computer store, and random dud components from all manufacturers just... kind of happened... now and then...

Under full load, so many things temp overheat and force restarts...

min just wondering what data exists to show it’s a continual dell problem, rather than just an individual component problem that could hit any distributor?

Hi, Drasnighta.

Perhaps you're right. it may just be that this particular computer has some really substandard or faulty components.

I basically had to "settle" for a Dell gaming rig on a particular Black Friday at the time that Star Wars Ep VII: TFA was getting ready to be released. At that time, there was a SWVII gaming rig that I was looking to buy, and when I went to Best Buy, I had just missed the last of that model in stock by like five minutes. (GAAAAAHHHHH!!!!) So, I looked at the specs on the Dell, and thought: "Hmm....ok....I'll give it a shot."

This Dell has done random resets on me more than once, and usually, when I was doing something as simple (seemingly) as surfing the net. But, this time with losing my Enterprise build at the point it was at....that was the kicker right there.

I am aware that Alienware is a Dell design. The gaming rig I got was not Alienware, but it is a Dell. Perhaps if I could've afforded an Alienware rig...this might not have happened. I would presume that Alienware is built with far better components than your average "gaming rig" put out by the mother company.

So, let me amend my statement by saying: "Do not get a Dell computer that says it's a gaming rig unless it is an Alienware rig." :) (Of course, I've never owned an Alienware....so take this with a grain of salt....or the whole darned shaker.) :D

Edited by martok2112
  • Dell is terrible.
  • water is wet.
  • gods are fairytales

any other obvious thing turns up just add it to the list.

Edited by Geressen

LOL!

Suddenly I'm reminded of a comic book promotional from years back.. Cannot remember the title, but the tagline was funny.

Paraphrased:

"(Main character) doesn't believe in God or the Devil. But that's ok. Satan doesn't think much of him either." :D

Edited by martok2112

Well if it's any consolation Dell did make the HAL 9000.

15 hours ago, martok2112 said:

LOL!

Suddenly I'm reminded of a comic book promotional from years back.. Cannot remember the title, but the tagline was funny.

Paraphrased:

"(Main character) doesn't believe in God or the Devil. But that's ok. Satan doesn't think much of him either." :D

Sounds Terry Pratchett-ish in the turn of phrase.

It is amazing how millions of people worship something based on a book wherein the personification of evil seems to be the more morally justifiable character.

best not to think about it too much, the aformentioned people certainly don't.

Edited by Geressen

You don't believe. I do. Doesn't make either of us better than the other. I respect your inclination to disbelieve.

Besides, as a worthy quote goes: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. ". :)

Of course, I'd love to know what spiritualism, religion, or atheism had to do with the price of tea in China in this thread?

Edited by martok2112
Trying to keep things respectful, even if a certain other poster is given to trolling

Besides, as a worthy quote goes: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. ". :)

Kind of funny, because the point of this quote is that you should believe nothing unless there is evidence.

It's used to refute conspiracy theories where people claim that there is no proof because the conspirators have hidden it all! :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Democratus said:

Kind of funny, because the point of this quote is that you should believe nothing unless there is evidence.

It's used to refute conspiracy theories where people claim that there is no proof because the conspirators have hidden it all! :ph34r:

Not sure about your analysis there. It literally just means you can't dismiss something as absent purely on the grounds that you have no evidence of its presence.

From its wiki page:

If someone were to assert that there is an elephant in the room, then the failure to observe an elephant there, would be a good reason to think that there is no elephant there. Yet if someone were to assert that there is a flea on an elephant, then one's failure to observe it, would not constitute good evidence that there is no flea on the elephant. The important difference between these two cases is that in the first, but not the second, we should expect to see some evidence of the entity if, in fact, it existed.

Gaylord Livingston , "Better Wisdom"

If you want to argue that we have taken such measurements that would preclude the presence of the flea - great. But having no evidence that the flea exists is not, on its own, sufficient to discount its presence.

No, what I'm referring to is that something that is not falsifiable can not be positively asserted.

In the (badly structured) flea/elephant argument, a person asserting that a flea exists has the burden of proof.

Otherwise the flea is just a wild imagining. Taking at face value that there IS a flea (or a tiny Easter Bunny, or an invisible leprechaun) on the elephant is little different from Russell's teapot.

Claiming that the flea may very well be there but is undetected is making no claim at all.

From Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World":

A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage. I seriously make such an assertion to you. Surely you’d want to check it out, see for yourself. There have been innumerable stories of dragons over the centuries, but no real evidence. What an opportunity!

‘Show me ,’ you say. I lead you to my garage. You look inside and see … no dragon. ‘Where’s the dragon’ you ask?” ‘ Oh, she’s right here ,’ I reply, waving vaguely. ‘I neglected to mention that she’s an invisible dragon .’ You propose spreading flour on the floor of the garage to capture the dragon’s footprints. ‘ Good idea ,’ I say, ‘but this dragon floats in the air .’ Then you’ll use an infrared sensor to detect the invisible fire. ‘ Good idea, but the invisible fire is also heatless .’ You’ll spray-paint the dragon and make her visible. ‘ Good idea, except she’s an incorporeal dragon and the paint won’t stick.’ And so on. I counter every physical test you propose with a special explanation of why it won’t work.

Now, what’s the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all?

Bottom line is:

Why bring up gods or lack thereof in a topic that had nothing to do with such? Why ram atheistic views down others' throats when there was even no intent on the part of the OP of invoking gods or lack thereof in this thread?

Intended as a joke, as I believe.

Off color to those who believe in God.

Probably not intended that way in the initial post.

Probably not worth getting worked up about on either side any more than already is the case, as this is the off topic forum for a board game, and hardly a place anyone on either side can expect rigorous life altering debate.

Yeah, I think you're right, Broba Fett. :)

I believe this thread turned into a very elaborate daeus ex machina joke some where along the line. Also as interesting as this debate is I have to side with the notion of nutrality on the forum on the following topics: religion, and politics (if there are any others let me know). For these topics will turn any group of people into rage fueled simmions, and by consequence the forums they frequent into the Cuyahoga river circa the 1960's (look it up if you don't get it, I live in North East Ohio and I use it as a kind of humours 'well it cant get any worse').

Change your power settings to drop performance levels when it gets hot and invest in a can of air to clear out the fans.

Should fix this for you.

Thanks, Ginkapo.

I am also considering looking at other gaming rigs...perhaps ASUS, or even (gasp...eeek) an Alienware. :)

27 minutes ago, martok2112 said:

Thanks, Ginkapo.

I am also considering looking at other gaming rigs...perhaps ASUS, or even (gasp...eeek) an Alienware. :)

Try velocity micro I have an older gaming PC from them I really like it, left me plenty of room to expand hardware. As a plus no crap tastic extra programs you have to root out!

Thanks, Noosh. I'll look that up.

"It is a wise man who listens to varying counsel to leave his options open." -Martok2112 (imagine that in the voice of Don Vito Corleone) :D

20 hours ago, martok2112 said:

Thanks, Ginkapo.

This the laptop I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KB0WJ1G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's able to run all my games on high or max settings with no issues. I bought it to play Mass Effect Andromeda and it worked great, except for the cooling. Some games will generate a lot of heat, like MEA, Witcher 3, or Skyrim.

Go with ASUS if you want a better laptop. I've compared and Alienware is always more expensive for similar machines.

On 17-4-2018 at 10:13 PM, BrobaFett said:

Intended as a joke, as I believe.

Off color to those who believe in God.

Hey now, I specifically mentioned gods. plural.

I like to be inclusive like that. not nice to exclude polytheistic religions like the hindus or the occasional revivalist grecco-roman, egyptian, or norse pantheon worshippers to name few of thousands.

Edited by Geressen
5 hours ago, Geressen said:

Hey now, I specifically mentioned gods. plural.

I like to be inclusive like that. not nice to exclude polytheistic religions like the hindus or the occasional revivalist grecco-roman, egyptian, or norse pantheon worshippers to name few of thousands.

Don't forget Elvis! :D

Don't forget Elvis! :D

no Elvis I think did exist.