Zealux Myr's Legion Workshop

By ZealuxMyr, in Painting

Those guys look awesome, as does the gun.

Got distracted from my FFG official miniatures again...by Legion Scale "Baby Yoda"

FVyLeuy.jpg JGI9NcQ.jpg

This time he be eating a little frog. Scaled down version of this model:

mGPQkBY.jpg

Why did I buy a 3D printer? Why, to exponentially increase my back-log of miniatures to paint, of course!

Empire Strikes Back (Classic) Snowtrooper E-Web Emplacement Team

YEyu72N.jpg I0kOERC.jpg ay7HeWW.jpg kW3YigP.jpg

Empire Strikes Back (Classic) Snowtrooper Squad #2

vvvst26.jpg nvy2zj6.jpg vQqAoS7.jpg

Empire Strikes Back (Classic) Snowtrooper Squad #1 & Snowtrooper Squad #2 Commander Unit Comparison

hca2GGX.jpg RqLRJoc.jpg

Subtle differences...are subtle...

74-Z Speeder Bikes (finally) join the Imperial Kashyyyk Occupation Detachment

GFvTh9s.jpg MTB5IrQ.jpg wC9jBnc.jpg

The whole Imperial Kashyyyk Occupation Detachment, ready to hunt down some walking carpets!

Xn7ZcAo.jpg 2J3IBZf.jpg

Now on to the next 2 sets of 74-Z Speed Bikes...the bikes are done, just have to do the riders! 🙂

Skirata's Private Army

All of the following characters come from the Republic Commando book series by author Karen Traviss, a book series that was brought to an early end by Mickey the Mouse's authoritarian rule. (...Totally not still bitter about this...)

Sergeant Kal Skirata with Omega Squad, Republic Commandos

OAWvAyi.jpg

RC-1309 "Niner"

xWSVxVh.jpg

RC-8015 "Fi"

2fzy9Zd.jpg

RC-1136 "Darman"

yuAlhnt.jpg

RC-3222 "Atin"

9z7uW0h.jpg

RC-5108/8843 "Corr"

5HYmsYI.jpg

Null-class ARC Troopers, Skirata's adoptive sons and vode an . (brothers all)

sbAAgar.jpg

N-11, Captain Ordo

6J8dN1D.jpg JidT0ep.jpg

N-7, Lieutenant Mereel

85z5j3z.jpg BVZ3lPH.jpg

N-6, Lieutenant Kom'rk

aaDYnyh.jpg Cf51Cq1.jpg

N-5, Lieutenant Prudii

vw7hSQz.jpg k5e1fiX.jpg

N-10, Lieutenant Jaing

82ri9r5.jpg p8VaDr3.jpg

N-12, Sergeant A'den

Karklq1.jpg wPp7Kc0.jpg

--

Kandosii! With the exception of the FFG official Boba Fett model a la Kal Skirata, these are all 3D printed STL files. They were printed on an Anycubic Photon SLA printer at 0.020mm layer height, about 10 hours to print and absolutely worth it.

Amazing work! Still sad we never got an RC2 to find out what happened to Sev and the rest of the war.

Also, Was it Corr who had prosthetic arms? Could have be neat to alter one to have robo arms haha

Those Republic Commando books were SO good.

1 hour ago, BlueSquadronPilot said:

Amazing work! Still sad we never got an RC2 to find out what happened to Sev and the rest of the war.

Also, Was it Corr who had prosthetic arms? Could have be neat to alter one to have robo arms haha

I'd say we could hope for a new RC2 now that EA has gone through the trouble to build the model for use in BFII. But it would be a RC2 by the EA-pire, and my expectations would not be met (period).

Corr is the one with prosthetic arms, would've been fun to make that obvious on the model *but* when Captain Ordo first meets Corr he has to remove his standard issue Phase I clone gauntlet for Ordo to know he has prosthetic arms. If standard issue grunt armor can hide prosthetic, Mark III Katarn -class armor certainly should do the same. So, thematic! (I had this whole thought process and argument with me, myself, and I while doing the models 😉 )

Edited by ZealuxMyr
7 hours ago, ZealuxMyr said:

I'd say we could hope for a new RC2 now that EA has gone through the trouble to build the model for use in BFII. But it would be a RC2 by the EA-pire, and my expectations would not be met (period).

Corr is the one with prosthetic arms, would've been fun to make that obvious on the model *but* when Captain Ordo first meets Corr he has to remove his standard issue Phase I clone gauntlet for Ordo to know he has prosthetic arms. If standard issue grunt armor can hide prosthetic, Mark III Katarn -class armor certainly should do the same. So, thematic! (I had this whole thought process and argument with me, myself, and I while doing the models 😉 )

Maybe one day, EA or not, we will get a rebooted RC game. Would be nice to have the original voice actors too. The little details I seem to have forgotten, I am going to have to crack those books open again now that you've stoked that fire with your work haha!

Do you plan on making Delta squad? I can't recall if it was you or someone else who had done some already

28 minutes ago, BlueSquadronPilot said:

Maybe one day, EA or not, we will get a rebooted RC game. Would be nice to have the original voice actors too. The little details I seem to have forgotten, I am going to have to crack those books open again now that you've stoked that fire with your work haha!

Do you plan on making Delta squad? I can't recall if it was you or someone else who had done some already

I have seen others on the forums do Delta Squad. I have printed and primed them but haven't gotten to finishing them off yet. I'm not overly enthusiastic to tackle Scorch's yellow striping or Boss's orange. Next up in my Legion paint queue are some Imperial Purge Troopers followed by some Phase 0 Dark Troopers - Battlefront (2004) sculpt. [*scrolls to last post* I have apparently completely forgotten that I'm in the literal middle of finishing two sets of Imperial 74-Z Speeder Bikes...just the riders to do...]

Edited by ZealuxMyr

Imperial Purge Troopers

Have not gotten to basing them yet, but there's a second squad coming and a squad of Dark Troopers. I'll base all three together and showcase later :)

ufMNQBD.jpg dVl5KTX.jpg tB8PvJD.jpg

--

3D printed STL files, originally intended to be GAR Airborne troopers, on an Anycubic Photon at 0.020mm layer height.

--

Edit 10-16-2020: took more photos, still need to base these guys...

eE7zkcF.jpg iP4Z2je.jpg zxkKh4y.jpg LLzGF6E.jpg

Edited by ZealuxMyr
1 hour ago, ZealuxMyr said:

3D printed STL files, originally intended to be GAR Airborne troopers, on an Anycubic Photon at 0.020mm layer height.

So I've been thinking about getting a resin printer for printing miniatures and other small fine-detail stuff. Roughly how long does it take to print one of those Purge Troopers? The Photon is the machine I was thinking about getting.

5 hours ago, oreet said:

So I've been thinking about getting a resin printer for printing miniatures and other small fine-detail stuff. Roughly how long does it take to print one of those Purge Troopers? The Photon is the machine I was thinking about getting.

Depends on layer height. I was printing at 0.020mm and it was taking around 9hours. I've recently started printing at 0.030mm layer height and it now takes just about 6hours. I certainly cannot spot the difference between the two, side by side so I've elected to go 10 microns thicker and save some time. Ultimately a moot point as I usually print overnight or when at work, so I'm not swapping prints when its done regardless. The *new* Anycubic Mono and Anycubic Mono X cost more than the Photon but are probably worth the cash if you're just getting into printing. They use 4K monochrome screens instead of 2K LCD screens, this gives them a longer lifespan and faster cure-print times. Anycubic advertises the Mono prints 3x faster than the Photon, so you could pop a squad of these guys off in <2hrs at 0.030mm layer height.

5 minutes ago, ZealuxMyr said:

Depends on layer height. I was printing at 0.020mm and it was taking around 9hours. I've recently started printing at 0.030mm layer height and it now takes just about 6hours. I certainly cannot spot the difference between the two, side by side so I've elected to go 10 microns thicker and save some time. Ultimately a moot point as I usually print overnight or when at work, so I'm not swapping prints when its done regardless. The *new* Anycubic Mono and Anycubic Mono X cost more than the Photon but are probably worth the cash if you're just getting into printing. They use 4K monochrome screens instead of 2K LCD screens, this gives them a longer lifespan and faster cure-print times. Anycubic advertises the Mono prints 3x faster than the Photon, so you could pop a squad of these guys off in <2hrs at 0.030mm layer height.

Thanks for the into. I don't know much at all about resin printers, but I've had an Ender 5 Pro since May or so, so I'm familiar with working with plastic filament printers. I know there's a lot more to be concerned about with the resin machines, especially because of how toxic the uncured resin can be, and models require a lot of post-printing work, like cleaning off the uncured resin and UV setting/curing the model after that.

44 minutes ago, oreet said:

Thanks for the into. I don't know much at all about resin printers, but I've had an Ender 5 Pro since May or so, so I'm familiar with working with plastic filament printers. I know there's a lot more to be concerned about with the resin machines, especially because of how toxic the uncured resin can be, and models require a lot of post-printing work, like cleaning off the uncured resin and UV setting/curing the model after that.

I do not have a PLA printer, so keep that in mind as I say this, but if you're competent with a PLA printer you should have no issues with an SLA printer. My opinion (I do have coworkers and friends with PLA printers and listening to what they have to deal with affirms this) is that SLA is a lot easier than PLA. As long as you have access to a ventilated work space, rubber gloves, and alcohol it's pretty easy.

When I clean a model after printing it takes less than 5 minutes. I use two plastic food containers with a locking lids that I've partially filled with 70% isopropanol. I shake the freshly printed model (still on supports) vigorously for approx. 30s in the "first rinse" container and then shake it mostly dry before repeating the process in the "second rinse" container for approx. 30s. After that it's just a matter of running the print under hot water and separating the model from the supports (I've found running/submerging in hot water very much so helps with this). Post-print curing with a UV lamp isn't a huge deal, a few minutes per side usually suffices - the thinner the model parts the less time you'll want. I typically get all my post-print curing time in while mounting the model to the 3D printed base; little dab of resin on the feet and hit with the UV lamp does both jobs at once.

Phase 0 Dark Troopers

STL files from Medburyminitures on Thingivierse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4590337

I am absolutely in love with these figures. Everything about them, from their highly dynamic poses, the potential energy in the frozen movement, and the fact that they're freaking Dark Troopers has me in awe of these models. Now I just have to base them!

Vz2D6ob.jpg FLUAfZe.jpg G57uuFf.jpg 1xRmsvW.jpg

--

Printed on an Anycubic Photon in Grey Resin at 0.030mm layer height.

Edited by ZealuxMyr

Imperial Purge Troopers (Squad 02)

Still need to get to basing...

g1qYhBc.jpg BIYWtCH.jpg 6tK8XDq.jpg SD1qOer.jpg

--

Printed on an Anycubic Photon at 0.020mm layer height. Crouching unit sports an additional Republic Commando Communications backpack I had extra from my RC projects.

This is the Way: I'll Paint Anything to Avoid My White-Armored Troopers

I made 16 unique 3D prints of some Mandalorian Warriors, at this point I am 3/16 of the way into them so here's the work in progress so far:

NiSzJ5X.jpg W2hJeaB.jpg 6o4JAE6.jpg

rg2jtPo.jpg k2v99Oi.jpg oMAUt5u.jpg

3w8Yf1v.jpg CtvEtHw.jpg Chb1M79.jpg

--

Printed on an Anycubic Photon at 0.030mm layer height.

Spooky Halloween Tangent: Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains!

Still need to base them but I also have 6 more to do so I'll get to that eventually. ("I'll eventually get around to basing my models" is currently filed under " Misc: Lies I Tell Myself ")

MXYaBxo.jpg FKbt9Il.jpg ihKM3XX.jpg b3UkovM.jpg zi7wMiL.jpg 3ZkgKdZ.jpg

--

3D Files printed on an Anycubic Photon at 0.030mm layer height. Probably the most cathartic project I've taken on, so fantastic to look at a white primed miniature and then give exactly zero pumpkins about keeping it clean and orderly!!

These are the correct Death Troopers. They look great!

Spooky Halloween Tangent: Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains!

Squad number two of the zombie platoon. Still left to do: 2x Zombie Officers, 2x Zombie AT-ST drivers, and 1x Zombie AT-ST + 2x integrated drivers.

l2F3De0.jpg l7tCHG7.jpg CYVyBEm.jpg BLhNWCC.jpg qt7gExr.jpg OStm7ab.jpg

And a beskad wielding madman taking them all on:

0zvxvtJ.jpg

Krill Squad - Republic Commandoes Deployed to Kashyyyk

"Krill" for the pronunciation of the aurebesh letter for "K." Backstory: deployed to Kashyyyk to perform asset denial missions behind CIS battle lines with the secondary objective to uncover intelligence for the location and recovery of RC-1207 of Delta Squad, MIA.

I still have to base these models, and my backlog of miniatures to base is *exploding* (which is a good thing, that means I am painting!), but am waiting because I have a whole 8 ARF troopers in a similar jungle theme coming. I've deviated from the canon Kashyyyk theme, but I still did a good homage in my honest opinion.

MBELNZs.jpg

5tukso6.jpg 2APeQka.jpg

ZyXIe1F.jpg yqYf17b.jpg

4dsoWuy.jpg ml4s101.jpg

TRPPXCp.jpg MaHg0rT.jpg

Is the T-visor actually iridescent? Or are you just crazy-good with highlights? Either way, they look fantastic!

15 hours ago, SFC Snuffy said:

Is the T-visor actually iridescent? Or are you just crazy-good with highlights? Either way, they look fantastic!

The T-Visor is Tamiya X-13, a gloss metallic blue.

Kashyyyk Defenders: Jungle ARF Troopers

SnNSO6K.jpg anWF0ax.jpg

bb2tovm.jpg Pg4VoSG.jpg i4ieEg9.jpg IREWwxi.jpg h9qKXoL.jpg TU5xnt2.jpg huJbj2R.jpg fLeswui.jpg

SBhnSAO.jpg