Zealux Myr's Legion Workshop

By ZealuxMyr, in Painting

And so it begins!

Imperial 501st Legion Commander

4XsQ8fs.jpg

The First Three Finished Imperial 501st Legion Troops

NFTziFS.jpg 03lRfRe.jpg HOYFhZ5.jpg

Went to an assembly line mentality, have just the black detailing done on these ten...once I get the remaining 29 stormies and 6 speeder troops detailed I'll move on to the gloss black helmet lenses, light grey, blue, and dark blue detailing to finish them all off! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then I'll have all the rebel troopers to do...

M0704Ku.jpg TxGQ8YX.jpg

Edited by ZealuxMyr

Well done!

What colour was the blue?

Citadel's Caledor Sky.

Darth Vader

I needed a break from all the stormtroopers that I am still working on...

DUki3fr.jpg

I still have some highlighting and contrast to add, plus the all-important saber glow. But I've reenergized myself to get back to the horde of stormies... :blink:

Nice one buddy, all looking good :) I like how clean the troopers are.

I don't know if I'm being too meticulous in all the details I'm trying to paint or if I just don't have as much time to invest as everyone else...but I have more WIP photos, none of these are done yet...

Imperial forces: 1 Vader, 3 "normal" stormie platoons (1 orange pauldron commander, 1 grey pauldron commander, and 1 black pauldron commander), two 501st-Vader's Fist platoons (grey pauldron commander w/teal stripe on left shoulder pad-rest of platoon has a matching stripe and the black pauldron commander), and 5/7ths of an Imperial Shock Trooper platoon (orange pauldron commander).

For those that are going to notice these things: yes those are 3D printed concept-prototype Y-Wings for X-Wing Miniatures (2.0! OMG SO EXCITED), 3D printed ski-speeders, 3D printed container tokens, and there is a BB-9E cat toy on the floor. All the 3D printed stuff is from Shapeways - a mix of Mel's Miniatures and Alien Luxury Miniatures, both of which are better at taking my money than even A$MODEE games/FFG is...

fa6BRr7.jpg

Close-up of the Imperial Shock Troopers , 501st in the background - as you can see (save the back 3, left 501st troops) no one has gotten Nuln Oil detailing/highlights yet...

wNHEZBm.jpg

Specialty Commander Units

The nails are from painting 1/270th scale 3D printed vulture droids - magnetized. Holy Hot & Steamy Jar Jar Erotica those things are tiny...

lwRt4xS.jpg rPbxBU1.jpg J0cQ60A.jpg

The Normie Stormies - I think I will be doing a left shoulder stripe to distinguish each platoon, grey (matching grey pauldron commander) and darker grey (to go with the black pauldron commander).

JOYrK6x.jpg

That is quite an impressive force of Stormtroopers/Shocktroopers. Well done!

On 4/12/2018 at 5:47 AM, ZealuxMyr said:

Darth Vader

I needed a break from all the stormtroopers that I am still working on...

DUki3fr.jpg

I still have some highlighting and contrast to add, plus the all-important saber glow. But I've reenergized myself to get back to the horde of stormies... :blink:

Awesome. What did you use to get the shine on the armor?

14 minutes ago, mr_mithrandir said:

Awesome. What did you use to get the shine on the armor?

Tamiya X-1 Black model paint.

It's a gloss paint that I typically use it for X-Wing Miniatures and Armada fighter squadrons cockpits. Been using it for my stormtrooper's helmet lenses and it also works well for certain parts of Lord Vader. His shins, boots, chest and arms have it too - just those got a dulling dry brushing of matte black paint. The helmet stayed glossy, cause that's how he supposed to look :)

The way you have used the glossy black is excellent and really makes him look like he does in the films. The stormtroopers look great as well.

I’m in the same boat as you. I have two stormtrooper units done, along with Vader and Luke, the soeederbikes and one of the two rebel trooper units from my first core set. I picked up a second core set along with an airspeeder and an AT ST. So still a lot of painting to do and no time. It’s okay - we will get there eventually!

Ouch, Necroing my own painting thread...all those fracking X-Wing repaints and Armada squadrons I've been painting...

I did finish all 6 squads of Stormies finally, buy I have not lined them up for a photo yet. I've since moved on by starting to mod 1 squad of Rebel Troopers (into a squad of Mon Calamari) but got distracted by starting to paint both my squads of Rebel Fleet Troopers...I've since been distracted once more, so here's one finished Fleet Trooper Commander mini:

56GRWX1.jpg

I got distracted from my fleet troopers by X-Wing repaints and, when returning to Legion painting, I completely disregarded my Fleet Trooper progress and went headlong into painting Chewbacca and a full squad of Wookiee Warriors (by the force, Wookiees are awesomely fun to paint):

4jH7IfZ.jpg YwfTaLM.jpg stHDNbt.jpg iaqzFqP.jpg rygdPOb.jpg sBHIfee.jpg 6u7Mkey.jpg Y9eAvrY.jpg

I've started my second squad of Wookiee Warriors (painting Emperor Palpatine in between - did not take photos of him yet) and we'll see how that goes...

Edited by ZealuxMyr

Second Squad of Wookiee Warriors

6AWDlyK.jpg

fzDAecF.jpg A7GBLZ7.jpg 0Hip6w1.jpg MLOSInj.jpg Tw3ZoMe.jpg il9xNIf.jpg AVBGwUE.jpg 2kqK0IC.jpg

Finally got around to lining up all of my completed Stormies, so happy they are done. It feels really good to see progress progressing progressively...but there is so, so much more to paint...

2PR8ues.jpg 6VB0OO2.jpg 00GmTYT.jpg TAjZPV5.jpg 5T51dXH.jpg iq9vQNh.jpg t8m0F06.jpg 6lrLGpf.jpg

Your Vader looks awesome. Like the gloss effect you achieved. Your wookie squads are great. I too picked up 2 squads and every wookie is going to look unique. I did the same for my Royal Guards. I did 4 Red/Maroon (RotJ) 2 Black/Red (comic) 2 Blues (Clone Wars throwback)

Imperial Officers

I swear their skin is a real skin tone in person, for some reason they look yellow when photographed (these are not Simpsons Officers).

M6HzH02.jpg 864fECo.jpg 5Q5AVyV.jpg LOfCXYW.jpg jrvMxaf.jpg

Got distracted from painting my FFG models by a 3D Printed BB-8 unit from the Mel's Miniatures shop on Shapeways...

cFX9ItV.jpg IkANUPQ.jpg XHnHhd2.jpg

(Why yes that is a WIP M9-G8, again Mel's)

Aww.... He looks perfect

Communication Technician - alternate blue color scheme

4JIs3oO.jpg qdi0OSL.jpg 3DbJFpL.jpg HBqtnhB.jpg

M9-G8 (Mel's Miniatures)

Occsz7m.jpg

Boba Fett test assembly (bloody fantastic idea shamelessly stolen from here:

LxF2PFd.jpg

And the parts I'm not using from Boba Fett, thanks to this mod, were used to fix this Fallout: New California game piece:

Ar0dHGg.jpg

Imperial Scout - Ready for the Forrest Floor of Endor

8dIg5ss.jpg UmAhU6g.jpg CseslSP.jpg dA6I3Im.jpg

I still have the florescent-gloss-green visor lense to do...but I had to order the paint from Amazon so I'll get to that when it comes in...

WIP Pics:

Reference Photo (Episode III Kashyyyk Clones)

AUU6sOx.jpg

Base coating: Tamiya XF-62 Olive Drab as base color and Citadel Nurgling Green for the armor plates.

jnCA2kw.jpg

Base coats pretty much completed

UKmilI6.jpg

Detail straps, pouches, and guns

eXRYzZw.jpg

Add camo pattern (random striping/dotting of 5 different colors: 3 shades of green and 2 complimentary shades of brown)

cO2nJfu.jpg yyNKUDu.jpg

Trim boot bottoms in black and darkwash

8dIg5ss.jpg

...final step with gloss-green visor coming soon...

Imperial Scout with finished gloss-green visor

0ysXOr7.jpg

General Steps to Completion:

1. Olive Drab Base (Tamiya XF-62)
  2. Nurgling Green Armor Plates
  3. Mix (4:7) Olive Drab:Mournfang Brown Gloves
  4. Elysian Green straps
  5. Ogryn Camo Large Pouches
  6. Zandri Dust Small Pouches
  7. Mournfang Brown Buckles
  8. Ogryn Camo Camo Swatches
  9. Elysian Green Camo Swatches
  10. Loren Forest Camo Swatches
  11. Zandri Dust Camo Swatches
  12. XV-66 (Brown) Camo Swatches
  13. Abaddon Black boot bottoms
  14. 1:8 Nuln Oil:Windex dark wash
  15. Gloss Fluorescent Light Green Lens (Tamiya X-15 Light Green)

Unless otherwise identified paint colors/names are all Citadel.

Edited by ZealuxMyr

Kashyyyk, My Lord, is ready to fall...

POhCCde.jpg ZZsi7xR.jpg X4WMV7v.jpg

Death Troopers

These guys don't play well with lighting in photos...they either disappear into darkness or shimmer in glossy-reflection...

sCaEwls.jpg

a5XBO32.jpg

Base coat: Citadel's Abaddon Black & Armor plates: Tamiya's X-1 Gloss Black

Death Troopers (Squad 2)

Again, these glossy boys are hard to get a good photo of...

RmSNN6b.jpg

TX-225 GAVw Occupier Combat Assault Tank

zYl8Wl7.jpg qyBbSkH.jpg uP1EfdS.jpg wFRtJOO.jpg yEC3fV9.jpg