Recover and Suppression Action

By TallGiraffe, in Rules

So I was looking through the rulebook for this a bit and I wonder.

If you use the recover action while suppressed, do you gain another action?

Pg42 Suppression

"During the “Perform Actions” step of a trooper unit’s activation, if it has a number of suppression tokens assigned to it that is equal to or greater than its courage value, a player can perform only one action instead of two (plus any number of free actions)."

So it states during the Perform Actions step here. What if I am no longer suppressed?

Then here at pg12

"Perform Actions: A unit that is not suppressed can perform up to two actions and any number of free actions. A unit that is suppressed or that has lost an action due to being damaged can perform only one action and any number of free actions."

Does the act of being suppressed at first still grant you only one action?

I am curious to see how others see this which is why I am posting it.

According to the Activation entry in the RRG, you check for suppression at step 3. If you are suppressed, you only get one regular action. Nothing indicates you can check again after that action.

Edited by Gullwind

It only matters if you are suppressed after the Rally step.

You can spend your one action recovering, but you still only get one action.

Wouldn't it a bit too easy when you could just recover and suddenly have another action? Every unit would just use the recover when they have suppression tokens.

6 hours ago, Gullwind said:

According to the Activation entry in the RRG, you check for suppression at step 3. If you are suppressed, you only get one regular action. Nothing indicates you can check again after that action.

The sub bullet point of bullet three in the suppression section could however be read as a constant check. I don’t believe you are only checking once during the rally portion.

It amounts to the same thing for this interaction(you’d still only have one action), but it matters for the interaction of being shot during your activation.

16 minutes ago, Thoras said:

The sub bullet point of bullet three in the suppression section could however be read as a constant check. I don’t believe you are only checking once during the rally portion.

It amounts to the same thing for this interaction(you’d still only have one action), but it matters for the interaction of being shot during your activation.

I think you're right. The first sub point under the third bullet point under Suppression says "during" the Perform Action step. That does suggest a constant check, otherwise it would say "at the start of" the Perform Action step.

On Pg 21 in the courage section it makes it sound more like ‘Supressed ‘ is a condition assigned if you have suppression tokens equal to courage. You specifically check for this condition ‘after the rally step’. In FFG games, ‘after’ is a specific timing, not just any time after this happens. Looks like another example of some contradictions in the RRG.

8 hours ago, Gullwind said:

I think you're right. The first sub point under the third bullet point under Suppression says "during" the Perform Action step. That does suggest a constant check, otherwise it would say "at the start of" the Perform Action step.

RRG p. 21 under Courage states:

After the “Rally” step of a trooper unit’s activation, if that unit has a number of suppression tokens assigned to it that, is equal to or greater than that trooper’s courage value, that unit is suppressed. A suppressed unit performs one fewer action during its activation.

The bullet point under Suppression (p. 42) is a sub-point, relating to the context of the "During the "rally" step of a unit's activation", as such I would interpret it as a consequence / reminder of what happens as a result of the main point, as such must be read with it's parent point and not as a stand alone sentence. Therefore the check is happening during the Rally step, but effects the Perform Actions step.

Edited by Alathazal
clarification added.