What are the rules on unit modification

By irav222, in Rules

I want to mount my speeder bikes using magnets/steel ball and an acrylic rod to the base to be able to pose it(ie banking). Are there rules against this in organised play?

No one knows, no rules have been posted yet.

Normally, as long as you can recognize the model, all modifications are fine. But if your Speeder bikes have suddenly 4 pilots, a big turrent, extra missiles and wings, it will be hard to see if this is still a speeder bike ;)

Questions might arise if the height of a unit varies throughout a game due to the modifications.

1 minute ago, Digimortal said:

Questions might arise if the height of a unit varies throughout a game due to the modifications.

Or even, at all.

Reason being, if your speeder bikes are a few millimeter taller than mine, you get a Line of Sight advantage (able to target past terrain that a standard bike could not).

That means modding which alters mini height provides not merely an aesthetic concern, but an actual gameplay advantage.

I've just been painting minis and haven't read through all the rules yet. I'd height really an issue with the speeders?

2 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Or even, at all.

Reason being, if your speeder bikes are a few millimeter taller than mine, you get a Line of Sight advantage (able to target past terrain that a standard bike could not).

That means modding which alters mini height provides not merely an aesthetic concern, but an actual gameplay advantage.

Is the only thing that impacted by height the confirmation of Line of site? I think cover is still measured based on whether any objects are between the attacker and defender units, so it could be argued that a perminant height difference provides pros and cons:

Pro: Increased chance the unit has line of site as an attacker

Con: Increased chance enemy units have line of site targeting the tall unit as a defender.

The only reason I mention variable as a no no, is you potentially could configure a unit to rise up when attacking and duck down when defending phsyically... although I must say with the terrain I own, I can't see many examples of when this would become a critical factor.

4 minutes ago, irav222 said:

I've just been painting minis and haven't read through all the rules yet. I'd height really an issue with the speeders?

I cant see small changes in height impacting the results of a game, unless we get AT-STs sitting at 3 feet tall tucked in a back corner mortaring the whole board...

Just now, Digimortal said:

Is the only thing that impacted by height the confirmation of Line of site? I think cover is still measured based on whether any objects are between the attacker and defender units, so it could be argued that a perminant height difference provides pros and cons:

Pro: Increased chance the unit has line of site as an attacker

Con: Increased chance enemy units have line of site targeting the tall unit as a defender.

The only reason I mention variable as a no no, is you potentially could configure a unit to rise up when attacking and duck down when defending phsyically... although I must say with the terrain I own, I can't see many examples of when this would become a critical factor.

Also the proportion of the model if the terrain even provides cover. Has to be 50%, If a model was variable it could have the benefit of cover sometimes, hypothetically.

"What are these?"
"This are my Suspension tuned bikes. New anti grav stabs for lower profile, they nearly glide on the ground (speeder value changed to 1/2). Along are some anti silencers, for the real sound of the bikes, sadly they loose a bit on speed this way, but the sound is worth it (speed reduced to 2; noise +1). And i changed to engine for a new diesel one from the public vehicle company (auto disqualification because of illegal engine modification)."

:D :D

The only variable would be the magnet on the ball so the unit could make it look like a bank maneuver. In the case of the speeder bike I guess that would lower the head. I could also keep the mini strait up right during play (the magnet is con cave and fits nicely on ball).

the issue i could see is if you use it to rotate the figure so that it doesn't collide with an object and suffer wounds, it needs to stay in a fixed position the entire game.

3 hours ago, azavander said:

the issue i could see is if you use it to rotate the figure so that it doesn't collide with an object and suffer wounds, it needs to stay in a fixed position the entire game.

You collide if your base overlaps, not if your model does.

31 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

You collide if your base overlaps, not if your model does.

I could not find the rule on base lying flat, the only rule to the base finishing flat is when climbing\clamboring, i think there is an assumption that you otherwise always finish with your base laying flat. That is where my argument falls apart I guess. Unless someone else finds the rule. I looked at: If the unit performs a partial movement because it cannot perform a full movement, the unit immediately suffers a number of wounds equal to its maximum speed. If you were able to rotate your unit because of a magnet, changing the actual position of the mini that could cause the problem since bikes are longer than their bases. Where someone else mini my have the nose prop'd up on a piece of terrain or stop short you could physically manipulate yours to keep that from happening.

I know in x wing and armada you always go by the base for collision. Even in tournaments I've seen a falcon or shuttle removed from a base because the fit was to tight but was legal.