The Nubian design collective's whole vehicle crafting handbook

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

So the Frames automatically get that.

Do I need to re-add "1" to the Reduced Protection column for all the Speeder Bikes?

1 hour ago, salamar_dree said:

So the Frames automatically get that.

Do I need to re-add "1" to the Reduced Protection column for all the Speeder Bikes?

No the least squares solution can absorb that into the frame type.

My current guess is that, because most defects won't be used in any vehicle, I won't be able to cost them separate from the threat/despair... for the ones in a single vehicle (e.g. safety limiters) they'd absorb all misfit making their costing ridiculous.

Edited by EliasWindrider

Okay. I'm going to start on Landspeeders this week.

Any special notes, especially regarding Armor?

7 minutes ago, salamar_dree said:

Okay. I'm going to start on Landspeeders this week.

Any special notes, especially regarding Armor?

Let's give landspeeders and PROBABLY airspeeders reduced protection not sure airspeeders need it or what it'd do to the laats

Edited by EliasWindrider

The BARC Speeder's Sidecar:

Passenger +1, Enc +10, Handling Reduced by 1, can mount a light repeating blaster.

No price or hp cost listed.

I'm inclined to think that 1 of it's HP's is dedicated to a Sidecar, whether installed or not.

The Starhawk's description says Passenger +1 or Enc +10, but the stat block makes it sound like both.

Cr 500, 1 HP (both of these are RAW)

Here's a possible build that fits both:

Speeder Bike Sidecar Attachment :

Cr 500, HP 1

Restriction: Can only be applied to a Speeder Bike or Swoop, neither of which can have the Folding Design.

Base benefits:

Adds a sidecar to the speeder bike. Increase Passengers by 1 and Encumbrance by 10.

Mods:

Pintle Mount: Reduce Handling by 1, and the Sidecar may install a forward-mounted personal scale Gunnery weapon (such as a Light Repeating Blaster).

42 minutes ago, salamar_dree said:

The BARC Speeder's Sidecar:

Passenger +1, Enc +10, Handling Reduced by 1, can mount a light repeating blaster.

No price or hp cost listed.

I'm inclined to think that 1 of it's HP's is dedicated to a Sidecar, whether installed or not.

The Starhawk's description says Passenger +1 or Enc +10, but the stat block makes it sound like both.

Cr 500, 1 HP (both of these are RAW)

Here's a possible build that fits both:

Speeder Bike Sidecar Attachment :

Cr 500, HP 1

Restriction: Can only be applied to a Speeder Bike or Swoop, neither of which can have the Folding Design.

Base benefits:

Adds a sidecar to the speeder bike. Increase Passengers by 1 and Encumbrance by 10.

Mods:

Pintle Mount: Reduce Handling by 1, and the Sidecar may install a forward-mounted personal scale Gunnery weapon (such as a Light Repeating Blaster).

I think there are 2 different approaches a side car attachment for 1 hp, and a modular pod.

the barc side car seems to be a sil 1 speeder bike modular pod, which being a modular pod decreases handling by 1 and lets it mount the weapon on its own hp but since the barc has a modular pod docking clamp it's not counted as a free hp.

The sidecar attachment doesn't have hp so can't mount a weapon but a bike/swoop could mount a weapon for the side car attachment to use.

The barc ought to have 2 sil 1 mod pod docking clamps (left and right sides) other mod pods would be a medevac stretcher/side car. Or dedicated cargo side car.

@salamar_dree

And I don't think that folding design disqualifies the attachment, although s2 should be a requirement.

Edited by EliasWindrider

"I need to reduce the hp cost of mpdc by 1"

I just noticed that it still says that they cost hp = to Sil instead of Sil -1 (min 1).

Note: I added 2 Sil 1 MPDC's to the BARC. This required an added Triumph for Integrated System, which was an easy fix.

Edited by salamar_dree

@EliasWindrider

I got a lot of free time right now and can start stating and data entry, just need access.

@salamar_dree

To both of you, are there any assumptions y'all are making when building that I need to be aware of?

1 hour ago, Gordian Naught said:

@EliasWindrider

I got a lot of free time right now and can start stating and data entry, just need access.

@salamar_dree

To both of you, are there any assumptions y'all are making when building that I need to be aware of?

PM me your email address so that I can give it edit privileges

@EliasWindrider

Thanks

I'll try to get as many done as I can.

2 hours ago, salamar_dree said:

"I need to reduce the hp cost of mpdc by 1"

I just noticed that it still says that they cost hp = to Sil instead of Sil -1 (min 1).

Note: I added 2 Sil 1 MPDC's to the BARC. This required an added Triumph for Integrated System, which was an easy fix.

Top of page 14 says sil -1 , but I forgot to change it in the up front paragraph

4 minutes ago, Gordian Naught said:

@EliasWindrider

Thanks

I'll try to get as many done as I can.

You should have permission now.

@Gordian Naught

No assumptions.

Just know that you might have to build a vehicle several different ways.

I'm bad about having blinders on at times. Just because a ship is, for instance, a warship, it could still be built using a Transport Hull.

@salamar_dree

Ok, so no assumptions.

I can't remember (and don't want to read through 15 pages of posts) if there was an option, in the thread because there isn't an option in the PDF, to reduce the Hull trauma threshold on any of the crafting tables?

I vaguely remember there was talk of one for 2 or 3 threat on Frame and/or the Hull crafting tables.

Edit: Until I get an answer I'm going to work with 2 threat for a -1 HTT on the frame or hull tables.

Edited by Gordian Naught

Another Question.

Are we trying to use little to no modifications on components, like engines and hulls?

Elegant design and raceship hull decrease htt. You want the easiest/lowest risk way to build it which means close to "equal" amounts (in terms of difficulty) of the crafting and mods

And being off by 1 (HTT, SST, Enc) is okay. It often won't be exact.

The RAW vehicle crafting rules and the Nubian Design Collective are both "after the fact" rules.

They are attempts to simulate the vehicles that were all made by the writers "eyeballing" it.

Hence we have 2 similar but different sidecars, 3 versions of the same Mando fighter, rules where a Sil 2 vehicle has an Auto-blaster usable without restrictions (which is RAW), but then a Sil 3 Swoop (which is ridiculously large for a bike) that has an Auto-blaster with paragraphs of restrictions...

@salamar_dree

Ok thanks, that makes me feel a little better about the numbers. I'm a perfectionist and when things don't add up it triggers me, meaning a spiral of try to fix it. 😖

@Gordian Naught

The objective us a 95% quality match for 95% of vehicles. just do your best and if you see significant issues, bring it to my attention.... these rules were "created" through a sequence of iterative improvements to the RAW rules in fully operational... I found or someone else found and informed me of an issue and I came up with the simplest/most general/least abusable fix I could think of. Finding problems in these house rules is a good thing because it lets me fix the problem.

Bottom line is I've tried to reverse engineered a ruleset that encompasses the implicit eyeball process used by a bunch of different game designers who were largely acting in good faith (vs. trying to create the "best" official ship, I don't think that whoever made the croc was acting in good faith because it's dramatically out of pattern with other RAW ships... I think whoever made the kst-100 was trying to make the best in pattern eote legal starting ship... they compared it to the hwk-290 which cost 70K and said to themselves, what could I reasonably add to this for 50K? And then went for no glaring defects rather than across the board awesomeness, it's got several "meh" stats.)

Edited by EliasWindrider

@salamar_dree I think I may need to insert a column for speed... I'm guessing quadratic cost in speed... but I "may" (or may not) be able to work around it with cost of the base engine and mods and enhance output and patrol ship but... that would be rather complicated... so before we get too much further could you insert a column for speed near the front (after silhouette)

So... problem with the Flasherfish.

It's actually listed RAW as a Watercraft, not a speeder (of any kind).

It's basically a jetski that can make little "hops" into the air.

I'm setting it aside for after all the easily categorized vehicles.

There are a number of vehicles that don't fall into the normal frames. Watercraft, Submersibles, Wheeled & Tracked vehicles.

All these should wait until the end, so we can focus on the common vehicle types, as these would need their own frames.

9 hours ago, salamar_dree said:

So... problem with the Flasherfish.

It's actually listed RAW as a Watercraft, not a speeder (of any kind).

It's basically a jetski that can make little "hops" into the air.

I'm setting it aside for after all the easily categorized vehicles.

There are a number of vehicles that don't fall into the normal frames. Watercraft, Submersibles, Wheeled & Tracked vehicles.

All these should wait until the end, so we can focus on the common vehicle types, as these would need their own frames.

Ok.

What is the "custom hp" column meant to represent? Final Hard Points from building them or HP from the actual Stat blocks.

Edited by Gordian Naught
6 hours ago, Gordian Naught said:

What is the "custom hp" column meant to represent? Final Hard Points from building them or HP from the actual Stat blocks.

The amount listed RAW for a vehicle after it's built.

For example, the entry for the YT-1300 Light Freighter on page EotE CRB p264 lists:

"Customization Hard Points: 6"