AT-ST height

By Saintdemoniac, in Rules

So my buddy and I were dry fitting/posing before glueing our AT-ST's earlier and something funny came up. We were talking about the different heights one could make them and I had a look at the LOS rules which state to check line of sight from the middle of the base and top of the mini, and that if you can see any part of the mini or it's base you have line of sight to it.

Easy enough. So if you wanted to stretch out your mini as much as possible (kinda like Sorastro did) you would have a wider range of shots, mainly from seeing over things, but obviously other figures would have an easier time seeing you. So here's the silly question. Can you alter the height of a mini during play? If you didn't glue the joints of the AT-ST, you can easily change it's height. I'm talking about the difference of around 10-12 inches. So can you stretch it up on its tippy toes during your activation (lots of poster putty on the base!) and squat it down super low after shooting. Preferably behind a building of some sort, of course (Try it. It's hilarious).

No this isn't a serious question. Just wondering if the rules cover it!

Well the LTP says you need to glue you minis during assembly. So that's as official as you'll get.

Pretty sure you'd get cited for unsportsmanlike conduct if you try that though.

I stretched mine up quite a bit, but it's all glued in.

10 hours ago, Saintdemoniac said:

So my buddy and I were dry fitting/posing before glueing our AT-ST's earlier and something funny came up. We were talking about the different heights one could make them and I had a look at the LOS rules which state to check line of sight from the middle of the base and top of the mini, and that if you can see any part of the mini or it's base you have line of sight to it.

Easy enough. So if you wanted to stretch out your mini as much as possible (kinda like Sorastro did) you would have a wider range of shots, mainly from seeing over things, but obviously other figures would have an easier time seeing you. So here's the silly question. Can you alter the height of a mini during play? If you didn't glue the joints of the AT-ST, you can easily change it's height. I'm talking about the difference of around 10-12 inches. So can you stretch it up on its tippy toes during your activation (lots of poster putty on the base!) and squat it down super low after shooting. Preferably behind a building of some sort, of course (Try it. It's hilarious).

No this isn't a serious question. Just wondering if the rules cover it!

I dont think the rules would even care to cover such an obvious abuse of the rules and for good reasons; Any player actually thinking this would be a resonable and fair thing to do is simply put an idiot.

I know the question wasnt serious but im pretty sure no tournament organizer would ever allow this kind of play.

I would say you would need a rule that gives permission to change the height of your model.

Well the height is already changeable , two ATST Identically equipped but differently posed, example -Sorastro's model compared with one with both feet planted on the base will have two differing LOS, but cost the same points in an army.

There’s a difference between changing the height during assembly to give a different look to your model, and changing height mid-game to game the rules to give you an advantage.

You also discuss the terrain heights and cover types before starting. Atst's would for sure not be able to look over dense forests or other tall trees. You can just agree to make the heights on those trees larger. Same thing for buildings and hills.