Attacking over Barricade

By Gridloc, in Rules

So this came up the other day for a game. If a unit is behind a barricade and enemy unit comes up to them but can't get base to base due to barricade (and can't go through enemy models), can they not fight melee? Such that, lets say you have two buildings and a barricade between the buildings, so when opponent comes up to them there is not any movement possible to get to other side of barricade, would going base to base with barricade allow them to fight? I know in other games that is how it works, but unable to find any rules in game for allowing this.

If they can't thats fine, it may not come up often as most units have both range and melee; but as game passes, we may see purely melee units. This will barricades go to terrain for shooty armies to stop melee armies from fighting them in melee.

Edited by Gridloc

To start a melee, you need to move into base contact. So no, if you touch a barricade, you cannot use a melee weapon to attack a unit touching the barricade on the other side.

Keep in mind that barricades are difficult terrain and can be crossed. They just slow you down.

1 minute ago, Gullwind said:

Keep in mind that barricades are difficult terrain and can be crossed. They just slow you down.

Only for troopers, and only to a minimum of Speed 1, just for the record.

While I agree with the rule, it seems....odd. I should be able to reach over a waist high barricade and stick an enemy with a bayonet. Hmm.

Well, you can still shoot them and as long as your unit leader is in contact with the barricade they don't get cover from it.

especially since this game doesnt have the issue of "half my unit didnt reach melee...." like 40k, i find it odd you cant attack over a barricade. However i can understand it since except for unarmed troopers so far melee is outright mean in this game, so its sort of a proper defense to deter it - they gotta go around it.

Well, most units have guns, a vadar with out saber throw, would literally be on the other side of a waist high barricade going, boy you guys are safe from my awesome force powers.

But glad to know that we played it correctly and didn't allow the unit to attack. It was an AT-ST who was on other side of barricade and couldn't finish a move due to it would sit on top of terrain piece. even though would have put it in melee with my stormtroopers.

5 hours ago, Gridloc said:

Well, most units have guns, a vadar with out saber throw, would literally be on the other side of a waist high barricade going, boy you guys are safe from my awesome force powers.

Force Push them over the barricade? ?