Rogue Dakotan's Legion Painting

By Rogue Dakotan, in Painting

For reference, here is my Imperial Assault painting thread . I've painted all the figures from that game.

I keep telling myself that I'll eventually take better pictures, but for now, here's Luke Skywalker, temporary commander of Spectre Company.

DZHdkEhU8AAbku5.jpg DZHdlQrV4AEW43r.jpg

And because everyone asks, here is my responses to the most frequently asked questions about this figure:

• No it's not based on Luke from the Storms of Crait comic. I just like Crait, wanted to give him a cape to stand out.
  • The colors are loosley inspired by Chopper from Rebels.
  • I got the acrylic rod for the lightsaber at recreatorstudios.com
  • To create the base I did the following:
    • Paint base red
    • Apply Citadel's Agrellan Earth
    • Let it dry
    • Drybrush/paint with a super light gray until there is no more brown left
    • drybrush on some white over that
    • touch up some details with more red (like the foot swipe).
Edited by Rogue Dakotan

Here is the progress on my first squad of troopers in Chopper Company.

Note one of the female troopers is now a twi-lek. And my Duros has a Chopper inspired goggle rig.

IMG_20180326_224921.jpg

I'm loving the cape. I assume paper mache cloth?

Edited by Wiredin
53 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

I'm loving the cape. I assume paper mache cloth?

Green-Stuff

27 minutes ago, Rogue Dakotan said:

Green-Stuff

Interesting, I haven't worked with the material yet (out of stock) and my mini's expertise has been Battletech back in the mid 90's and X-Wing.

I assume you did this over multiple layers?

32 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

Interesting, I haven't worked with the material yet (out of stock) and my mini's expertise has been Battletech back in the mid 90's and X-Wing.

I assume you did this over multiple layers?

I just made the cape, stuck it on, and then made the hood and stuck it on. took forever to get a hood shape I didn't hate.

Doing capes is fun and easy. just make a cape shape. Stick it on, then squish it or shape it to make the folds appear.

On 28/03/2018 at 1:08 AM, Rogue Dakotan said:

Note one of the female troopers is now a twi-lek.

Cool! - any chance of a closer shot?... without the rifle obscuring the view :)

Edited by ABXY

green stuff is a (usually) 2 part epoxy that can be shaped and used for filling in gaps or making items and then harden into a plastic-like form.

More progress pics:

Base colors down

IMG_20180328_215823.jpg

Washes down:

IMG_20180328_225148.jpg

Chopper Squad is done.

DZoo9hIVwAAzBPV.jpg

DZoo-vyUMAIETx9.jpg

I quickly tossed some color onto my barricades and movement templates.

DZq3DoAU0AACVQH.jpg

My plan is to paint my units inspired by different Rebels characters.

Kanan inspired AT-RT is done (minus a handlebar...)

I cut some corners on this one for time's sake but I'm pleased with the results.

IMG_20180401_215256.jpg

IMG_20180401_215320.jpg

Great theme for a company and I love your bases. So simple yet so good...

7 hours ago, Rogue Dakotan said:

I quickly tossed some color onto my barricades and movement templates.

DZq3DoAU0AACVQH.jpg

I read somewhere that people were having issues with inserting the movement tools after painting the miniature bases. It made me a little nervous to paint the movement tools since it could negatively impact gameplay. Have you noticed any issues fitting the movement tools into the base notches after applying paint to both of them?

1 hour ago, joeshmoe554 said:

I read somewhere that people were having issues with inserting the movement tools after painting the miniature bases. It made me a little nervous to paint the movement tools since it could negatively impact gameplay. Have you noticed any issues fitting the movement tools into the base notches after applying paint to both of them?

I haven't played since painting my movement tools. Didn't ocurr to me that that could be a problem. Guess I'll have to test it out. I guess I still have an unpainted set in my second core if it turns into an issue...

1 hour ago, joeshmoe554 said:

Yes, i can confirm this. I painted the movement tool and the bases from the ground vehicles. They are not fitting so well anymore. Or in other words, when placing the movement tool into the vehicles, the color is getting scrapped.

I will have to sand down a bit from the movement tools.

Just listening to the latest podcast, had to track this post down to check out the scheme. Love it man! looks awesome (although I'm a bit biased, as Orange + Greys has always been a go to colour scheme - graphic designer by trade).

Great job all around on your miniatures. Like the color schemes and the ideas behind them. Like the use of the green stuff to customize some of your miniatures even further. Also the barricades and movement tools look cool.

I was going to pick up some WotC minatures and add a Mon Calamari, an Ithorian, a Bith and at least one Dressellian but the Endor pack to be released with Han has two of them coming. I really want an entire squad of Alien species.

Anyhoo... Great work and I look forward to more posts.

32 minutes ago, 54NCH32 said:

Just listening to the latest podcast, had to track this post down to check out the scheme. Love it man! looks awesome (although I'm a bit biased, as Orange + Greys has always been a go to colour scheme - graphic designer by trade).

Yes going to go with an Orange squad (really want X-Wing pilots and Imperial Pilots!) and a Blue squad (Rogue One-ish). My table is a modular Death Star/Star Destroyer Interior. I am waiting on the Fleet Troopers to be released as I think it will fit having Fleet Troopers vs Stormtroopers on an interior table.

I also want a Bespin table (Interior spaces along with exterior walkways and platforms) and I am thinking about biting the bullet and using my Imperial Assault Bespin Guards I have 2 sets so an army of 10 to 12 is do-able. We will just say the Bespin air stunts their growth.

Hera Squad progress:

IMG_20180410_225606.jpg?width=395&height

DawxlCNVMAAMnWD.jpg

DawxnkqUwAE2PiC.jpg

Hera Squad is ready to join the fight!

Also a look at the themed bases for my unit leaders:

Daw-zyLUwAAmu_Y.jpg

A look at the still unfinished Sabine inspired AT-RT.

IMG_20180414_235106.jpg sabine_wren_season_4__1____png_by_captai

Bonkers!

Nex two squads are Ezra Squad and Zeb Squad. I really wanted the Ezra Squad unit leader to have a stormtrooper helmet. But I didn't want a stormtrooper who had a rebel helmet. So I put a stormtrooper head on the Rebel Unit leader, Luke's head on the stormtrooper, another trooper head on luke, and the original rebel unit leader's head on the other rebel. (I didn't want Luke to have the goatee). Plus it's my second luke so whatever.

Also for Zeb Squad, the guy dual wielding his rifles, I gave him a duros head with a beret and a space-cigar.

IMG_20180423_191605.jpg?width=701&height

DbmsxRXV0AAzEf3.jpg

can't wait to get this guy all painted up.

11 hours ago, Rogue Dakotan said:

DbmsxRXV0AAzEf3.jpg

can't wait to get this guy all painted up.

Im jealous