Custom Investigators

By Morgaln, in Fan Creations

PearlJamaholic said:

roland is the man!!! i havent finished the series yet but i think roland would be a broken character if you kept it true to character. first he's kinda bad luck for his friends, and second the guy just isnt shaken by anything. he's about the only character i think of that could face down an ancient one and not lose his mind. infact he might even scare some AO haha

(Ignore this, I should have RTFT)

MrsGamura said:

This is for the DT fans.

Was thinking about taking away a Unique and adding a Common and Clue.

Oh man. Awesome. I agree with that change, though, and I'd also suggest switching his Speed and Sneak so that Sneak is the better stat. I feel like in the books he's the slow, plodding, but unstoppable force... but really that's thematic and not a balance issue, just my opinion. Good choice for the image, too.

P.S. If Roland drew another Broken Hand and got devoured I'd be so sad! But it works perfectly - without one good hand he's of course useless.

My first one. Sherlock Holmes! cool.gif

sherlockholmesfrontside.png

drjohnwatsonfrontside.png

Overpowered? Ideas about tuning?
I was thinking giving Sherlock 5 dollars and just one common item. And tweaking down Watson ability but i can't realize how (maybe three movement points?).

Giving him TWO guaranteed abilities to gain clue tokens, one of them without any real drawbacks (especially if he can pick up the motorcycle), and with both usable simultaneously, without drawing encounters? Don't move, lose a sanity - get two clue tokens and don't take an encounter this turn. Then do it again, then go seal a gate for cheap. Little much there, sorry. Watson is good, leave him be, just rebuild the Deductive Reasoning ability so that it doesn't synergize so disgustingly well.

Otherwise, pretty nice. I'd play him (especially now, as good as he is!).

Hadanelith said:

Giving him TWO guaranteed abilities to gain clue tokens, one of them without any real drawbacks (especially if he can pick up the motorcycle), and with both usable simultaneously, without drawing encounters? Don't move, lose a sanity - get two clue tokens and don't take an encounter this turn. Then do it again, then go seal a gate for cheap. Little much there, sorry. Watson is good, leave him be, just rebuild the Deductive Reasoning ability so that it doesn't synergize so disgustingly well.

That's the thing i see as the major problem (i made this ability looking at Wilson Richards and just didn't care too much). Anyway, i think you're right. Maybe could be something that gives Sherlock clues only after he investigated "corpses" (i.e. killed monsters).

D.R.: Upkeep: Once per turn, while in Arkham, Sherlock may spend monster trophies to gain clue tokens equal to half that monsters toughness (rounded down).

Or Maybe i could give him an ability that uses clue tokens. Something like that.

D.R.: Any Phase: Sherlock may spend 1 (2?) Clue token after drawing a gate or location card to draw a new card in its place.

Hadanelith said:

Agreed. You can't make an investigator that can pick up eight clue tokens in 4 turns for 2 dollars essentially risk free (and that's ignoring the possibility of landing him on spaces with clues in addition to that). It's totally unbalanced. ::Laughter:: and you made his clue tokens for gate sealings lower by one. No. No no no no no.

What do you think about the King?

Sorry, here he is..

elvispresleyfronteschedn.png

heartbreakguitarfrontes.png

And background story for italian investigators...

elvispresleyretroscheda.png

Well, I have at least attempted most everything else, so why not an Investigator?

Mordecai Heller, based on the character from Lackadaisy.

Mordecai-Heller-front.jpg

Mordecai-Heller-back.jpg

Hmmm... I kindof like him. At first there were a few points about him that I wanted to nitpick about (such as his inability to move away from a location after exploring it— especially since he only has four fight). But then I decided that his lack of versatility in certain instances adds to the feeling of his character having character.

He can make an evade check before combat, right? Or can he just not make evade checks? :') that would work well with him being unretirable.

He can't make an Evade Check to get out of Combat. He can still make Evade Checks to avoid monsters as he moves around Arkham, otherwise his Sneak wouldn't be as useful. Hitmen don't just walk down the street letting everyone take notice of them.
Not being able to leave once he has returned from Other Worlds is part of his personality. The Gate will be closed or he will die trying; well go insane or unconscious, but you get my meaning.

I am trying to decide if he should receive a slight improvement because of his special abilities lowering some of his options.

dkw said:

He can't make an Evade Check to get out of Combat. He can still make Evade Checks to avoid monsters as he moves around Arkham, otherwise his Sneak wouldn't be as useful. Hitmen don't just walk down the street letting everyone take notice of them.
Not being able to leave once he has returned from Other Worlds is part of his personality. The Gate will be closed or he will die trying; well go insane or unconscious, but you get my meaning.

I am trying to decide if he should receive a slight improvement because of his special abilities lowering some of his options.

Maybe 2 more dollars?

Btw, can you give an example of what you mean by a Draw X and Choose Y effect?

How would you guys feel about customs that aren't made specifically for the 20's?

I've got a bunch, but most are from Fighting games and various RPG's.

Hello, nothing to say about the King?

Holmes and Watson revised. Seems pretty balanced now. Any other suggestion?

sherlockholmesfrontesch.jpg

drjohnwatson.jpg

"Draw X and Choose Y"
Draw 2 Encounter Cards and Resolve 1
Draw 2 Monsters and Fight 1
Draw 2 Skills and Choose 1
Draw 3 Items and Pick 1
ETC.

Instead of doing the above, he always takes the first one drawn, whether good or bad.

Luck is Perception more often than not. Sherlock Holmes shoul be a giant Luck fiend, not a Lore character at all.

-Frank

Quintana - much better. Now, if he stays in one place, he can, concievably, have part of Darrel Simmons ability, but he still loses sanity to do it. On the upside, he's always blessed by Nodens. I'd call his abilities together pretty decent now, instead of totally ridiculous. I'd play him, I think.

Lorenzo said:

Hello, nothing to say about the King?

I've "known" dkw longer :') hi though.

dkw said:

"Draw X and Choose Y"
Draw 2 Encounter Cards and Resolve 1
Draw 2 Monsters and Fight 1
Draw 2 Skills and Choose 1
Draw 3 Items and Pick 1
ETC.

Instead of doing the above, he always takes the first one drawn, whether good or bad.

Ah.... So he basically can't shop. Hrm...

Mordecai is based on the same character from the comic Lackadaisy.
The character has no sense of sarcasm, little understanding of nuance, is rather cold hearted person, but once he starts something, he keeps going until it is completed or someone gets him to stop. But, he believes, people whole heartedly believe what they say at all times simply because he doesn't understand, or can identify, sarcasm.

As for a slight adjustment, I was thinking along the lines of a Toughness 1 Monster Trophy.

For everyone in the Arkham Horror League:

422b5290ec0b.jpg

I know he is kinda blah as an investigator but I thought that the less bells and whitles made his Ally abilities stant out more.

jessebrownfrontside.jpg

Yenreb said:

jessebrownfrontside.jpg

Heh... That's a pretty cool character. It's a bit overpowered, but in the way Mandy and Daisy and Wendy are. And in an interesting way too... Corrupt Strength with Downward spiral might make the character get +4 or even more on skill checks... And the Fringe Membership ability is also very useful. You might want to reduce his starting equipment, Perhaps by a common item and a unique or even two common items and a unique.