My House Rules

By Bloody Sun Boy, in WFRP House Rules

For those interested, here is the current list of house rules that I employ for WFRP3. This is prone to adaptation and expansion in the future as I find myself inspired to further twist and tweak for maximum enjoyment. There are a few potential house rules that haven't made it on the list yet (such as the idea of "Permanent Impairments") as they are still various stages of being hashed out. Enjoy!

WFRP3 House Rules:

Fortune Points: Players may spend Fortune Points to add dice to die pools after the die pool has been rolled but before the results of the Action are announced

Fortune Points: In addition to the normal effects, players may spend a Fortune Point for the following:
* Add 1 Misfortune die to an opponent’s die pool for any Action or Skill Test targeting you

Unresolved Boons/Banes: When a dice pool results in a single unresolved Boon or Bane, the active player may choose to invoke the following options:
* 1 Boon: If the player chooses to narrate the results of the Boon, they may add 1 Fortune die to their next Action or the next Action performed by an ally
* 1 Bane: If the player chooses to narrate the results of the Bane, they may add 1 Fortune Point to the Party Sheet and must add 1 Misfortune die to their next Action

Chaos Stars: Similar to the Sigmar’s Comet result, a Chaos Star result may have one of several different effects as determined by the Game Master. For each Chaos Star rolled that does not trigger a specific effect from an Action Card or Miscast, choose one of the following:
* Count as 1 Challenge
* Count as 1 Bane
* Introduce a “fumble” or other complication or setback appropriate to the scene

Changing Careers: Upon completing a Career and acquiring the Dedication Bonus, the player may choose to pursue the same Career a second time. This costs 0 Advances. The player takes a new character sheet and may complete a new set of 10 advances as normal. The character cannot gain the Dedication Bonus more than once but once acquired, it will stay with the character even if he moves out of his chosen Career before completing it again.

Hedge Wizardry and Spell Actions: Characters of non-Wizard Careers may select the Channeling and Spellcraft advanced skills as Non-Career Advances if they wish. Characters that have acquired the Spellcraft skill may purchase Basic Spell actions for 1 Non-Career Advance each. Such characters represent hedge wizards, witches and others with an innate talent for magic but no formal, sanctioned training. Such characters are widely feared and persecuted throughout the Empire.

Ranged Weapons – Attacking into Engagements: Firing a ranged weapon at a target in an Engagement adds 1 Misfortune die to the attacker’s die pool for each ally that is Engaged. Also, an unresolved Chaos Star result inflicts 1 Wound upon a random ally in the Engagement regardless of whether the action succeeds or fails.

Movement Maneuvers: Characters may only move a single range increment per round using Maneuvers (i.e. Close to Medium, Medium to Long, etc.) unless mounted or using a vehicle. Characters may still use additional Maneuvers to Engage or Disengage from targets as normal, they just cannot spend them to move to another range increment. In the case of Long and Extreme ranges, Maneuvers may be spent to cover “partial” distance but must stop before reaching the new increment’s threshold.

“Fast” Creatures and Movement: A mount (such as a horse) or vehicle grants 1 additional free Maneuver per turn to the driver only which can only be spent for movement. Unlike dismounted characters, the driver may also move more than a single range increment per turn if they expend enough Maneuvers to do so. Likewise, certain creatures deemed “Fast” follow the same rules as above, receiving 1 free movement-only Maneuver and allowing the crossing of multiple increments.

Bloody Sun Boy said:

Changing Careers: Upon completing a Career and acquiring the Dedication Bonus, the player may choose to pursue the same Career a second time. This costs 0 Advances. The player takes a new character sheet and may complete a new set of 10 advances as normal. The character cannot gain the Dedication Bonus more than once but once acquired, it will stay with the character even if he moves out of his chosen Career before completing it again.

Out of all of these rules, I like this one best. I'll probably use it. Thanks!