Drokkatta

By ImperialOfficer, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

9 minutes ago, The Archangel said:

Am I off base here, guys? Am I the only one reading it that way?

Blast is a keyword that specifically affects adjacent figures only. A figure in the target space is within 2 spaces and is affected by the ability.

It's a pretty amazingly flexible ability. Adding the damage to the target figure to secure a kill, or maxing out blast damage.

Edited by Fightwookies
7 minutes ago, The Archangel said:

Drokkatta.png

Why are you adding +1 damage for Shrapnel? My understanding for the second half of Shrapnel is it acts the same way as Blast only instead of doing 2 damage to adjacent figures/objects, you can opt to do one damage to figures/objects two spaces away from the target space. That doesn't include the target itself though, so Drokkatta only has a +2 damage surge for single target attacks. Other cards that have similar effects, like Grenadier, say something along the lines of "the figures on and within X spaces of the target space". So my impression is if the +1 damage for Drokkatta's Shrapnel were meant to hit the target as well, it would read, "if it did not miss, each figure and object on and within 2 spaces of the target space suffers 1 damage."

I've seen Vassal play pretty consistently add the 1 to the targeted figure, as well as the surrounding squares-within-2, and pretty sure that's how @Fightwookies played it against me in Omaha. I played it that way at (Edit: Minnesota) Regionals without challenge or complaint.

Thematically, I guess it makes sense that shrapnel is blasting away from the original attack, but I think RAW hits the figure on the square as well.

Edited by GottaBadFeelingAboutThis

Yup. The second option of Shrapnel isn't Blast . It doesn't require that the target suffered damage, only that the attack did not miss (no dodge and accuracy was reached). The target of the attack is by definition a figure within X spaces of the target space, and thus also suffers +1dmg from the second option of Shrapnel.

Edited by a1bert

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm still not convinced the target space is hit by Shrapnel. I understand the second half of Shrapnel is not Blast. I think it uses different terminology in the game to execute the same idea as Blast, but extend the range past Blast's limitation of adjacent. It has to do with what the definition of "within X spaces" entails.

In the RRG, the "Within X spaces" section refers to the "Counting spaces" section which states:

image.png.38123fda55227f9f23500e19ddde5393.png

I couldn't find any other wording in the RRG or latest FAQ that alters or adds to this.

If I understand this correctly, "Within X spaces" is counted just like how you count accuracy and movement points. We don't include the space a figure is standing on when we count accuracy or movement points. We also don't count a figure's space when we're counting "within X spaces" for cards like Grenadier or abilities like Order or even Demolish, Drokkatta's other ability. If we were going to count accuracy or movement points for the target figure (and hence the target space) of Drokkatta's attack, we wouldn't include the space it's standing on. Based on these definitions and examples, the target space for Shrapnel should not be included when determining "within 2 spaces" and the +1 damage not applied.

I again think if Shrapnel was meant to hit the target space, it needs terminology similar to Grenadier and Demolish and requires, "each figure and object on and within 2 spaces of the target space."

I sent in the question to FFG, even if it's just for personal reassurance. I'll of course post what they say.

1 hour ago, The Archangel said:

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm still not convinced the target space is hit by Shrapnel. I understand the second half of Shrapnel is not Blast. I think it uses different terminology in the game to execute the same idea as Blast, but extend the range past Blast's limitation of adjacent. It has to do with what the definition of "within X spaces" entails.

In the RRG, the "Within X spaces" section refers to the "Counting spaces" section which states:

image.png.38123fda55227f9f23500e19ddde5393.png

I couldn't find any other wording in the RRG or latest FAQ that alters or adds to this.

If I understand this correctly, "Within X spaces" is counted just like how you count accuracy and movement points. We don't include the space a figure is standing on when we count accuracy or movement points. We also don't count a figure's space when we're counting "within X spaces" for cards like Grenadier or abilities like Order or even Demolish, Drokkatta's other ability. If we were going to count accuracy or movement points for the target figure (and hence the target space) of Drokkatta's attack, we wouldn't include the space it's standing on. Based on these definitions and examples, the target space for Shrapnel should not be included when determining "within 2 spaces" and the +1 damage not applied.

I again think if Shrapnel was meant to hit the target space, it needs terminology similar to Grenadier and Demolish and requires, "each figure and object on and within 2 spaces of the target space."

I sent in the question to FFG, even if it's just for personal reassurance. I'll of course post what they say.

As you quoted in the rules, counting spaces is determined by the number of movement points it would take to move from one space to another. From the target space to the target space is 0 movement. 0<2, so it’s within 2 spaces

If it wasn’t intended to include the target space, it would have needed to exclude the target space

For an example of similar wording, look at Onar’s Get Down ability. That’s used on friendly figures within 2 spaces, and Onar can use that ability on himself (0 spaces away) while he is defending.

Drokkatta’s demolish ability says “on or adjacent”. It has to specify the “on” because a figure is not adjacent to itself (RRG p4). I don’t know if there’s any reason they couldn’t have written that ability to be “within 1 space of that space” except that it’s kind of a mouthful.

Edited by Fightwookies
Clarity
31 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

As you quoted in the rules, counting spaces is determined by the number of movement points it would take to move from one space to another. From the target space to the target space is 0 movement. 0<2, so it’s within 2 spaces .

That didn't cross my mind since nobody counts, "0,1,2,3..." when checking accuracy or movement points. *sigh* Figured it would come down to me missing something silly like that.

Thanks for your patience and explanation, @Fightwookies . I really appreciate it!

6 hours ago, The Archangel said:

It has been ruled that the 1 damage shrapnel ability includes the target figure as that figure is also within 2 spaces of the target space.

There is a thread around here somewhere talking about it.

I'm clearly slow on the draw, @Fightwookies nailed. Now where's that delete post button?????

Edited by wannabepudge

There are a number of abilities that require a friendly figure within 2 or 3 spaces of you. A figure is friendly to itself and within 0 spaces of itself, so you can use the ability on yourself as well.

You are of base here. You are within 2 spaces of yourself. That's why Leia got an Errata.

eJawa, temporary alliance, Drokatta, eSabs, and BT-1. No care package, but it definitely has a heavy weapon synergy that would be fun.

1 hour ago, QuarrenKing said:

eJawa, temporary alliance, Drokatta, eSabs, and BT-1. No care package, but it definitely has a heavy weapon synergy that would be fun.

Greedo and Focused-IG-88 (16), Temp for Drok and Gideon (13), EJawa for BT-1 (9).

IG and BT self-focus, so you've got two points left to either add an activation with 3P0 and camp a terminal or use Devious and Black Market.

3 hunters, 2 heavy weapons. Drok and IG both take real work to chew through.

6 activations, a mere 54 hp without 3p0, but two high-hp black die+1 defenders, and BT can conceivably recover 6 in an activation if he gets off Missile Salvo ... almost makes you want to run him in a weird droid box with MHD.

Command Card list:
3- assassinate
3- maximum firepower
2- tools for the job
2- heightened reflexes
2- lock-on (or 1-collateral damage and 1-price on their heads?)
1- stealth tactics
1- brace for impact
1- negation
0- Urgency
0- fleet footed
0- take initiative
0- planning
0- positioning advantage

Season to taste.

I have a question about Drakk's Demolish ability.

It says "...place a rubble token on the chosen space."

In the example (below) we ran into, Drakk demolished a red square (blocked terrain), and then placed a blue token on it, and then could now enter the space, which used to be impassable and got to the surrounded objective.

Is that within the rules? I couldn't find anything about it.

20200229_004458.jpg

You can't count spaces to a space with blocking terrain, thus it is never within 3 spaces, you can't Demolish it.

Drokkatta could Demolish the space that has the terminal though (it is within 3 spaces, and Demolish doesn't require line of sight). It would be better, because then Drokkatta would not suffer damage.

Also, rubble does not change the terrain type of the space. It would still be blocking terrain.

Rubble said:

A space containing rubble is considered to be difficult terrain, in addition to its other terrain types .

Edited by a1bert