MyriadPro's Edge of Tamriel - Second Edition (Name Change!)

By MyriadPro, in Genesys

On 4/5/2018 at 6:38 AM, Doomgrin75 said:

I was intending on doing just that... printing off all the material and getting it spiral-bound for a handy supplement. Do you have an estimate on when your version will be available?

I am just finishing up the write ups, then the editing, rules consistency, spell check again... then compile into a single PDF... due to work I am looking at around 2-3 months for everything to be finished, but hopefully sooner

On 4/8/2018 at 11:30 AM, Veldruk Jai said:

I am just finishing up the write ups, then the editing, rules consistency, spell check again... then compile into a single PDF... due to work I am looking at around 2-3 months for everything to be finished, but hopefully sooner

Thanks for the info!

On 4/4/2018 at 1:02 AM, Kaalamity said:

By all means! Borrow away! Just make sure you give credit where credit is due. ;)

Thank Tron! Please let me know how your games go, and if you have any feedback. I'm always looking to improve and expand things.

We fought the Clockwork Guardian the other night and had a blast. While it was the stats from the 1st edition it worked well. Esp when my players first attack was a double Triumph and the second attack was a severed limb crit!

I can post some more feedback when back from holiday.

GM Tron

6 hours ago, GMTron said:

We fought the Clockwork Guardian the other night and had a blast. While it was the stats from the 1st edition it worked well. Esp when my players first attack was a double Triumph and the second attack was a severed limb crit!

I can post some more feedback when back from holiday.

GM Tron

Awesome Tron! My players are also fighting Dwemer, coincidentally, but are not doing nearly as well against them ;)

I'll be updating a less massive bestiary as I go, so if you have to make any custom monsters/change statlines, send them to me, and I can stick them in the booklet.

Edited by Kaalamity

Next update...?

9 hours ago, Stacie_GmrGrl said:

Next update...?

Working on it now! My day job has been growing intense over the past few weeks, but I've been doing a lot of playtesting, which has found some places for improvement.

The delay is centered now around the fact that this next release is a big one and will be close to the final one. Hang in there (though I appreciate the enthusiasm).

19 hours ago, Kaalamity said:

Working on it now! My day job has been growing intense over the past few weeks, but I've been doing a lot of playtesting, which has found some places for improvement.

The delay is centered now around the fact that this next release is a big one and will be close to the final one. Hang in there (though I appreciate the enthusiasm).

Thank you. :)

This is such fantastic work! I hope you find the time to finish this. I want it! Have you considered approaching Bethesda for their support? So far this looks VERY marketable.

Excellent!

?

I've been looking through the files on the Drive and remembered how god **** impressive this project is. Any updates?

I am going to keep my ear to this, because I do love it so. I am already planning to run some of this, and the system for Vampires and Lycanthropes, is just too good not to use elsewhere.

Hey guys!

First off: Yes! There are updates. But, they're not in a form I can really post yet, as most of them involve wrapping all of this up into a fancy looking PDF, and documenting all of my new talents for those that would prefer to use the Talent Pyramid.

Secondly: Progress has been slow. Took a new job with more intense hours, so I apologise for the seeming standstill. I still exist, and I am still working!

I hope to get all of this posted by the end of next month, but I can start sneaking out some teasers as I work.

Hey, slow progress is better than indefinite hiatus, since I have seen those, and been on the receiving end of those. I am very glad to just hear its not dead, and its being worked on. One RPG I was following for many years, they took a new teaching job, and then its been stone cold dead, as he said indefinite hiatus "this is not the last time you shall hear" and that was 3 and a half years ago.

Do we send a search party? Or a necromancer?

Either way, I've been enjoying this work since I found it back in July, so thanks for what you've shared, and I hope things are going well enough that we'll see more soon.

Edited by havyk

I'd prefer a necromancer, personally. Fortunately, however, I am alive. Due to a myriad of changes with my professional life, my free time has been limited, and this last leg of the project has been a lengthy one.

This is still on my radar, though progress has been slow. Just to prove I am working, here's a teaser of some of the progress I've been making with page layouts, etc:

hanl9EL.png

Edited by MyriadPro
On 2/8/2018 at 12:51 PM, MyriadPro said:

UPDATE 4/2/2018 - Big update with details below the fold! Check it out!

Some of you may recall my original Edge of Tamriel Conversion for Edge of the Empire ( located over here ). It was a long endeavor, and it gleaned some cool results and some fun campaigns on my end, but after playing through a few small campaigns, I quickly learned where areas could be improved, overhauled, etc. Thankful was I, when Genesys was announced. Even before it launched, I began rebuilding my Edge of Tamriel conversion, with my sights set on it being utilised instead as a Genesys Setting . And while I don't have nearly the free time I did during my first endeavor, I've been making progress (especially now that I have the Genesys book in-hand).

Lo and behold, I've hit a point where I have stuff to share! Without further ado:

Edge of Tamriel - Second Edition - A Genesys Setting Sourcebook

Major Changes

• Magic - The biggest change to EoT2E is the use of Genesys's Magic Actions, in place of the convoluted and sometimes overpowered "Magnitude" system I had developed for my first rendition of this conversion. I've taken the time to alter effect tables, add new actions, as well as a slew of 'utility' actions, that perform single effect spells (like Levitation or Unlock type spells). As part of this, the entire Magicka resource, has been entirely removed . (For this, my players were exceedingly thankful)
  • Enchanting and Alchemy - Since I did away with Spell Effect tables, which Enchanting and Alchemy were reliant upon, I had to restructure these. Now Enchantments operate like Attachments , though only one can be applied at a time. Alchemy borrows from my previous magic system, but has its own list of effects, and rules for combining them.
  • Equipment and Crafting - Previously, I had a step-based system to generate armor of different materials, and while this felt really Elder Scrollsy, it didn't make for smooth gameplay - and resulted in some heavy balance issues with "endgame" gear. Now, I am creating extensive item lists that are pre-generated. The old steps of material selection have been parted out and simplified into Smithing rules. Yay! What more, most of the armor and weapon types that simply increased damage or soak, have been expanded with more narrative effects (Forced Fear checks from Daedric armor, anyone?)
  • Character Sheets - Reworking these from scratch. More printer-friendly. Actually includes all the skills now. Creating a number of supplementary sheets to add to a Character Folio, to adapt your character as complex or simple as wanted. This will include things like spell sheets for 'prepared' Magic Actions, as well as Faction/Relationship sheets, so you can track if you're a Journeyman or Apprentice with the Mage's Guild ;) .
  • Bestiary - Completely reworking the Bestiary. Most of these statlines were poorly balanced, contained spells from the old system, references to Magicka, etc.

Minor Changes

• Races - Most of the Races were able to be saved as they were, but had some wording modified. Those that gained Magicka bonuses, saw those removed in return for some Boost-gifting abilities. Also, I've expanded Khajiit to include two additional breeds.
  • Classes - These need to be touched up, as a number of the talents had to do with Magicka again. Some classes are entirely still functional, and work well (we've tested Gladiator extensively to great fun).
  • Secondary Traits, Resources, Etc - Things like Fame/Infamy... Story-helping resources that were intended to be tracked like Duty or Obligation from the SWRPG series. They didn't feel great in play, and felt like a crutch. See the Character Sheet improvements above for some ways I'm working around those.
  • Lycanthrope and Vampirism - No great surprise, but we had a good amount of testing of this before, and it worked well. None of it was impacted by the magic changes, but I saw a few tweaks. This is good to go.
  • Diseases, Blessings, Etc - Diseases and Blessings were well received before, and require a little rework - Namely in how they are cured, and those that still reference the pesky Magicka resource.

So, if you're interested, the currently public files for this Genesys Setting are available HERE .

Here is my Current Progress List:

• Introductory Chapter - COMPLETE

• New Characteristics/Attributes

• New/Different Skills

• NEW! New Talents/Talent Descriptions & Alterations

• New Character Creation Options

• Magic - COMPLETE

• Magic Actions - COMPLETE

• Spell Abilities - COMPLETE

• Equipment

• Weapons Lists - COMPLETE

• Armor Lists - COMPLETE

• Crafting - IN PROGRESS (~20%)

• Enchanting

• Enchanting Rules/Steps - COMPLETE

• Weapons Enchant List - COMPLETE

• Armor Enchant List - COMPLETE

• Spell Charge Enchantments -COMPLETE

• GM Tools - COMPLETE

• Alchemy - COMPLETE

• Alchemy Rules/Steps - COMPLETE

• Effects List - COMPLETE

• GM Tools - COMPLETE

• Races - COMPLETE

• Classes - COMPLETE

• NEW! Class Talent Trees - COMPLETE

• Birthsigns - COMPLETE

• Character Sheets - COMPLETE

• Lycanthropy and Vampirism - COMPLETE

• Diseases/Blessings - COMPLETE

UPDATE - 4/2/2018

Been awhile since i was able to make a big update to this. Stupid real world jobs! Either way, I've finally managed to wrap up most of the rules at this point, and have begun my first major campaign with my players, to really playtest the setting and the custom rules for it. Pretty much everything is at 100% now, with the exception of a proper Talents Listing for those who use the baseline Genesys Talent Pyramid, but, to summarise:

In this update:

• Introduction! An overview chapter that includes explanations of what skills and attributes (read: characteristics) have changed, and what they are used for in this setting specifically. Also covers some more details on the new character creation steps and some of the more complex talents I've been working on.
  • Classes! Basic descriptions and career skills ("Major Skills" to fit the theme) for each of the more typical classes in the universe (some of these based off of those found in Genesys Core and the SWRPG)
    • Class Talent Trees! I created these when this was just a SWRPG mod, but I've updated them all with the latest talents, rules, etc to fit Genesys. My players prefer using these over the Talent Pyramid, so I've included them in this upload for all of you too.
  • Origins! Backgrounds that matter (mechanically) and help characters enter the world with a few more skills.
  • Birthsigns! Select the star sign of your character's birth, which grants a myriad of effects to your character's gameplay - from simple widespread Boosts to actions, or complete changes to your Strain mechanics (thanks Atronach)
  • Equipment! A huge collection of weapons and armor of various different racial and thematic styles has been added to the Equipment entry, along with a basic array of gear and trade goods!
  • Alchemy! Bit of an overhaul here based on some re-reading of potion-making in the Fantasy Setting in Genesys Core. After some playtesting, it runs much smoother and more logically. Less math, more RP.
  • Blessings and Diseases! Finished converting over all of the disease mechanics from the original mod, as well as all the temple blessings. So go on out there and catch some Rotbone!
  • Vampirism and Lycanthropy! No rules changes, but I've uploaded the supplemental Lycanthropy Sheet, to stat our your beast forms - as well as Talent Trees in the SWRPG style for both Weres and Vamps.
  • Bestiary! I've begun work on some basic adversaries, but in this release I've packed up a large number of Daedra specifically so Conjurers have some solid statlines to referencing when summoning baddies.
  • Character Sheets! No updates to the sheets themselves this runthrough, but my lovely wife was kind enough to set them up as being Form Fillable, and I've tossed the first pass up on the Drive depository. If we missed any fields, let us know!

Lots of stuff! Whoa! But I'm not done yet.

Upcoming releases will include:

Talent Listings - Plan to parse out the more unique/original talents from the Class Talent Trees I've listed above, and separate them out into Tier-based talents, so players who prefer the Genesys Core Talent Pyramid can make use of them.

Smithing - Rules to craft your own armor and such!

Bestiary - Plan on writing up and releasing a basic list of some common enemy types; Bandits, vampires, dwemer spiders and so many bears.

Properly Formatted Booklet - I've already begun work in inDesign to parse together a nice looking Booklet that could be printed and shared. A little taste you ask? But ofcourse:

unknown.png

The Interior Coverpage, and:

unknown.png

Some early page formatting!

As always, thank you all for the feedback and support! I wish you all the best adventures in Tamriel. The latest is all up on the same Drive link above.

And, again - If anyone is interested in contributing ideas, art, bestiary stat lines, or whatever else - Feel free to reach out!

Hi, do you have a status update? Have you finished the full conversion?

This is really cool!

Question: do characters gain access to all Magic actions available by skill they are trained in, or do they have to "learn" these somehow?

On 1/2/2019 at 12:17 AM, kkahl395 said:

Hi, do you have a status update? Have you finished the full conversion?

Would love to see the full conversion as well. It looks very awesome!

Ever had an opportunity that seemed really good on paper, and then in reality it consumed all of your time and motivation? Yeah, so this new job sucks.

I have ambitions to finish this, and I have an inDesign file that looks really pretty, but I've been hard pressed to find the time to get it done. I'm making progress, but...

Well, slow and steady wins the race. Hang in there, turtles.

Edited by MyriadPro
19 hours ago, yeti1069 said:

This is really cool!

Question: do characters gain access to all Magic actions available by skill they are trained in, or do they have to "learn" these somehow?

Quick answer: I followed the baseline Genesys rules for learning magic. All Magic Actions are available, so long as you have points in the Magical School for the base action. I think this plays well with Elder Scrolls' sort of free-form magic system that has been prevalent in the games. It's not 'spellcrafting' per se, but it does give Mages the leeway to 'craft' spells (on the fly, even).

For the folks who have already run Edge, how many Septims did let your players use for starting gold? I'm going to be starting a new game here soon and I'm kinda feeling like 500 might be a good starting amount but I figured I'd see what other STs had used.

Hi,

This is fantastic work, thanks so much for sharing.

What strikes me first is the choice you did by changing an attribute, changing cunning into endurance, this is supposed to have quite a lot of impacts but REALLY I think it is necessary for a Fantasy setting.

I was first annoyed by the fact Genesys is not aligned with this standard (3 characteristics for physical attributes, 2 for mental, and one for presence/charisma), this is IMO quite adapted to fantasy worlds where physical capabilities are important.

Cunning is nice but it fits better other futuristic settings like star wars where technology has an important role and replaces some physical abilities. Star wars is less about endurance and strength that good old fantasy worlds.

So just to say WELL DONE for this, bravo for the courage to modify such a cornerstone in Genesys. It was not impossible I guess, but it must have invovled a lot of work. It won't help to benefit from other shared content (eg Talents) without adaptation... but it may not be too big of a deal either now you established a solid base.

Hello I'm sorry to say I just found this, and wish I found it sooner. love the work you have done. hope to read it thoroughly.