MyriadPro's Edge of Tamriel - Second Edition (Name Change!)

By MyriadPro, in Genesys

UPDATE 4/2/2018 - Big update with details below the fold! Check it out!

Some of you may recall my original Edge of Tamriel Conversion for Edge of the Empire ( located over here ). It was a long endeavor, and it gleaned some cool results and some fun campaigns on my end, but after playing through a few small campaigns, I quickly learned where areas could be improved, overhauled, etc. Thankful was I, when Genesys was announced. Even before it launched, I began rebuilding my Edge of Tamriel conversion, with my sights set on it being utilised instead as a Genesys Setting . And while I don't have nearly the free time I did during my first endeavor, I've been making progress (especially now that I have the Genesys book in-hand).

Lo and behold, I've hit a point where I have stuff to share! Without further ado:

Edge of Tamriel - Second Edition - A Genesys Setting Sourcebook

Major Changes

• Magic - The biggest change to EoT2E is the use of Genesys's Magic Actions, in place of the convoluted and sometimes overpowered "Magnitude" system I had developed for my first rendition of this conversion. I've taken the time to alter effect tables, add new actions, as well as a slew of 'utility' actions, that perform single effect spells (like Levitation or Unlock type spells). As part of this, the entire Magicka resource, has been entirely removed . (For this, my players were exceedingly thankful)
  • Enchanting and Alchemy - Since I did away with Spell Effect tables, which Enchanting and Alchemy were reliant upon, I had to restructure these. Now Enchantments operate like Attachments , though only one can be applied at a time. Alchemy borrows from my previous magic system, but has its own list of effects, and rules for combining them.
  • Equipment and Crafting - Previously, I had a step-based system to generate armor of different materials, and while this felt really Elder Scrollsy, it didn't make for smooth gameplay - and resulted in some heavy balance issues with "endgame" gear. Now, I am creating extensive item lists that are pre-generated. The old steps of material selection have been parted out and simplified into Smithing rules. Yay! What more, most of the armor and weapon types that simply increased damage or soak, have been expanded with more narrative effects (Forced Fear checks from Daedric armor, anyone?)
  • Character Sheets - Reworking these from scratch. More printer-friendly. Actually includes all the skills now. Creating a number of supplementary sheets to add to a Character Folio, to adapt your character as complex or simple as wanted. This will include things like spell sheets for 'prepared' Magic Actions, as well as Faction/Relationship sheets, so you can track if you're a Journeyman or Apprentice with the Mage's Guild ;) .
  • Bestiary - Completely reworking the Bestiary. Most of these statlines were poorly balanced, contained spells from the old system, references to Magicka, etc.

Minor Changes

• Races - Most of the Races were able to be saved as they were, but had some wording modified. Those that gained Magicka bonuses, saw those removed in return for some Boost-gifting abilities. Also, I've expanded Khajiit to include two additional breeds.
  • Classes - These need to be touched up, as a number of the talents had to do with Magicka again. Some classes are entirely still functional, and work well (we've tested Gladiator extensively to great fun).
  • Secondary Traits, Resources, Etc - Things like Fame/Infamy... Story-helping resources that were intended to be tracked like Duty or Obligation from the SWRPG series. They didn't feel great in play, and felt like a crutch. See the Character Sheet improvements above for some ways I'm working around those.
  • Lycanthrope and Vampirism - No great surprise, but we had a good amount of testing of this before, and it worked well. None of it was impacted by the magic changes, but I saw a few tweaks. This is good to go.
  • Diseases, Blessings, Etc - Diseases and Blessings were well received before, and require a little rework - Namely in how they are cured, and those that still reference the pesky Magicka resource.

So, if you're interested, the currently public files for this Genesys Setting are available HERE .

Here is my Current Progress List:

• Introductory Chapter - COMPLETE

• New Characteristics/Attributes

• New/Different Skills

• NEW! New Talents/Talent Descriptions & Alterations

• New Character Creation Options

• Magic - COMPLETE

• Magic Actions - COMPLETE

• Spell Abilities - COMPLETE

• Equipment

• Weapons Lists - COMPLETE

• Armor Lists - COMPLETE

• Crafting - IN PROGRESS (~20%)

• Enchanting

• Enchanting Rules/Steps - COMPLETE

• Weapons Enchant List - COMPLETE

• Armor Enchant List - COMPLETE

• Spell Charge Enchantments -COMPLETE

• GM Tools - COMPLETE

• Alchemy - COMPLETE

• Alchemy Rules/Steps - COMPLETE

• Effects List - COMPLETE

• GM Tools - COMPLETE

• Races - COMPLETE

• Classes - COMPLETE

• NEW! Class Talent Trees - COMPLETE

• Birthsigns - COMPLETE

• Character Sheets - COMPLETE

• Lycanthropy and Vampirism - COMPLETE

• Diseases/Blessings - COMPLETE

UPDATE - 4/2/2018

Been awhile since i was able to make a big update to this. Stupid real world jobs! Either way, I've finally managed to wrap up most of the rules at this point, and have begun my first major campaign with my players, to really playtest the setting and the custom rules for it. Pretty much everything is at 100% now, with the exception of a proper Talents Listing for those who use the baseline Genesys Talent Pyramid, but, to summarise:

In this update:

• Introduction! An overview chapter that includes explanations of what skills and attributes (read: characteristics) have changed, and what they are used for in this setting specifically. Also covers some more details on the new character creation steps and some of the more complex talents I've been working on.
  • Classes! Basic descriptions and career skills ("Major Skills" to fit the theme) for each of the more typical classes in the universe (some of these based off of those found in Genesys Core and the SWRPG)
    • Class Talent Trees! I created these when this was just a SWRPG mod, but I've updated them all with the latest talents, rules, etc to fit Genesys. My players prefer using these over the Talent Pyramid, so I've included them in this upload for all of you too.
  • Origins! Backgrounds that matter (mechanically) and help characters enter the world with a few more skills.
  • Birthsigns! Select the star sign of your character's birth, which grants a myriad of effects to your character's gameplay - from simple widespread Boosts to actions, or complete changes to your Strain mechanics (thanks Atronach)
  • Equipment! A huge collection of weapons and armor of various different racial and thematic styles has been added to the Equipment entry, along with a basic array of gear and trade goods!
  • Alchemy! Bit of an overhaul here based on some re-reading of potion-making in the Fantasy Setting in Genesys Core. After some playtesting, it runs much smoother and more logically. Less math, more RP.
  • Blessings and Diseases! Finished converting over all of the disease mechanics from the original mod, as well as all the temple blessings. So go on out there and catch some Rotbone!
  • Vampirism and Lycanthropy! No rules changes, but I've uploaded the supplemental Lycanthropy Sheet, to stat our your beast forms - as well as Talent Trees in the SWRPG style for both Weres and Vamps.
  • Bestiary! I've begun work on some basic adversaries, but in this release I've packed up a large number of Daedra specifically so Conjurers have some solid statlines to referencing when summoning baddies.
  • Character Sheets! No updates to the sheets themselves this runthrough, but my lovely wife was kind enough to set them up as being Form Fillable, and I've tossed the first pass up on the Drive depository. If we missed any fields, let us know!

Lots of stuff! Whoa! But I'm not done yet.

Upcoming releases will include:

Talent Listings - Plan to parse out the more unique/original talents from the Class Talent Trees I've listed above, and separate them out into Tier-based talents, so players who prefer the Genesys Core Talent Pyramid can make use of them.

Smithing - Rules to craft your own armor and such!

Bestiary - Plan on writing up and releasing a basic list of some common enemy types; Bandits, vampires, dwemer spiders and so many bears.

Properly Formatted Booklet - I've already begun work in inDesign to parse together a nice looking Booklet that could be printed and shared. A little taste you ask? But ofcourse:

unknown.png

The Interior Coverpage, and:

unknown.png

Some early page formatting!

As always, thank you all for the feedback and support! I wish you all the best adventures in Tamriel. The latest is all up on the same Drive link above.

And, again - If anyone is interested in contributing ideas, art, bestiary stat lines, or whatever else - Feel free to reach out!

Edited by MyriadPro
Update as of 4/2/2018

Wow this is so good. Thanks for sharing.

added to MRL

Made a bunch of updates today! See the main post for the details, and forgive my shameless bump here.

Great work

Thanks for keeping us updated.

EPIC!

I played a game of the first edition, loved it then and know I am going to run this system in the future. Keep on going K!

Heya!
I was looking to run a oneshot of your mod this Tuesday and was wondering if there's any chance you might upload editable character sheets? It would be super useful if you could ^^

Love the content! I hope I get to extend this one game into a campaign ^^

On 3/23/2018 at 4:37 PM, Ehke said:

Heya!
I was looking to run a oneshot of your mod this Tuesday and was wondering if there's any chance you might upload editable character sheets? It would be super useful if you could ^^

Love the content! I hope I get to extend this one game into a campaign ^^

Sorry Ehke, just saw this. It's on my agenda to get these form fillable, but I only just saw this!

I will get them out this week. Along with a slew of other updates! (Yay)

9 hours ago, Kaalamity said:

Sorry Ehke, just saw this. It's on my agenda to get these form fillable, but I only just saw this!

Are you going to bake the updates into the existing PDFs and folders? I maintain a Pastebin of Genesys settings and what to know if I need to update links.

29 minutes ago, jan-michael-vincent said:

Are you going to bake the updates into the existing PDFs and folders? I maintain a Pastebin of Genesys settings and what to know if I need to update links.

Yup! No worries. Intention of linking a Drive directory over a specific location was so the link would be semi-permanent. I'll be changing the contents of the directory, but never the directory itself.

16 hours ago, Kaalamity said:

No worries! We made do with a much uglier word document version, but my players loved the game nonetheless! They might even be interested in having a campaign! :D

1 hour ago, Ehke said:

No worries! We made do with a much uglier word document version, but my players loved the game nonetheless! They might even be interested in having a campaign! :D

Glad to hear it! If you have any specific feedback from your first session, feel free to send me some details in a PM!

Meanwhile, I'll have some big bombad updates this weekend, so if you endeavour for a full campaign, you'll have some better resources.

I am so excited to see an update! I'm hoping to start a campaign in the next few weeks using these rules.

On 3/28/2018 at 8:58 AM, Kaalamity said:

Yup! No worries. Intention of linking a Drive directory over a specific location was so the link would be semi-permanent. I'll be changing the contents of the directory, but never the directory itself.

Noted, thanks for all the effort!

I like your revised list of skills and attributes. They fit Elder Scrolls quite well.

52 minutes ago, Stacie_GmrGrl said:

I like your revised list of skills and attributes. They fit Elder Scrolls quite well.

Glad you think they fit! I was originally a bit worried about them feeling confusing, but I think they do a good job of narrowing skills down and feeling more like the setting.

In other news - I finally posted my big April update I've had planned for awhile, including some previews of my properly formatted booklet. I could type it all again down here, but I just did it up there and man are my fingers tired. Go check it out!

I was going to make this update yesterday, but I was too busy coming up with a good prank that I forgot to do. **** you, Mad God!

Kaalamity, I am impressed and awed. I am also a blatant thief. I have been working on this setting for about 3 months now and you are able to always stay ahead of me. I have stolen some of your ideas, and discarded a few to rewrite. Once I get the PDF finalized I will be more than happy to share it with you so that it helps inspire you and others to continue to create amazing settings

50 minutes ago, Kaalamity said:

Glad you think they fit! I was originally a bit worried about them feeling confusing, but I think they do a good job of narrowing skills down and feeling more like the setting.

In other news - I finally posted my big April update I've had planned for awhile, including some previews of my properly formatted booklet. I could type it all again down here, but I just did it up there and man are my fingers tired. Go check it out!

I was going to make this update yesterday, but I was too busy coming up with a good prank that I forgot to do. **** you, Mad God!

Continue to love your work. Appreciate the hard work you have put in. I use it every month for our semi regular game.

GM-Tron

16 hours ago, Veldruk Jai said:

Kaalamity, I am impressed and awed. I am also a blatant thief. I have been working on this setting for about 3 months now and you are able to always stay ahead of me. I have stolen some of your ideas, and discarded a few to rewrite. Once I get the PDF finalized I will be more than happy to share it with you so that it helps inspire you and others to continue to create amazing settings

By all means! Borrow away! Just make sure you give credit where credit is due. ;)

16 hours ago, GMTron said:

Continue to love your work. Appreciate the hard work you have put in. I use it every month for our semi regular game.

GM-Tron

Thank Tron! Please let me know how your games go, and if you have any feedback. I'm always looking to improve and expand things.

Edited by Kaalamity

When the final doc is ready I'm printing it out. You're making one grail setting playable for me with this. I've always wanted a pnp Elder Scrolls rpg.

I'm going to try and run this.

Definitely going to be integrating this into my fantasy mash-up!

On 4/3/2018 at 11:02 AM, Kaalamity said:

By all means! Borrow away! Just make sure you give credit where credit is due. ;)

Once it is completed... most likely not until the Realms of Terrinoth is released (I want it formatted in the same style) then I will be printing off several copies and binding them. I will contact you then, and if the cost of mailing it does not kill me off I will be sending you one... if not then I will send you the files instead.

And you have credits on the front page, I made sure of that

Edited by Veldruk Jai
9 hours ago, Veldruk Jai said:

Once it is completed... most likely not until the Realms of Terrinoth is released (I want it formatted in the same style) then I will be printing off several copies and binding them. I will contact you then, and if the cost of mailing it does not kill me off I will be sending you one... if not then I will send you the files instead.

I was intending on doing just that... printing off all the material and getting it spiral-bound for a handy supplement. Do you have an estimate on when your version will be available?

Edit: I am interested in the OP's "product" and this one as well. I am hoping between the two, Terrinoth and my own homebrew I can narrow down the systems an options I use.

Edited by Doomgrin75
4 hours ago, Doomgrin75 said:

I was intending on doing just that... printing off all the material and getting it spiral-bound for a handy supplement. Do you have an estimate on when your version will be available?

Edit: I am interested in the OP's "product" and this one as well. I am hoping between the two, Terrinoth and my own homebrew I can narrow down the systems an options I use.

13 hours ago, Veldruk Jai said:

Awesome guys! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I have another Fantasy-esque world in my noggin that I planned on starting with after Elder Scrolls is wrapped up. I will, no doubt, do some borrowing of my own from your ideas! :)