Custom Great Old Ones

By ThorGrim2, in Fan Creations

Here's everything for my build for making a Xenomorph Queen (from the "Alien" series) the Great Old One...

pic2503375_md.png

pic2503377.png

pic2503378.png

pic2503379.png

pic2503380.png

pic2503381_md.png

pic2503382_md.png

I should note that the Facehuggers have been changed to Infest investigators upon DAMAGING them, not just knocking them out. It's not thematically accurate, but it's better for game mechanics, I've found. Also, the Infested deck should add that a Xenomorph monster token is spawned in the place of the devoured investigator.

It's also been suggested that I add in a caveat wherein the Facehuggers also infest monsters with the Moon symbol, spawning Xenomorphs from them as well.

As for the Xenomorph Deck mentioned on the back of that monster token, I don't have finalized images of that deck, but the cards are as follows:

Xenomorph Deck
I'm thinking about making it something like the Innsmouth Look deck, with ten cards and varying results:
1. Nothing happens.
2. Nothing happens.
3. Rescued by fellow investigator (in neighborhood) with a fight check
4. Rescued by fellow investigator (in neighborhood) with a fight check
5. Cocooned, save self with fight check
6. Cocooned, save self with fight check
7. Cocooned, save self with fight check [iNFESTED]
8. Cocooned, save self with fight check [iNFESTED]
9. Immediately devoured.
10. Immediately devoured.

Thanks for reading! I'd love to have some feedback, just to see what people think, if nothing else.

Seems good for the most part, here's a couple of suggestions:

1 - Mixing in Custom monsters into the monster cup is very difficult since it's very difficult to match that texture and weight and whatnot. There's nothing wrong from a design perspective if you can find a good way to match the monsters together in the same pool, but otherwise I'm not sure what's a good way to do that.

2 - I can't tell how impacting the Xenomorphs are without knowing how many you plan on throwing in the cup. Same goes with Facehuggers.

3 - Xenomorph deck should probably only have 1 devouring card in it. Having a 1 in 5 chance of just exploding is pretty rude.

4 - Might be better to do something slightly different than just closing off areas with main ability. Maybe find a new way to incorporate infestation or drawing alien monsters from the cup. Right now it's a little too close to Shudde M'ell

Otherwise I think what you have here is pretty solid.

Edited by Shining Aquas

Seems good for the most part, here's a couple of suggestions:

1 - Mixing in Custom monsters into the monster cup is very difficult since it's very difficult to match that texture and weight and whatnot. There's nothing wrong from a design perspective if you can find a good way to match the monsters together in the same pool, but otherwise I'm not sure what's a good way to do that.

2 - I can't tell how impacting the Xenomorphs are without knowing how many you plan on throwing in the cup. Same goes with Facehuggers.

3 - Xenomorph deck should probably only have 1 devouring card in it. Having a 1 in 5 chance of just exploding is pretty rude.

4 - Might be better to do something slightly different than just closing off areas with main ability. Maybe find a new way to incorporate infestation or drawing alien monsters from the cup. Right now it's a little too close to Shudde M'ell

Otherwise I think what you have here is pretty solid.

"Having a 1 in 5 chance of just exploding is pretty rude." Possibly the best-worded critique I've received. :D

A friend of one of the players in my Arkham group owns a print shop, and we've used him to make custom material for the Game of Thrones board game, so we're hoping to utilize him for creating custom Arkham material. Fingers crossed. We've also considered just buying a duplicate expansion and taping/gluing the new monster images over the existing tokens. Fantasy Flight doesn't happen to just sell sets of monster tokens, do they?

Perhaps the nest tokens/closed locations could be a constant spawning point for more Face Huggers and Xenomorphs? By making those monsters Endless, the supply of tokens would theoretically last the game. Any thoughts for other ways to expand/alter/better the main ability?

Hey folks,

Hoping to get some input on the first of my AOs. This is pretty much one of the only characters I didn't copy from somewhere, so hopefully it's not a rehash of something you've all seen.

Qgy0NkI.jpg YrsdLtS.jpg

So, the modifier would probably be something between -7 and -9, with the tendency to decrease over time to the point killing her (still wondering why the lady is squeezing her **** during battle?) with ease. Paying one clue to survive her attack is just too easy for the investigators. I'd clear this option from her sheet, so that it's a question of gate and monster trophies. Also you can consider making her "spend 1 gate of 5 toughness worth of monster trophies", otherwise stockpiling supereasy monsters will allow you to sistematically win every time.

One less movement point is cruel enough to make some investigators really a pain to play, so it's interesting

Ahh ok, good suggestions I'll probably do exactly that. Also, I have no idea why she's doing that! :lol: but other than that part it's a really cool picture, so I just ignore that.

LOL, sure, I'm not offended, it's just that sometimes fantasy artists have some bizarre views of epic battles, lol

I don't think you need to go quite so far as 5 toughness or 1 gate trophy per attack. I think if you just removed the "pay 1 clue" part from the attack it would probably be fine.

That being said, I think you should adjust the fight rating so that it doesn't drop below a certain threshold, like "X is equal to the number of tentacle counters on her sheet, to a minimum of -2" as an example.

If you want to make things a little more interesting, you could try making her remove the "elusive" ability from Serpent People.

When exporting tokens, it's better to do so with PNG format rather than JPG. For whatever reason, Strange Eons doesn't correctly export the alpha values correctly on tokens unless its a PNG, so the image looks inverted.

-------------------------------

That art is killing me. It looks nice, but it's killing me.

Edited by Shining Aquas

Lol I know, I'm going to have to find a different pic I think. I usually play solo, and it doesn't bother me really, but when I do play with other people it's usually with my girlfriend and her friend - so yeah not sure what they'd think :lol:

I'll have to try changing the image type when I export - I notice it changed the colors a bit too.

So the idea with the Tentacle tokens was that the worse you did in the game (leaving lots of gates open) the more you got penalized for it in the end. My thinking was that if her doom track fills, that's a minimum of -5. Most likely, there will be gates open on the board, so now you're talking a minimum of -6 and who knows what kind of a maximum (depends on the number of players and how many open gates there can be). So I figured that it's like an endurance test - it starts out brutal but the longer you can hang in there, the easier it gets (sort of the reverse of some AO attacks where it gets harder every turn).

I actually didn't think of setting a limit to how much they could lower her attack. I mean obviously it wouldn't go under 0, that's just silly. But the way I look at it now, if she starts off with let's say -9, that means 9 tokens - and 9 turns my investigators would have to have enough gate trophies and monster tokens to survive and clear them off. The likelihood they actually get her attack rating down to 0 in a scenario like that is pretty slim. Now if she started at -6, or maybe even -5 (if that's possible), then yeah they have a much better chance of surviving to get her attack down to 0 - but then they earned that low attack rating by only having one open gate on the board. Good gate management = easier final battle, if it comes to that.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm gonna tweak her a bit while I look for a more sensible pic :P

Lol I know, I'm going to have to find a different pic I think. I usually play solo, and it doesn't bother me really, but when I do play with other people it's usually with my girlfriend and her friend - so yeah not sure what they'd think :lol:

I'll have to try changing the image type when I export - I notice it changed the colors a bit too.

So the idea with the Tentacle tokens was that the worse you did in the game (leaving lots of gates open) the more you got penalized for it in the end. My thinking was that if her doom track fills, that's a minimum of -5. Most likely, there will be gates open on the board, so now you're talking a minimum of -6 and who knows what kind of a maximum (depends on the number of players and how many open gates there can be). So I figured that it's like an endurance test - it starts out brutal but the longer you can hang in there, the easier it gets (sort of the reverse of some AO attacks where it gets harder every turn).

I actually didn't think of setting a limit to how much they could lower her attack. I mean obviously it wouldn't go under 0, that's just silly. But the way I look at it now, if she starts off with let's say -9, that means 9 tokens - and 9 turns my investigators would have to have enough gate trophies and monster tokens to survive and clear them off. The likelihood they actually get her attack rating down to 0 in a scenario like that is pretty slim. Now if she started at -6, or maybe even -5 (if that's possible), then yeah they have a much better chance of surviving to get her attack down to 0 - but then they earned that low attack rating by only having one open gate on the board. Good gate management = easier final battle, if it comes to that.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm gonna tweak her a bit while I look for a more sensible pic :P

I mean, if she starts as high as -9, the investigators probably did a very poor job of managing the game. They should've done much better than that.

The last thing I would recommend here is to increase the Doom Track from 10 to 11. 10 track usually means a guaranteed fight with the Ancient One, but 11 at least gives the investigators the ability to maybe keep it asleep. The current power of the Ancient One during the final battle is a lot stronger than what a 10 track should be bringing to the fight, in my opinion.

Hehe, I've got something super fun for you guys. A 3-part Ancient One.

It's still in a "beta" state, so there's probably some typos or wrongly assigned wording in there, but the premise was so cool I'm willing to preview.

Here's the first part, and yes I realize it's a herald:

CfqU3dp.jpg

Xenagos makes monster surges a whole different kind of ridiculous. Now, here's what excessive partying turns him into:

DqBdRdE.jpg

Now that the Godsend sheet has been mentioned multiple times, here's how it works: If you win the game via 6 seals or beating the ancient one to death, you then have to deal with an extra event before its all over. You can however skip the final portion if you manage to win with a close victory, but I know those are relatively uncommon. Anyways, here's part 3:

eVR9McZ.jpg

Anyway, tell me what you think.

Hi everyone, new here and whatnot.

This is my first Ancient One design. Have you ever felt that you were the only one doing the chasing in Arkham, and that the Big Bad just ignored you?

Do you hate it that big groups have it easier than small ones? And do you believe the terror track is useless because it never rises anyway?

Well, you might just enjoy this:

Agguroth.png

This fiendish entity, though probably only average in difficulty, will try to make you pay for every small victory. So will his minions.

Explanation:

Bigger groups most likely have more monster trophies, making Cultists and Maniacs nastier. Bigger groups will get more spawns and really big groups will lose a bunch of investigators on the very first round of AO combat. The rising terror level will empower Maniacs.

This is meant for Arkham Horror with or without expansions. He gets slightly nastier if you have gate bursts in your deck.

Enjoy! Feedback more than welcome.

Edited by Vorlayn

"Treat Cultists and Maniacs as Stalker monsters during movement" - You'll save some text space by using this wording .

Do the official Arkham cards also use the "if two gates are equally far away" clauses? It's a whole lot of text that is ought to be redundant - it should be governed by the rules and not explained on a card.

Thanks for your feedback! I will incorporate it in the next version. As for the question, the manual, page nine, says:

"The first player draws monster markers from the cup at random and places them on each location with an open gate. When placing monsters, they should be divided as evenly as possible among the open gates, with no gate having more monsters placed on it than the gate where the monster surge occurred this turn. If there are more monsters to be placed than allowed by the monster limit (see “Monster Limits and the Outskirts,” page 18), the players should decide where monsters will be placed. The players must make this decision before monsters have been drawn from the cup. If the players cannot agree where the monsters are to be placed, the first player decides the placement"

But, that is for monster surges. This is not a monster surge. There is nothing about distance in my rulebooks as far as I can see (I do not yet have Dark Pharaoh or Miskatonic). The Nightgaunt has the "drawn through closest portal" thing written out on its card. And since Arkham Horror has enough loopholey vagueness in the rules(no offense Arkham Horror, I still love ya), I did not want to create more.

Any other feedback?

The Nightgaunt has the "drawn through closest portal" thing written out on its card.

And does it also has "when two portals are equally distant" thing?

I wouldn't nitpick that much if there weren't a whole lot of text there.

Also directly printed on the back of the nightgaunt, sadly.

I understand your sentiment, don't like the textwall either.

Edited by Vorlayn

"Treat Cultists and Maniacs as Stalker monsters during movement"

Do the official Arkham cards also use the "if two gates are equally far away" clauses? It's a whole lot of text that is ought to be redundant - it should be governed by the rules and not explained on a card.

1. "Cultists and Maniacs gain Stalker", period. There are possibly two effects in the whole game affecting Stalker monsters, so, I'd not bother spending space adding "during Movement"

2. The sentence about 2 gates equally far away is redundant. First Player breaks ties according to the rules, so the case is already covered.

Curious why 2 monsters when playing with 4 in stead of 5 (normal number of monsters spawned by a gate according to standard rules is 1 for 1-4 investigators, 2 for 5-8, so, it'd seem consistent that even in this case numbers are mantained)

1) Yep, already done for the new version.

2) True. Removed for next upload. Still weird they did it on the nightgaunt, but oh well.

3) "more than 4". So 5-8 spawn 2, consistency is maintained. I will change the wording to 5 or more, saves 2 symbols.

Agguroth_Front_Face.png

Also looking for player feedback on its abilities and difficulty. Should they be tuned?

Edited by Vorlayn

Since I've seen no more replies for 50ish days I'll assume it's just perfect and move on. Here are three new ones! Enjoy.

Hyax_yii_Front_Face.jpg

Malindra_Front_Face.jpg

The_Cursed_One_Front_Face.jpg

Edited by Vorlayn
On 8/26/2016 at 0:09 PM, Vorlayn said:

Since I've seen no more replies for 50ish days I'll assume it's just perfect and move on. Here are three new ones! Enjoy.

Hyax_yii_Front_Face.jpg

Malindra_Front_Face.jpg

The_Cursed_One_Front_Face.jpg

Multiple problems with these AOs.

1) Hyax-Yii: "All cultists morph into Ythians." It would REALLY help if you put the stats for a Ythian in parentheses after that. I'm not going to go looking into the huge monster bag to find out what a Ythian does, and I'm sure nobody else would do that either. As for "whenever a monster is encountered," does this refer to only a combat encounter, evading a monster, or both? Also, "whenever the terror track rises, add an additional 1." What's that mean? I'm assuming it means raise the terror level again, and if so, instead of saying "add an additional 1," simply say "raise it by 1" or "raise it again."

2) Malindra: The worshippers ability is just ridiculous, don't have a clue what that means. In fact, most of that card is ridiculous and everything on it should be revised. "Attacking another investigator"? How the hell do you do that?

3) The Cursed One: Again, "when a monster is encountered"...clarify this according to what I said about Hyax--Yii. Regarding his attack, "Every investigator rolls a die. On a 6, they gain a curse." I'm assuming that a double curse devours them? If so, then please add this after the last sentence: If already cursed, they are devoured.

Please add these revisions. You can't use these AOs otherwise.

4 hours ago, gpd924 said:

Multiple problems with these AOs.

1) Hyax-Yii: "All cultists morph into Ythians." It would REALLY help if you put the stats for a Ythian in parentheses after that. I'm not going to go looking into the huge monster bag to find out what a Ythian does, and I'm sure nobody else would do that either. As for "whenever a monster is encountered," does this refer to only a combat encounter, evading a monster, or both? Also, "whenever the terror track rises, add an additional 1." What's that mean? I'm assuming it means raise the terror level again, and if so, instead of saying "add an additional 1," simply say "raise it by 1" or "raise it again."

2) Malindra: The worshippers ability is just ridiculous, don't have a clue what that means. In fact, most of that card is ridiculous and everything on it should be revised. "Attacking another investigator"? How the hell do you do that?

3) The Cursed One: Again, "when a monster is encountered"...clarify this according to what I said about Hyax--Yii. Regarding his attack, "Every investigator rolls a die. On a 6, they gain a curse." I'm assuming that a double curse devours them? If so, then please add this after the last sentence: If already cursed, they are devoured.

Please add these revisions. You can't use these AOs otherwise.

1) Stats for Ythians can easily be found on the AH wiki, so, no need to dig them out of the bag. "Whenever a monster is encountered" is 100% correct because it covers all the instances you mentioned, and it's defined in the rulebook. Your suggestion to change the terror increase in "Raise it again" is imprecise because it doesn't mention the amount you have to raise the terror, "add an additional 1" is a lot clearer

2) Melindra's ability doesn't mention attacking another investigator. So, no clue what you're talking about here

3) Why being double cursed should mean devouring? It's not on the sheet, so, it's not a rule

So, there's no need to add any of these revisions. Please, give advice on wording only when you're fully aware of the rules, and of how things should be worded. Otherwise ask for explanations and leave the editing part to those who are competent

Hi everyone~! My friends and I just recently discovered Strange Eons even though we’ve played Arkham Horror for so many years. We have some custom Ancient Ones and we’d like some feedback on them.

aCPkdDd.jpg

Harodache is a massive creature that swims through the universe, eating stars and accidentally destroying anything that’s too small for it to notice. It’s not malicious in that sense, just… utterly uncaring. The Shatterer of Worlds is kind of a cross between Azathoth and Shudde M’ell. It destroys Other World locations to disrupt the investigators’ efforts, and it ends the game when it awakens.

Harodache comes with 8 Shattered markers, pictured below.

g7boQc1.png

byE0GpH.jpg

We only have the base game and Dunwich Horror, so we’ve never fought aquatic monsters before. That’s the main reason why Khrixatul was designed. Flavour-wise, she’s quite a straightforward aquatic monster. As for the game mechanics, she’s supposed to chip away at the investigators’ stamina with an endless swarm of Cultists. I don’t foresee there to be widespread flooding, maybe just a few spots here and there. Hopefully a couple of locations would be severely flooded and closed, so that there’s a greater chance of a monster surge occurring.

Khrixatul comes with Flood tokens, pictured below.

aTR5KoY.png pu826O8.png

The number represents the number of Flood tokens on that location. It’s double-sided, as we belatedly figured a double-sided token was neater than adding a second token to a location.

TTzjYWU.jpg

Meghrassal is heralded by a dismal unending downpour, and he’s supposed to represent sloth, despair, helplessness, and inaction. (Sounds suspiciously like the things that afflict us at work, but I digress.) Unlike other AOs, he has no fancy tricks and just imposes a straight up Will check penalty, along with the negation of all Weather effects that’s more for flavour than anything else. He’s troublesome when he wakes up, because he forces the investigators to split their stats between Fight and Will.

9JQNqx8.jpg

Since we had some trouble with the Hound of Tindalos, we decided to go ahead and introduce the Archlord of Tindalos as an AO. Mh’ithrha turns the Hounds into spawn monsters (we didn’t have the means to make our own monster tokens previously so we recycled what we had). One Hound stays in Arkham, while the second stalks investigators in the Other Worlds.

0H0eYIt.jpg

I found this image a long time ago, and found it equal parts angelic and monstrous. (I didn’t know it was used for Hastur in one of the Cthulhu Mythos wikis until a friend alerted me to it, but I’m sticking with this image for now.) We envisioned this as a false icon of hope; in-game, Narphycolep’s main weapon against the investigators is clue token removal. His Cultists are brainwashed ordinary folks who unwittingly carry out the AO’s will.

5st7cXK.jpg

Another monster we had major issues with was the Colour Out of Space, so we made another AO based on that. Once again, we went with the spawn monster mechanic, so that the Colours Out of Space would be able to wreck havoc on the investigators’ sanity. When Nuk’Surei awakens, the investigators should ideally be saddled with Madness cards.

X4TVRBH.jpg

Sviqhoaru is inspired by the Tyranids and their genestealers: her worshippers disguise themselves as humans and infiltrate Arkham. They spread fear and chaos, and when Sviqhoaru finally awakens, the full horde will descend upon the investigators.

Xnekxrq.jpg

Finally, we have Zoenraghek who is inspired by the Zerg; she literally covers Arkham in her own equivalent of Zerg creep. Specifically, she infests the ground her minions walk upon. Infested terrain is hazardous to the investigators, as it drains their stamina and slows them down. She also functions somewhat like Shudde M’ell, as the game is over when she successfully infests the whole of Arkham.

Zoenraghek comes with Infestation markers, pictured below.

veJXdyC.png

Please let us know if these AOs are alright, and if there's anything we can do to improve on them. Thank you in advance for the feedback :)

Edited by merky
wrong images attached