New Character Ideas

By XCcamel, in Imperial Assault Campaign

What about a mini campaign set in/around the prison of Oovo IV? New enemies could be mercenary prisoners of species that don't get much recognition, and Imperial guards sculpted like the guards in Princess Leia's detention block on the Death Star. The new heroes could be mercenaries when in skirmish, a la Jabba's Realm's heroes. I'd also like the ability at some point to flush enemies out of an airlock during a mission.

Edited by XCcamel

I've been following some of the complaints against RtH, had an idea: they could have blister packs with a generic imperial and mercenary unit that would require Return to Hoth and not be out of place in the Empire Strikes Back settings. These units would get agenda decks which lack a mission, and instead get a new threat mission to enhance replayability. They should have some way to apply the missions to other campaigns to get more use out of the snow tiles.

Anyone have ideas as to which units would fit into this concept?

I personally think they exhausted the figures relevant to Hoth in that expansion. I can’t really think of any additional groups. Maybe Rebel Pilots? Or imperial Walker drivers? Scum? no idea. HK’s were so left field at the time too...

There weren't any more interesting foot units on Hoth (in the movie, anyway). Most of that battle was mechanized, not much to draw from unless you want pilots running around on the ground. You could perhaps have a snowtrooper riding a Tauntaun, just like the Dewback rider. That wouldn't be too out of place.

Tauntaun Rider is pretty much it I think

I don't think IA campaigns can cope with mounted Rebels, or not ones that gain any speed in any case. That would completely break the already heavily Rebel slanted run-for-the-objective missions.

What about for the Empire, AT-AT pilots, 2 figure unit, close range, probably a special action to repair friendly droids/vehicles/objects. Another option would be a heavy snow trooper variant, but that would probably come off as a pointless derivative of trooper.

For the mercenaries, I propose the Talz. I realize they are not native to Hoth, but they do live in snowy environments, and were seen in Mos Eisley, so they wouldn't be a snow habitat group. For attacks, they could use a spear, melee with reach, and the ability to throw it as a ranged attack.

The idea behind these units is to offer a refreshment to Return to Hoth, and offer to the campaign what the blister packs for ToL offer its mini campaign. They would have agenda sets as normal, but the agenda would lack a mission, and instead would come with an alternative threat mission to help replayability. Some provision could be made so the mission could be included as the grey side mission, possibly by using the new epilogue card to alter the story depending on which campaign is being played?

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, angelman2 said:

I don't think IA campaigns can cope with mounted Rebels, or not ones that gain any speed in any case. That would completely break the already heavily Rebel slanted run-for-the-objective missions.

If you look at how the Dewback Rider movement works, it could be done something similar to that. Hardly Broken. (assuming a 2x1 base)

The Rebel heroes should not be able to ride though. That could break stuff for sure.

Edited by Majushi

Is Gideon the best character in the game?
In the hands of a proficient min/max player he completely is. No question.

Is Gideon the most boring character in the game?
... probably.

- Unlike the other heroes (fish face mob muscle, cocky smuggler, cybernetic Teras Kasi master) ... Gideon is "old dude commander"
- This really hurts since his abilities don't really have solid story-theme connection. They're primarily "make Command better" ... where as Diala gets Force Push and Vinto turns into a John Wu hero.

So here's an alternative ... it's probably a downgrade.

pic4370172.jpg

I worked together with my play group to make this comically functional character sheet. The mechanics and story theme play into "that guy at the tabletop gaming session makes everyone else shout out WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"

Mind you, there is a method to the madness here. Putting your teammates at risk can help keep the Command Guy alive, for example.

Let me know what you think, and what needs nerfing.

Also HUGE HUGE thanks to Bitterman for that card maker.

I've been contemplating some characters pulled from Solo.

Range troopers, group of 3, health 4, speed 3, has the ability magnaboots- this figure cannot be pushed. They would also be mobile due to these boots.

Crimson Dawn henchmen: health 3, group 3, action- when an attack is declared against him, may push an adjacent figure 1 space and and apply up to 2 blocks. Figure takes the same amount of damage.

I haven't field tested any of these, so they're probably horribly broken ... but I had fun.

Deployment_Card_-_Empire_-_Admiral_Ozzel

... and the entire Max Rebo Band ... just for all the insanty revolving around deploying musicians in a battlefield.

Deployment_Card_-_Mercenaries_-_Max_Rebo

Deployment_Card_-_Mercenaries_-_Max_Rebo Deployment_Card_-_Mercenaries_-_Droopy_M Deployment_Card_-_Mercenaries_-_Sny_Snoo Deployment_Card_-_Mercenaries_-_Oola_Dan

Edited by thinkbomb
On 12/11/2018 at 1:10 PM, XCcamel said:

Range troopers, group of 3, health 4, speed 3, has the ability magnaboots- this figure cannot be pushed. They would also be mobile due to these boots.

Crimson Dawn henchmen: health 3, group 3, action- when an attack is declared against him, may push an adjacent figure 1 space and and apply up to 2 blocks. Figure takes the same amount of damage.

Absolutely love the Range Troopers. :D

5 hours ago, thinkbomb said:

I haven't field tested any of these, so they're probably horribly broken ... but I had fun.

Deployment_Card_-_Empire_-_Admiral_Ozzel

... and the entire Max Rebo Band ... just for all the insanty revolving around deploying musicians in a battlefield.

Deployment_Card_-_Mercenaries_-_Max_Rebo

Deployment_Card_-_Mercenaries_-_Max_Rebo Deployment_Card_-_Mercenaries_-_Droopy_M Deployment_Card_-_Mercenaries_-_Sny_Snoo Deployment_Card_-_Mercenaries_-_Oola_Dan

These are amazing! It would be kind of fun to have some non-combatant figures in the game that can be interacted with in some way for some benefit. I like the idea that a distracting figure can also keep you from becoming focused.

4 hours ago, LegoMech said:

These are amazing! It would be kind of fun to have some non-combatant figures in the game that can be interacted with in some way for some benefit. I like the idea that a distracting figure can also keep you from becoming focused.

Yeah, our group had a ton of fun with the more pure-support characters like Jabba and 3PO. That's kinda what led to these cards. I'm pretty sure the Rebo band members are OP, but we'll find out eventually. lol

any rate, I did one other one on request.

Deployment_Card_-_Neutral_-_Tag_and_Bink

While initially a joke, I realized the Pythonian Tactics skill does have some fringe impact as it negates any other skill that triggers off defeat.

On December 22, 2018 at 11:17 AM, thinkbomb said:

Absolutely love the Range Troopers. :D

I figured that with all the heroes capable of pushing the Empire around, like Diala, Shyla, and Onar, it might be nice to have a unit capable of defeating that tactic while remaining thematic. The slow and mobile might also make for interesting implementation in battles.

6 minutes ago, XCcamel said:

I figured that with all the heroes capable of pushing the Empire around, like Diala, Shyla, and Onar, it might be nice to have a unit capable of defeating that tactic while remaining thematic. The slow and mobile might also make for interesting implementation in battles.

Yeah, keeping them economical (like 6 threat deploy, 3pack) and default accuracy boost to make up for lack of speed would make them a great situational deploy.

Hi!

Any good ideas for a Krayt Dragon? I would like to put it to the end of a mission, and I was wondering if anyone came up with a good deployment card for it. I'm thinking of a "Howl Of Fear" ability which weakens surrounding figures and pushes them.

4 hours ago, Sixfreed said:

Hi!

Any good ideas for a Krayt Dragon? I would like to put it to the end of a mission, and I was wondering if anyone came up with a good deployment card for it. I'm thinking of a "Howl Of Fear" ability which weakens surrounding figures and pushes them.

This is based strictly on cursory research, but some additional ideas for you ...

• obvs massive figure
  • only 1 black dice DEF, maybe +1block. they were cited as having a few weakspots for direct damage, so definitely not a 2 die defense
  • all articles cited their venom (both in tooth and nail), probably would be easiest to reflect that with an auto-bleed and or weaken on all attacks
  • you might want to play test giving a massive figure Pounce
  • surge - cleave 2 or 3
  • base-line HP 12-15 (you can always have special mission exception "this bigger one has +20 HP" or something like that)

hope that helps

6 hours ago, Sixfreed said:

Hi!

What about using the smaller Kell dragon ? I feel it would make more sense on a 2x2 or even 3x2 base but could still retain the desired abilities.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:10 PM, XCcamel said:

so, oddly I couldn't find any good pictures of the Crimson Dawn henchmen (sadly I haven't purchased SOLO yet on disc so I couldn't pull the pic myself). Apologies there. But, I did get the range troopers for ya.

Deployment_Card_-_Empire_-_Range_Trooper Deployment_Card_-_Empire_-_Range_Trooper

I added a threat to the deploy cost given the extra health, but that aside went exactly as you said. 😃

8 hours ago, thinkbomb said:

so, oddly I couldn't find any good pictures of the Crimson Dawn henchmen (sadly I haven't purchased SOLO yet on disc so I couldn't pull the pic myself). Apologies there. But, I did get the range troopers for ya.

Deployment_Card_-_Empire_-_Range_Trooper Deployment_Card_-_Empire_-_Range_Trooper

I added a threat to the deploy cost given the extra health, but that aside went exactly as you said. 😃

You did some great work, Thinkbomb, but it makes me realize I need to flesh my own ideas out more.

On further reflection of the Solo movie, it could be turned into a big box expansion, one of the shorter, more diverse campaigns, as pioneered by HotE.

New units would include, for the Empire:

Range trooper-group size 3, health 4, cost 7 (for regular), speed 3, mobile, has magnaboots trait which prevents them from being pushed, innately gives up an evade, can surge for accuracy, or for plus 1 damage and pierce 1.

Mudtroopers- group size 3, health 3, cost 5, speed 4, white defense, attack green yellow, innate +1 accuracy. They will be a cheaper and more disposable stormtrooper, showing the difference between the stormtrooper corp and the infantry.

AT-DT- Massive, 12 health, speed 4, black defense, red/x2 blue attack, cost 9, special attack- Danger Close: place a rubble token within 2 spaces of a friendly unit, all units on or adjacent to that space take 2 damage.

Mercenary:

Mimbanese guerillas- group size 2, health 5, speed 4, attack blue/green, defense black, special action- become hidden and move 3 spaces, has efficient travel, can surge to weaken, and pierce 1 +1 accuracy.

Crimson Dawn henchman- group size 2, health 3, speed 4, defense black, attack blue/red, innate +1 block. Ability- while defending, may push an adjacent figure 1 space and apply up to 2 blocks. The pushed figure takes damage equal to the blocks applied.

The story could involve a heist to collect supplies for the alliance and offer several narrative paths on how to complete that goal.

Edited by XCcamel

A new hero idea, either as part of a box, or sold seperately as a blister pack. The premise: a droid who specializes in defense, but has little health, in other words, Onar's opposite. Health would be between six and nine health, starting ability would be strain to add a black die to the defense, a passive ability bestows a block power token after defending. Later the hero can add a white die to all defense rolls, deploy energy shields, and grant blocks adjacent friendly figures.

Any ideas on other perks for this hero?

13 hours ago, XCcamel said:

A new hero idea, either as part of a box, or sold seperately as a blister pack. The premise: a droid who specializes in defense, but has little health, in other words, Onar's opposite. Health would be between six and nine health, starting ability would be strain to add a black die to the defense, a passive ability bestows a block power token after defending. Later the hero can add a white die to all defense rolls, deploy energy shields, and grant blocks adjacent friendly figures.

Any ideas on other perks for this hero?

First off - Play some campaign missions and just give Royal Guard Champion to the Empire at the start (adjust his price down to 12). That black/white combo die is absolutely brutal. Fun, but totally brutal, you'll need to cost it accordingly. (also don't forget to copy over MHD's mechanical aspect)

2nd - I like the general theming of his tankiness. There's a lot to play with (especially how you're having it blend to defensive support). However, I would suggest rethinking how the offensive side of things work. Basically just so the player doesn't feel as johnny-one-note while playing.

3rd - with such a low health pool, the imperial player is going to be able to whittle down this character pretty quick via incidental unblockable damage. (cleave, bleed, explosives, etc). Especially for late game, you'll need to figure a way to account for this. Otherwise this hero will be first to go in the finale.

=======

And off topic, I think it'd be worth exploring to try releasing blister-pack hero expansions. Logistics, I'd have to double-check, but I think the larger package (like bantha rider's) is big enough to hold the hero card. After that it's just the figurine, their map (obvs core tiles or tiles associated with one of the packs), their hero class cards, a couple command cards (I'd say fewer than others, maybe even just their own unique), deploy card, skirmish cards, mission card.

Edited by thinkbomb
On 1/30/2019 at 10:48 AM, XCcamel said:

On further reflection of the Solo movie, it could be turned into a big box expansion, one of the shorter, more diverse campaigns, as pioneered by HotE.

New units would include, for the Empire:

Range trooper-group size 3, health 4, cost 7 (for regular), speed 3, mobile, has magnaboots trait which prevents them from being pushed, innately gives up an evade, can surge for accuracy, or for plus 1 damage and pierce 1.

Mudtroopers- group size 3, health 3, cost 5, speed 4, white defense, attack green yellow, innate +1 accuracy. They will be a cheaper and more disposable stormtrooper, showing the difference between the stormtrooper corp and the infantry.

AT-DT- Massive, 12 health, speed 4, black defense, red/x2 blue attack, cost 9, special attack- Danger Close: place a rubble token within 2 spaces of a friendly unit, all units on or adjacent to that space take 2 damage.

Mercenary:

Mimbanese guerillas- group size 2, health 5, speed 4, attack blue/green, defense black, special action- become hidden and move 3 spaces, has efficient travel, can surge to weaken, and pierce 1 +1 accuracy.

Crimson Dawn henchman- group size 2, health 3, speed 4, defense black, attack blue/red, innate +1 block. Ability- while defending, may push an adjacent figure 1 space and apply up to 2 blocks. The pushed figure takes damage equal to the blocks applied.

The story could involve a heist to collect supplies for the alliance and offer several narrative paths on how to complete that goal.

This type of story line would work well for the further-branching mission structure like HotE. ^^ Just some counter-thoughts ...

Mudtroopers - stats look fine. You'll need to back in some personality via their abilities, though. 2 maybe suggestions: buff them when they are close to a leader (reflecting lack of proper training) // Spray and Pray: a surge that lets them essentially cleave to a target near the original target

AT-DT - My two cents would be to push it a little bit smaller (making it a larger 2x2 figure) and reflect it as such in the stats. These figures tend to run a little smaller in scale when they're bigger anyways, so it'll make it stand out more from the AT-ST, AT-DP, and Weiss. The abilites are cool, though. :D (I would say danger close needs to be an attack action, tho).

everything else looks fun.

Empire class abilities would be fun to have one based on the Mimban forces and one for the Crimson Dawn.

Not sure what to suggest for agenda decks ... one Agenda card ability, tho: Shuttled in Reinforcements, 2 influence one-off: at the start of a round place neutral mission token on the board on any exterior space (probably add other restrictions). During the optional deployment phase of the next round, this space becomes an active deployment point and is then removed. [basically mimicking when that shuttle dropped off the troopers on the train]

Edited by thinkbomb