New Character Ideas

By XCcamel, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Just some random ideas for new units I'd like to see and on how they could be implemented into the game:

Death Troopers, from Rogue One. The imperial equivalent of the Alliance Rangers, greys start at 9 points, 3 man group, possibly two green attack with an automatic hit and a surge to activate the "deadly" ability.

Shore Trooper, essentially a trooper version of an officer, but a bit braver, so instead of cower, an ability that lets friendly troopers reroll defense dice, and an order.

Partisan Fighters, from Rogue One, giving the mercenaries a new trooper/spy unit, reflecting that they operate outside of the Alliance.

Rebel Dish Turrent Operator- a heavy weapon/ guardian unit, basically a guy with a data pad on a 2x2 large base with the Hoth defense dish. Works much like the E-web, with tripod, assault and speed 2. Maybe more surge focused than damage natural damage focus.

Saw Gerera- in Rogue One he helps the rebels, but is too extreme to be a part of the alliance, so probably make him a rebel ally in campaign, and a mercenary in skirmish.

Unique groups for the factions, Must be earned like villains, cannot be reinforced nor redeployed, but have powerful abilities and have multiple figures within the group.

Further ideas include:

K2 enforcer droid, a two figure group of melee droids, with a special action to push an enemy one space and deal a damage.

Speeder bike- a 2x1 large figure, two attack dice, some sort of ability like the TIE striker from X-wing, which forces it to move several spaces at the beginning of its activation, a high speed and a white defense.

Alternatively, an AT-PT, a 2x2 large vehicle, lower health, speed 5, possibly a grenade launcher special action.

A mouse droid companion, gives friendly figures with in 3 efficient travel, thematically showing troops the fasted way to their destination, and giving a slight boost to accuracy. Unlocked possibly through an agenda card, i.e. Deplete card to deploy one mouse droid attached to a group.

Bothan Spies: two figure rebel group, can become hidden, some ability that prevents them from being attacked from beyond 4 spaces.

New heroes:

A guardian of the whills, force user, white defense, an ability which allows a blank roll into a miss. Maybe an interrupt and move when an enemy figure declares an attack near it.

Onar's opposite- a low health hero, 8-10 health, but rolls two black dice, abilities give him and teammates rerolls, drop energy shields like Loku's tokens

Imperial Defector- uses his internal knowledge of the Empire to gain an advantage, possably by disguising himself as one of them until within 4 spaces?

let me know what y'all think.

Edited by XCcamel

They can do a Rogue One mini campaign, adding new desert tiles for Jedha, marketplace, Whills temple, etc, and Scarif beaches, along with Imperial interior tiles. New characters would include 3 Shore troopers, 2 groups of partisan fighters, 2 heroes, one of them a guardian of the whills. The blister packs could include death troopers, Saw Garera, and a new Imperial officer who oversees the Tarkin Initiative on Scarif. The missions would be on Jedha, Scarif, maybe Wobani.

I love the idea, anything to get Rogue One content I’m all for. However it seems highly unlikely for a mini campaign, as they don’t seem to follow canon movie events closely.

But some characters from RO might happen. If they make Death Troopers - just take my money now. ?

Agreed, that's why I proposed them as a blister pack, like the ISB Infiltrators. Regardless of where you are in your collection, you can pick them up for whatever a 3 figure blister pack goes for these days, and also get an agenda set, and a side mission to bestow a neat death trooper-inspired rewards.

And the core and RtH campaigns did use the movies as a jump off point, but then leads on its own adventure. My idea is to do it in reverse, Rogue One's time period, open ended story to start and it pushes towards the battle at Scarif. Missions like being a distraction on Wobani while Cassian rescues Jyn from the prison, trying to steal some Kyber Crystals from the Empire, searching for Saw and finding him unwilling to help.

Edited by XCcamel
On 2/6/2018 at 10:58 AM, XCcamel said:

Onar's opposite- a low health hero, 8-10 health, but rolls two black dice, abilities give him and teammates rerolls, drop energy shields like Loku's tokens.

Maybe a general grievous type character without the lightsabers. Organics encased within a robotic shell^ but squishy once you breach it.

Edited by King_Balrog
16 hours ago, totalnoob said:

However it seems highly unlikely for a mini campaign, as they don’t seem to follow canon movie events closely.

They like to use the campaigns to visit locations before or after the events of the films. I could see something like a "Ghosts of Jedha" small box campaign that follows heroes visiting the ruins of Jedha City and the Jedi Temple, break into the labs on Eadu, and/or maybe infiltrating the excavation of Scariff Base.

4 hours ago, Smashotron said:

They like to use the campaigns to visit locations before or after the events of the films. I could see something like a "Ghosts of Jedha" small box campaign that follows heroes visiting the ruins of Jedha City and the Jedi Temple, break into the labs on Eadu, and/or maybe infiltrating the excavation of Scariff Base.

"Ghosts of Jedha", it has a nice ring to it, and there's a large window of possibilities they could play with and I'd like to see the temple ruin tiles in the desert.

They could have a 'fire support team', the rebel equivalent of heavy troopers with less health and more speed, and who are the space monkey species that Bistan is.

4 hours ago, Smashotron said:

I loooooove that idea. Yes please

On February 14, 2018 at 11:44 PM, totalnoob said:

But some characters from RO might happen. If they make Death Troopers - just take my money now. ?

I hear you and whole heartedly agree, although I never thought we'd see the day X wing got death troopers before IA...

On 16/02/2018 at 5:45 AM, XCcamel said:

"Ghosts of Jedha", it has a nice ring to it, and there's a large window of possibilities they could play with and I'd like to see the temple ruin tiles in the desert.

In the Marvel Star Wars comic they've got a remains of Jedah storyline running atm and although I haven't kept up with it, the ideas are interesting.

From memory the planet is fragmented/broken from the death star so they could do some Jedah / asteroid tiles? There's also a few interesting guardian of the whils type characters that could be good and like a Dr Robotnic type Imp Officer who might make a good baddie.

Also... Dr Aphra :wub:

Make her a cheap imperial Jyn type character that boosts / messes with droids. Maybe hive a new trait 'academic' - add extra threat / something command cardy because of research.

The fact that they added BT-1 and 0-0-0 into the game means they aren't afraid to use the comics as source material, so Aphra is within the realm of the possibilities. I do worry that they'll bring the B-1 battle droid and it could Jar-Jar it up. On the other hand, they could be like the nexu and make them into something to be feared and respected.

On 2/18/2018 at 8:09 AM, XCcamel said:

The fact that they added BT-1 and 0-0-0 into the game means they aren't afraid to use the comics as source material, so Aphra is within the realm of the possibilities. I do worry that they'll bring the B-1 battle droid and it could Jar-Jar it up. On the other hand, they could be like the nexu and make them into something to be feared and respected.

If we get B1s, I'd imagine they could be the game's first group to exceed 3 figures per deployment.

Make them really fragile (2 health) and maybe put up to five of them in a group for six threat.

Captain Antillies - Have him come in a blister pack with two alternate sculpt Rebel Trooper miniatures, give him the ability to add additional allied troopers to the board instead of performing any moves or other abilities.

Dr. Aphra - Single blister pack, counts as mercenary, can "hack" any enemy unit with the droid trait, giving you control of that unit for the turn.

Magna Tolvan - No idea what to do here, maybe can use upgrades with the droid trait without actually having that trait.

Imperial Naval Troopers - A Close-Combat unit with hold-out style abilities, elite can cause airstrikes?

Downed Rebel Pilots - 2 figure squad, low damage output but higher health (life support suit), ability to redirect attacks from adjacent allies to themselves.

Ewoks - Either Rebel or Mercenary, cannot be used as mercenary in campaign play, can cause "panic" to enemies (enemies move the furthest distance away from figure as possible), melee only.

1 hour ago, Indy_com said:

Dr. Aphra - Single blister pack, counts as mercenary, can "hack" any enemy unit with the droid trait, giving you control of that unit for the turn.

I'd like to see Aphra come with Krrsantan.

They'd be a really interesting dual pack- a slow tank and a squirrely objective runner- the Rebels would get a lot of options when they earned the pair.

B-1 battle droids, 5 threat, 3 figures, speed 4, health 2, attack green and yellow, defense white with expendable, and for two surges can redeploy a defeated figure from their group once per activation.

8 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

I'd like to see Aphra come with Krrsantan.

They'd be a really interesting dual pack- a slow tank and a squirrely objective runner- the Rebels would get a lot of options when they earned the pair.

I wouldn't want to see them as Rebels though. A scum wookie would be great and Aphra for the imperials!

10 hours ago, XCcamel said:

B-1 battle droids, 5 threat, 3 figures, speed 4, health 2, attack green and yellow, defense white with expendable, and for two surges can redeploy a defeated figure from their group once per activation.

As much as I don't want to see B-1s, I really like this. One thing though:

Once per figure activation or once per group activation? It's a question that's come up more than once in the past, so it's an important clarification.

4 minutes ago, Uninvited Guest said:

Once per figure activation or once per group activation? It's a question that's come up more than once in the past, so it's an important clarification.

Group activation, it could get out of hand if the sole surviving droid spawns a new one, who spawns a new one on his turn.

Although, that is sort of how the droids were used in the clone wars...

10 hours ago, AphraFanBoy said:

I wouldn't want to see them as Rebels though. A scum wookie would be great and Aphra for the imperials!

True. Or, maybe they could be the first truly cross-faction units.

2 hours ago, XCcamel said:

Group activation, it could get out of hand if the sole surviving droid spawns a new one, who spawns a new one on his turn.

Although, that is sort of how the droids were used in the clone wars...

Yeah, the ability to redeploy basically an entire group just using surges each round could get pretty overpowered.

Generally, when this is the case, it's labeled "once per round" instead of "once per activation" to avoid this confusion. But I really like the idea!

On February 19, 2018 at 2:39 PM, Indy_com said:

Imperial Naval Troopers - A Close-Combat unit with hold-out style abilities, elite can cause airstrikes?

I like the idea of Imperial troopers who aren't stormtroopers. I could see them showing up in a mini campaign set on a star destroyer. They could be paired up with imperial pilots, and if they make the story like Twin Shadows, it could be a lot of fun. I enjoy the open ended but entirely plausible stories.

Maybe a mini campaign focusing on the Black Sun Syndicate, possibly paying homage to Shadows of the Empire? They could add a large variety of of Black Sun criminals to firm up the mercenary faction, assassins: fast and agile, enforcers: big bullet sponges and inaccurate, led by Xizor: a combination of Jabba and Palp.

A dianoga would be interesting for a new creature, a large, 2x2 figure the sculpt could have just the eye and some tentacles, like most of it is submerged under the board. It could be challenging to deal with the habitat so it doesn't seem broken thematically.

Borrowing from the comics again, the cyborg rancor could be interesting to see, if only if it's an upgrade card for the same figure. Slow him down, up the inherent defense, maybe a bit more health and a new surge ability.

The imperial spy from New Hope, if no other imperial figures are within 3 spaces, it can't be attacked, maybe only a one dice attack but special actions along the lines of C-3P0.

Edited by XCcamel

Been thinking about Massive characters to add:

The Occupier tank from Rogue One on Jedha, it would be interesting to see a transport mechanic, a special action to pick up two adjacent friendly figures, move and deploy them to adjacent spaces. If an enemy interrupts and kills the tank, all three figures are defeated.

Land speeder, possibly sculpted similarly to Luke's speeder from New Hope, with an added turret for armament. Could be brought in as a rebel or mercenary figure, maybe a weaker transport power, i.e. only one adjacent figure.

Acklay, the giant mantis creature from Episode 2, it could make an interesting and intimidating friend for the rancor.

I still think a skiff with spots that could load and "carry" units would be amazing, particularly on a Scarif map with lots of water difficult terrain.

Subtrendy2, do you mean the actual mold has empty spaces for small figures? Because I think that would be awesome. It could bring the sarlaac pit in Jabba to life in a huge way, with weequay pirates taking potshots from their skiff...