Newb Family Questions

By Sturn, in Road to Legend

FFG veteran, but just picked up Descent for the first time after the wife showed a desire to play this!! I'm hoping for a continued campaign including myself, wife, and daughter. With just a glimpse at rules, I had initially figured I would be the Overlord with my wife and daughter each playing 2 characters in a continuing campaign. I then noticed this app and thought it could be more fun with each of his playing a character with the app running Overlord.

#1: Different rulebook to download. Are the rules so different then standard play?

#2: How "smart" is the app? Does the app sometimes or often make poor decisions? Does it become predictive and thus become easily exploitable?

#3: Campaigns with the Road to Legend app - Are we going to be limited to only playing campaigns designed for the app? I don't want to be limited to only single random encounters, but a linked campaign with a finale. Can you pick up standard campaigns and use the app to play them? If not, how much play time are we going to get out of using just the app to play campaign(s)? EDIT: I've figured this one out with some reading about RtL campaigns.

#4: Any problems with starting as a newb with Road to Legend as opposed to learning the game first with standard play?

Thanks!

PS: Is it normal to often get broken miniatures due to the hardened plastic? I picked up a brand new box and four figures had broken arms, horns, weapons, etc. I've already sent off a support request (which I'm sure will rectify things due to past great customer support with FFG), but is this going to be a common problem if I pick up expansions?

Edited by Sturn
Added question #4

Broken minatures are not common, though they do occur. What set did you pick up, which minis /how many were broken?

Four minis or more from the core set. Shadow Dragon had a horn and several spine pieces broken off. Elf-maiden with a sword and shield (Syrandel?) had her sword arm chopped off. One Ettin had his club arm broken off. A Barghest was lacking a tail. I was able to match up all the broken minis to the broken pieces in the box except for one small gray piece (character color) that I couldn't match to anything.

The box came still shrink wrapped and unopened. Some of the minis seemed crammed together in their packages suggesting they broke while being jostled during shipment, but the box was completely fine.

I've purchased FFG games for probably 15 years or more and have only encountered two other problems (warped board, missing piece) and both times the issue was corrected quickly. I'm hoping customer service is still good under Asmodee.

I hope so, too. I've heard of ettin arms being missing occasionally or a head coming off (there is glue holding some of the pieces together) but never to the extent you are describing. That package either went through dramatic temperature changes or was really mishandled.

As far as the other questions:

#1: Most hero rules are the same, but everything to do with turn order or the overlord has been majorly revised. Some skills or abilitites that affect the overlord cards have been changed.

#2: It is not smart (there are keywords which instruct the players to do certain actions with the monsters), but the difficulty is set to a reasonable level such that the app can still be challenging.

#4: No, though you might find a hard preference for one mode or the other. App play is not more complicated than non-app play, it is just very different (as far as the overlord or lack thereof).

Edited by Zaltyre

With regards to figures: I am new to Descent and RTL. Over the course of two weeks I picked up the Core Game, all Boxed Expansions (7), all Hero and Monster Collections (9) and I just recently purchased 19 of the 20 Lieutenant Miniatures (unable to find Serena). I did have to assemble 2 Ice Wyrms in the Shards H&M set, however I have not had a single broken figure. I've run into a few misshapen small figures which were sorted out right quick with a hair dryer, but that's about it. I'm hoping that your experience is only a fluke, and that you don't have any problems going forward.

Hey everyone! Just got done with my sixth attempt at Road to Legend and I have yet to win a quest (haven't even come close). I've tried 3 hero games and 4 hero games and it seems like the board gets so filled up with monsters, I can hardly move my figures. Any suggestions? I love playing this game with friends but RtL is becoming extremely frustrating for me. Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

11 hours ago, jgilson27 said:

Hey everyone! Just got done with my sixth attempt at Road to Legend and I have yet to win a quest (haven't even come close). I've tried 3 hero games and 4 hero games and it seems like the board gets so filled up with monsters, I can hardly move my figures. Any suggestions? I love playing this game with friends but RtL is becoming extremely frustrating for me. Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

It's strange that you're getting too many monsters. It depends on the map of course, but in general the app usually doesn't give the heroes more than 1 or 2 monster groups at a time to deal with. I find I sometimes have the opposite problem - there aren't any monsters to kill and my heroes get restless.

It shouldn't take more than one or two successful attacks for most heroes to bring down the average small monster. You will want to have a team that has a few damage focused characters to make sure that happens, with the best weapons you can buy. (Playing on Normal difficulty means you start with a bunch of gold to buy good stuff with)

I'd double check to make sure you're following all the rules correctly and also respecting monster group limits (although that is rarely an issue when playing with 4 heroes). Pay special attention to performing the monster activation steps correctly, and review all the terms used in the rules for their precise definition (e.g. keywords like Spot , Engage , Retreat ) .

It sounds suspicious that you get so many monsters you can hardly move your figures around. Can you give a detailed example of a play session? I can't imagine something like that ever happening without like 4+ full melee monster groups.. and that happens very very rarely.

Edited by Charmy
On 3/1/2018 at 4:00 AM, jgilson27 said:

Not sure if this is the case, but pay attention to group limits as well. Many times you only place one figure from 'the group' when a monster appears, especially for a two player game.