My crew's house rules

By limelight, in WFRP House Rules

Thought about doing a few house rules but then I thought...."you know what...just play the game and then add a few things to reflect our ideas". The game works just fine as is. I stopped worrying that the Trollslayer was very effective in combat...so what...he's supposed to be...he will more than likely go insane, or based on the social interactions with a lord from our last game...imprisoned.WFRP to me has always been more about the role-playing than the combat.

House Rules

Ranged Weapons
Bows have a reload of 1
Crossbows & Firearms a reload of 2
You must spend a maneuver for each reload or suffer a (1d) purple challenge die per maneuver skipped.

Skills
You may specialize in dodge, parry, and block as long as you can train in it. If you do, you may add an additional black misfortune die to the enemy roll
Recharges
You may reduce the recharge of an action/ exhausted talent the following ways.
• Remove as normal
• Suffer fatigue or stress (depending on type of action) per recharge
• Spend Fortune Points

Actions
The Assess the Situation action may be used in social encounters. The success line will include "add a black misfortune die to the next social action that targets you".

Dice
Purple challenge die may be converted by the GM into either banes or challenges

I like the reload rule. I may use that.

Has anyone tried making Dodge, Parry and Block skills?

i.e Each skill rank adds one challenge die to the attack?

Block, Dodge, and Parry already have associated skills; Resilience, Coordination, and Weaponskill. The cards themselves already scale with these skills, albeit in a limited fashion, but you could just extend that same scaling. Every rank of training is another misfortune dice or something. Or for higher scaling, your third and fourth rank of these skills add an additional challenge die to these opposing rolls. Helps with the other attack/defense scaling issues people say they have witnessed.

The reload rules are interesting though, maybe if one of my players bothers to pick up a ranged weapon I will try it.

Don't you guys use the Improved Parry/Improved Dodge cards?

jh

duplicate post.................................................................

Sure we have the 'improved' cards, but tbh I don't see enough effectivity happening at later ranks. Maybe there will be 'super improved' cards later, but maybe not...

The house rule I propose is to scrap the improved cards and modify the basic cards. In addition, make Dodge, Parry and Block advanced skills. You acquire the cards as normal, but then you have the option to train the associated skill (would need to determine which careers get what).

For example the modified Dodge Card would replace the Special line with:

Special: If you have Block trained, add an additional <c> for each rank of skill, to the action's dice pool.

So a toon with 3 ranks trained would be able to add <m><c><c><c> to his opponents dice pool.

I realise that WFRP3 combat is meant to be swift/deadly and this sort of mod would tend to make combats longer. It also introduces exclusively passive skills, which jars with the RAW. But if a group would like more effectivity to Dodge/Parry/Block, it would achieve this. It would allow Dodge/Parry/Block to scale with Rank.

You mean this one right?

super+duper+dodge_001.jpg

;)

jh

p.s. I'll have my house rulebook up shortly :)

Alternatively,

Dodge.TIF

Emirikol said:

Don't you guys use the Improved Parry/Improved Dodge cards?

haha, I hadn't actually read the imp. cards. Now I have and they seem good, but they do not scale at all. I haven't played anything above rank 1, so maybe it isn't an issue. Still messing up rules regularly at any rate ;)

Fresnel said:

Sure we have the 'improved' cards, but tbh I don't see enough effectivity happening at later ranks. Maybe there will be 'super improved' cards later, but maybe not...

The house rule I propose is to scrap the improved cards and modify the basic cards. In addition, make Dodge, Parry and Block advanced skills. You acquire the cards as normal, but then you have the option to train the associated skill (would need to determine which careers get what).

For example the modified Dodge Card would replace the Special line with:

Special: If you have Block trained, add an additional <c> for each rank of skill, to the action's dice pool.

So a toon with 3 ranks trained would be able to add <m><c><c><c> to his opponents dice pool.

I realise that WFRP3 combat is meant to be swift/deadly and this sort of mod would tend to make combats longer. It also introduces exclusively passive skills, which jars with the RAW. But if a group would like more effectivity to Dodge/Parry/Block, it would achieve this. It would allow Dodge/Parry/Block to scale with Rank.

That will get out of hand. You could potentially add 9 <c> to a dice pool. The idea isn't bad, but just not balanced.

Gallows said:

That will get out of hand. You could potentially add 9 <c> to a dice pool. The idea isn't bad, but just not balanced.

Agreed. I would rule that only one defence card can be applied to a single attack. (card modified).

However, acquiring three active defence skills at rank 3 would be very expensive. Dodge would only be available to careers with Agility as primary, Block-Toughness and Parry-Strength. So you would need to follow a career path like:

Thug - Pit Fighter - Coachman. Which would allow you to get all three to Rank 2. While a Thug you would need to spend 4 advance to get Block and spend another 4 to train it to rank 1. While Pit Fighter you would need to spend 4 advances to train Dodge. While Coachman you would need to spend 4 advances to train Parry. That's 16 advances on non-career skills.

However, this character would be significantly more difficult to hit and hit hard - but then he's invested 22 advances into these skills.