App Update

By The Cocky Rooster, in Legends of the Alliance

any idea when the android update will drop? play store still says latest version is 1.0.1

8 minutes ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

The funny thing is from my Internet browser on my CPU it says the latest update is Jan 24, 2018 but yet the update is not available on Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fantasyflightgames.iaca

WOW 213 out 806 gave it a 1-star review?!

5 minutes ago, The Cocky Rooster said:

Well take that with a grain of salt. I suspect that many of the 1-star review were users who thought it was a stand alone app and found out you need the physical board game to play. I also saw some bad reviews complaining about the lack of language option.

Edited by IanSolo_FFG
4 minutes ago, The Cocky Rooster said:

Looks like a lot of people who gave it a 1-star misunderstood it to be a stand alone game.

lol

nicholas johnson

First thing i see after i download, "this game requires the boardgame"........ Yeah, no, go away EA your drunk

Mart Hall

I deleted it at the tutorial it wouldn't let me do anything and the amount of instructions is ridiculous gutted I'm a big star wars fan

Fantasy Flight Games 2 January 2018

This is a companion app for the Star Wars: Imperial Assault board game by Fantasy Flight Games.

Edited by The Cocky Rooster
add to post

The latest update is apparently on google play now, according to some posts on BGG (see second page)

3 minutes ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

The latest update is apparently on google play now, according to some posts on BGG (see second page)

Apparently not for all devices. Google Play on my phone still shows the app version to be 1.0.1, Updated on Dec 15, 2017.

Wouldn't you think that this deserves a FFG news article?

1 hour ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

Wouldn't you think that this deserves a FFG news article?

Perhaps when it's release across all platforms.

37 minutes ago, dwaynedauzat said:

Perhaps when it's release across all platforms.

Yeah good point. It seems like it would be worth it to let folks know a little about how the update works as to avoid the internet gossipers (Read: trolls) to interpret how it's works ;)

The update is now available on Google Play for my Android phone and tablet. :lol:

I'm in the middle of a Jabba's Realm mission moment so I just simulated a campaign (just running through the activations knocking off imperials here and there) and things were going ok until the third mission where you recover the star map. The initial deployment had Wing Guard who I was willing to count as local security. Then some Sand People rushed to the aid of the empire when the door was blown. This was disappointing, but at least it was on a desert map I thought. Then when the door to the shuttle bay was opened I was opposed by a Wampa a Shapeshifter, a group of storm troopers and an Ugnaught.

I could wear the Shapeshifter and Ugnaught every so often, but a Wampa and Snow Troopers should really only show up on a snow map, and the Raiders in the desert. Ideally beasts should not show up in imperial ships (ideally facilities as well). The Emperor or Jabba showing up at the Rebel base would also be highly unthematic. Deselecting parts of your collections does not really work as it also removes heroes, imperial and scum units you want to keep and equipment. Taking away Return to Hoth would make Verna unavailable for example or removing Twin Shadows to exclude the sand people and you lose the EE-3 Carbine and Heavy Storm Troopers.

I understand the Descent app restricts some of the monsters to certain map types. The app seems to have the ability to add scripted deployments (say Darth Vader or unit of rStorm Troopers) so if Legends of the alliance did the same thing. I wonder if map restrictions could be added to the app. If there were say Forrest (all unrestricted figures), Desert (all unrestricted figures), Snow (all unrestricted figures), Rebel Base (all unrestricted figures), Rebel Ship (no beasts), Imperial Ship(no random Scum Villains, random Scum or beasts), Imperial base (no random Scum Villains, random Scum or beasts) and Scum base (no random Imperial Villains random imperials any Beast), city (No Beasts) Slum (all unrestricted figures). With the game as it is now there is lots of variety in both the imperial and the scum so the restrictions would not make things monotonous.

It doesn't feel like it would be an exceptionally complicated thing to implement by either adding and checking tags or just creating explicit lists for specific locations and encounters and filtering them through the product list.

From what I remember of the second canteena mission before this update, the trash compactor room generated scum encounters and the return to the shuttle was block by a big imperial spawn so it seemed to me that there was already some filtering taking place.

There maybe a bit of legwork involved and maybe we just need to wait for another update to do that. Or perhaps, since the starter campaign feels like a bit of a tester they are not that concerned at the moment and we will be seeing things done properly when they bring out a bigger campaign.

Hmm... the posts about bizarre deployments are kind of putting me off starting a new campaign with the update. For now, I have restricted myself to villain packs from the core set, ISB infiltrators, Blaise, Boba, Dengar, Hired Guns and Somos. I will miss out on heroes and items, but the weirdest thing showing up in a strange place will probably just be a nexu. I really play for the story feel, so if these issues don’t get dealt with, I fear the app may not be for me after all.

android version popped for me yesterday (app auto updated)

Played again last night was having a lot of fun it was pretty thematic, mission one was just all Imperial troops some iSB, sentry droids, mission two we ran into some Ugnaughts in the back 'scrap like' room so that felt thematic and then Riot Troopers and Officers from the hanger. Ok this is good, then all of a sudden a snowy Wampa was deployed in the middle of the Ugnaughts and completely destroyed the illusion.. :(

Very unfortunate. I hope they figure out a way to fix this, I really enjoyed having a wider variety of enemies to fight but if the cost is having the thematic side of the game ruined I'd rather just go back to core only.

The bantha rider was deployed in mission 4 and it said to ignore trample ability and habitat keyword. So it appears we might see wampas in the desert after all. I have no clue how easy it is to program restrictions but I would hope it might be part of a future app update. Or it would be great if we were given the option to edit deployments as we see fit.

18 minutes ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

The bantha rider was deployed in mission 4 and it said to ignore trample ability and habitat keyword. So it appears we might see wampas in the desert after all. I have no clue how easy it is to program restrictions but I would hope it might be part of a future app update. Or it would be great if we were given the option to edit deployments as we see fit.

As I said in my post above I got a Wampa on a desert map. At the very least the Emperor, Jabba, Sand People and Wampas should me made to be scripted deployments only. We know that this can be done as Darth Vader already works this way.

21 minutes ago, coogee78 said:

As I said in my post above I got a Wampa on a desert map. At the very least the Emperor, Jabba, Sand People and Wampas should me made to be scripted deployments only. We know that this can be done as Darth Vader already works this way.

Agreed. I suspect scripted deployments may work for villains linked to the campaign. Other villains will show up randomly. For example when we will get an app campaign about the HotE expansion box, the Emperor and Maul might actualy be scripted deployments only why Vader may randomly show up.

Do we know if they support the additional allies yet?

Maybe someone should tweet at the official twitter asking about options for disabling certain units?

5 hours ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

Agreed. I suspect scripted deployments may work for villains linked to the campaign. Other villains will show up randomly. For example when we will get an app campaign about the HotE expansion box, the Emperor and Maul might actualy be scripted deployments only why Vader may randomly show up.

The Emperor does make a campaign based on HotE a good choice if they did decide to do this.

I've been trying to edit my collection to make this work and this is challenging. One issue is that the app will spawn characters even if they weren't figures (tokens only) in the box set. For example, including Jabba's Realm in the collection opens up Jabba as a potential open group (yes, this happened in one of my practice run-throughs). So all in all this REALLY limits who and what to include in my collection. Here are the unwanted things that don't fit in the Flight of the Freedom Fighter because of habitat or timeline. Note: Not all of these comments have official habitat or timeline callouts on their deployment cards. Also, Box-set are the bigger problem because if you turn them off then you loose everything else in the box- it's easy to deselect the ally and villain packs.

Box sets

1) Twin shadows- sand people (habitat)

2) Return to Hoth- Wampa(habitat), Snow troopers (habitat), Echo base troopers (Habitat; OK, Echo-base troopers I can accept)

3) The Bespin Gambit - well Wing Guards are pushing it (habitat?), also Ugnaughts are a little odd in many settings

4) Jabba's Realm- Jabba (just weird) and the Rancor (habitat) are the biggest problems - Gamoreans might be a little odd but again I guess OK

6) Heart of the Empire - Maul (Timeline) would be the worst of this- timeline; arguably Ahsoka (timeline) is a little odd but I'm in the Ahsoka lives camp for now so OK

Blisters:

7) Obi-wan (timeline)

8) Greedo (timeline)

9) Maul (timeline)

10) Bantha rider (habitat)

11) Jawas (habitat)

12) Jabba (just weird)

13) The Grand inquisitor (timeline)

So basically, If I want to avoid continuity issues, I've got to turn off all of the box sets and a good number of blisters. Please make this better!

I haven't really finalized what I'm going to do. I'm thinking about leaving tBG and TS because the problems are smaller (the biggest one being the sand people), the Jabba thing is pretty dumb so I'll probably turn off JR and definitely turn off RtH. The Maul complaint is not a big deal cause he's sort of like Kenny in Southpark, so I think I'll leave HotE in my collection. I will turn off all the blisters listed above.

25 minutes ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

So basically, If I want to avoid continuity issues, I've got to turn off all of the box sets and a good number of blisters. Please make this better!

I haven't really finalized what I'm going to do. I'm thinking about leaving tBG and TS because the problems are smaller (the biggest one being the sand people), the Jabba thing is pretty dumb so I'll probably turn off JR and definitely turn off RtH. The Maul complaint is not a big deal cause he's sort of like Kenny in Southpark, so I think I'll leave HotE in my collection. I will turn off all the blisters listed above.

Or you could simulate missions many times (probably one that you have already done if you don't want to spoil yourself) to see as many deployment units as possible, print screen the instruction box (mainly for the various bonuses and at the same time to see what are the instruction patterns. From my little experience, most units seem to have 3 different bonuses. Some only 2 (like IG-88) while certain elites have 4) then manually reactivate the same unit until you have seen all of its bonuses (print screen each time you see an instruction list with a new bonus).

Now, when a Wampa is deployed by the app on desert tile, keep it but just replace it by another unit of your choice on your physical board. Now, when the app activates the Wampa, go to your folder where you saved all the print screens, pick the ones from the unit you deployed instead of the Wampa, and randomly select a print screen that corresponds to that replacement unit (roll a die?). Obviously you will have to ignore everything that is between "" on your print screen. I suppose you could use the target of the Wampa for your replacement unit if it makes sense.

Am I a bit freak? Yeah it happens sometimes when a certain app deploy Snowtroopers on a jungle map or a Wampa on a desert map ;)

Oh and doing all this could maybe allow you to solo play the missions from the physical boxes (I mean we can do it with RAIV/RAEV but we might now give units bonuses that take advantage of their characteristics, not just a Droid boost event card when no droids are on the map)? After completing the app campaign twice I'm definitely going to try the original core campaign solo.

Edited by IanSolo_FFG