[Future] Mask's of Nyarlathotep will be the last expansion ?

By ReyD, in General Discussion

Hello,

Any confirmations on the possibility that Nyarlathotep will be the last expansion of the game ?

If there are not any confirmed things, why am i reading "Last expansion" everywhere :huh:

There was a cypher in one of the rulebooks / cards that was translated and posted on some facebook group sayin' that Nyarly's the end. Then the agora speculated a bit, Hypatia died, and the story was written

15 hours ago, ReyD said:

Hello,

Any confirmations on the possibility that Nyarlathotep will be the last expansion of the game ?

If there are not any confirmed things, why am i reading "Last expansion" everywhere :huh:

I think the bulk of the "last expansion" speculation comes from Eldritch reaching Arkham Horror's 'endpoint' as far as expansion count and, as Julia mentioned, the Nylary ciphers and easter eggs hidden the in the rules. That said, sales will ultimately decide the future of the game, nothing formal has been said, and we'll likely only know 'for sure' in a few months (when the next small box expansion is either announced... or not).

I have a feeling that this will be the last expansion for Eldritch Horror. The EH ecosystem is going into its 5th year which is a long time for any product line, especially at FFG. I have a feeling that after this expansion, the game will go dormant and early next year we will hear whatever FFG has lined up as the games replacement, either as a second edition or something else entirely like they did with turning AH into an LCG (maybe creating some sort of version that incorporates a companion app as that seems to be the thing to do these days).

I don't see why there could not be other sideboards. Arkham, San Francisco etc. I think the game could still have a lot of potential.

Whereas I don't see the point of adding more sideboards.

Assuming the Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign is as fun and engaging as I hope, what I'd like to see is another campaign expansion. Horror on the Orient Express, anyone?!

(Now, that would actually be an expansion where a sideboard showing the train with some key wagons would make sense!)

3 hours ago, jhaelen said:

(Now, that would actually be an expansion where a sideboard showing the train with some key wagons would make sense!)

Has been done (somewhat) for Arkham Horror The Card Game and would otherwise be more suited to Mansions of Madness I think.

4 hours ago, jhaelen said:

Whereas I don't see the point of adding more sideboards.

Assuming the Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign is as fun and engaging as I hope, what I'd like to see is another campaign expansion. Horror on the Orient Express, anyone?!

I don't think small scale sideboards make sense. I commented on this before when the idea of an Arkham sideboard came up.

Turns in the game very likely represent weeks. In a double move, you can sail around Africa, across the Pacific, or travel by train across Asia. It would not work if, in the same time frame, an investigator moved from one train car to the next. Or, in the case of the Arkham sideboard, crosses the street to the boarding house.

If Horror on the Orient express comes up, it would make much more sense for the AH LCG.

As for why people think this is th last expansion, it's because it looks a lot like Miskatonic did for Arkham. A big box expansion that expands on older expansions. It looks very much like something that serves to round out the game and tie everything together before the end.

Edited by Eldan985
13 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

As for why people think this is th last expansion, it's because it looks a lot like Miskatonic did for Arkham. A big box expansion that expands on older expansions. It looks very much like something that serves to round out the game and tie everything together before the end.

Does it actually look like Miskatonic Horror in any way?

It looks like Masks of Nyarlathotep is adding a lot of new things to the game with a new Ancient One, new investigator personal stories and a campaign mode.

It's adding stuff to other expansions too, it seems. There's personal stories for investigators from other expansions, there's new Mystic Ruins... while it's not confirmed, I wouldn't be surprised if there would be some content that works with other expansions, too.

I certainly hope it is not! It is my husband, Ian, and my favorite game. The best part about the expansions is that they build on eachother and you can then customize the decks or items as you feel it is needed. Plus, the replayability is never ending. If FF is still making good money on the franchise I don't see why they can't continue as long as they have ideas and source material to draw from.

I agree with Nicolian, there is not a single logical reason why FFG should end the EH product line as long as it sells. If I am correct, AH was stopped because of EH. Although I enjoyed AH it IS quite a rule monster for many people and EH was quickly considered by many to be actually the better and more easy to play HPL-based boardgame of the two so FFG decided to concentrate on EH. A correct decision as we all saw as EH was even more successful than AH. What should they end EH for? The AH LCG? It's something completely different than a classic boardgame and definitely not every one's cup of tea. I watched some playthrough videos (Catweazle on Youtube for example) of AH LCG and didn't like it at all. If FFG would really end the EH product line for THIS I want to make clear, if they end EH I will NOT become a customer for AH LCG instead whatsoever! If they continue to release more EH sets, I will continue to spend more money for them and I am sure many EH fans will too.

And don't forget, they are not even through with the major AOs yet, there are still several of them in queuing line for release: Tsathoggua is still missing, Ghatanothoa only appeared as an epic monster yet, the same for Rhan-Tegoth, there was . Why we get Antedeluvium instead is quite annoying, I don't even now what this is supposed to be, it means "before the deluge" and I couldn't find it anywhere! Why do we get some more obscure alignments instead of some well known AOs which even connect to the new mystic ruins (Mu - Ghatanothoa, Rhan-Tegoth-Hyperborea) is even less understandable to me.

Edited by GBI

Only time will tell, but I'm leaning towards EH not being "done".

One of the big reasons is the success of the Arkham Files line, and the popularity of Arkham Nights. For the past several years, there have been basically 4 "featured" games at Arkham Nights on any given year (sometimes five when one was on its way out), and whenever one reached its end, there was always new product that was in place to supplant it (eg. Eldritch replaced Arkham, AH:LCG replaced the Call of Cthulhu CCG/LCG, MoM2E replaced MoM). Until we see a product announcement for a new lengthy, story-heavy, large scale game, I'll hold out hope that EH will live on (just as I'm holding on to hope for more Elder Sign expansions until they announce a new, streamlined, shorter-length dice game in the Mythos).

The four Arkham Files games do a great job of filling difference niches, and form solid cornerstones for FFG's Mythos games (and I love them all!). I don't see them removing any of them without something else to take their place.

Edited by KBlumhardt

I think they could sell blister packs for each AO online and we would gobble it up.

If they are going to end EH at least do it in October.

I suspect they will close this line and reboot Arkham Horror, mixing in what they learnt from the Eldritch Horror while keeping the "small scale" (i.e. Arkham and environs vs the whole globe) feel of Arkham Horror. I have a feeling they will announce it this year, no later than GenCon but my guess would be earlier.

9 hours ago, jvdvalk said:

I suspect they will close this line and reboot Arkham Horror, mixing in what they learnt from the Eldritch Horror while keeping the "small scale" (i.e. Arkham and environs vs the whole globe) feel of Arkham Horror. I have a feeling they will announce it this year, no later than GenCon but my guess would be earlier.

If they close this line, they will lose customers, I am not interested in any one of the other "featured games", not even AH as is it IMHO inferior to EH in nearly every aspect. If they release more EH expansions I will buy them and many others will too I am sure. Why end a franchise that is successful? Because AH had the same number of expansions? What kind of reason is that?

Edited by GBI
On 2/12/2018 at 7:22 AM, jvdvalk said:

As much as I love the Arkham Files games, I would not likely be buying a reboot of AH. I have the entire set of the original, and love it. I enjoy it enough that I wouldn't be dropping cash to replace them all.

1 hour ago, Soakman said:

As much as I love the Arkham Files games, I would not likely be buying a reboot of AH. I have the entire set of the original, and love it. I enjoy it enough that I wouldn't be dropping cash to replace them all.

If and when we get AH 2nd Edition, I suspect there would be dramatic differences. Maybe not to the level of MoM/MoM2E, but I don't see them doing a new edition with minor updates (like TI3 to TI4) considering the perceived similarities between AH and EH (in that, right or wrong, many people already see EH as "AH 2E"). If the changes weren't significant enough to encourage die-hard AH players to buy the new stuff, why bother?

Edited by KBlumhardt
19 minutes ago, KBlumhardt said:

If and when we get AH 2nd 3rd Edition

;-)

Well, I just picked the box up today and I’m gonna say this is the last one.

for sure? No, but the way they’ve packaged it seems like it.

1. On the back about Personal Stories, it says there are stories “for all 55 investigators”.

2. In the printed rule book for Campaign Play, it has a full list of every AO and which Preludes correspond to them.

So for me that takes investigators and AOs off FFG’s priority list. They even reprint 4 preludes from other expansions.

there are enough new cards in here, when combined with everything else feels like the end.

My $0.02.

For me a big hint is that it's the last one is the fact that we only get 7 new investigators. If there would be any more left to be published than why wouldn't they include 8 like in every other big box expansion ؟
This still leaves the door open for Print on Demand expansions. They should try to publish at least one to gauge the potential profits.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't end the product line after this expansion:

• All Investigators are now released
  • We have 4 large boxes and 4 small boxes, which tends to be the trend across all lines as the maximum
  • The game has had a solid rule base and doesn't need additional elements
  • Given the popularity of EH and the issues with AH, they can now look at doing a better AH 2nd Edition :-D
50 minutes ago, tsuma534 said:

For me a big hint is that it's the last one is the fact that we only get 7 new investigators. If there would be any more left to be published than why wouldn't they include 8 like in every other big box expansion ؟
This still leaves the door open for Print on Demand expansions. They should try to publish at least one to gauge the potential profits.

Because 7 investigators are all that is left to fulfill the entire list. As per my post just now, there are no more to release into an additional box.

28 minutes ago, Rumplestiltskin666 said:
1 hour ago, tsuma534 said:

Because 7 investigators are all that is left to fulfill the entire list. As per my post just now, there are no more to release into an additional box.

6 investigators were all that was left to fulfill the entire list. Daniela Reyes is completely new.
If they have created one brand new investigator for this expansion, then why not create two?

maybe because they would have to add more cards for backstory and their cut out which probably cost more from printers.

Next expansion should perhaps follow Forsaken Lore, add more to existing AOs while introducing another. But how well did forsaken lore due compare to something promising investigators or sideboard??