Mask's of Nyarlathotep sideboard

By Lumberjack Nick, in General Discussion

Maybe they mentioned this in the article, but is there going to be a new sideboard in this upcoming expansion? If so, what of??

Unfortunately, we don't know. There is nothing in the article. - Some think that because there is a campaign mode coming with this expansion and at first glance - though we don't know that much yet - Nyarlathotep seems to be more global, that there won't be a sideboard.

On the cover, we have the Shanghai skyline, so we could maybe get a sideboard in Asia. -- I could see both being true, but we simply won't know until they decide to reveal what's the case here. (Don't count your chickens before they hatch. ;) )

23 hours ago, Lumberjack Nick said:

Maybe they mentioned this in the article, but is there going to be a new sideboard in this upcoming expansion? If so, what of??

I'm 90% sure there was no sideboard at Arkham Nights, and everything seemed pretty finalized at that point... so probably not?

The last big box expansion for Arkham Horror also did not have a new sideboard so a new sideboard is not a fixed thing.

I'm perfectly okay with no new sideboard. I only have so much space on my table.

I was wondering this same thing, but (sad to say) I have a feeling that, much like the Miskatonic University expansion for AH, this will be the last Eldritch Horror expansion. Also, just like that expansion, this one appears to contain a bunch of cards that complement content already published. There will be personal story cards for every investigator in the game, and per the most recent preview, it would appear each investigator has at least three cards each. Plus, as the preview also revealed, there will be multiple mystery card sets (as opposed to just one as in previous expansions). So, again, much like the MU expansion before, the purpose of having a big box here is not for a new sideboard but because it will contain way too many cards to fit in the standard small box.

I really hope it doesn't come with a sideboard. I've avoided all of the expansions containing one since they detract from the main board. Given the content of the CoC RPG mega-adventure-module this is based on, it also doesn't make sense to include just one: If anything it should come with one sideboard for each of the cities. The campaign is all about traveling across the globe, after all.

3 hours ago, jhaelen said:

I really hope it doesn't come with a sideboard. I've avoided all of the expansions containing one since they detract from the main board. Given the content of the CoC RPG mega-adventure-module this is based on, it also doesn't make sense to include just one: If anything it should come with one sideboard for each of the cities. The campaign is all about traveling across the globe, after all.

Maybe this will require all the sideboards simultaneously...

I doubt that. That would mean that people would have to buy three other big expansions before they can use this one. That's surely a bad business move.

I don't think there'll be a sideboard in this one. We see encounters in normal Africa and Shanghai locations, which don't take place on any sideboard, I think that's a pretty strong clue. Surely either the Bloated Woman or the Sand Bat would be on such a sideboard if there was one.

The original RPG campaign of Masks took place in Shanghai, Australia, New York, London, Cairo/Pyramids, Kenya and the "secret location". All of these locations can be accessed on the main board, but you'd have to be creative about where you put Kenya. I guess Heart of Africa is closest even though it's not entirely accurate.

Like others have said there are so many cards in here it's got to be a board-less expansion. I would be curious if campaign mode would include using other boards from time to time (maybe as dictated by Prelude cards), but we'll see shortly...

On 1/24/2018 at 12:53 AM, jhaelen said:

You haven’t gotten any of the big box expansions?? You’re really missing out on some great mechanics!

On 1/24/2018 at 4:41 AM, neosmagus said:

Maybe this will require all the sideboards simultaneously...

Yes! I hope so!!

2 hours ago, Lumberjack Nick said:

You haven’t gotten any of the big box expansions?? You’re really missing out on some great mechanics!

Such as?

On 1/26/2018 at 10:10 AM, jhaelen said:

Such as?

Render of The Veils :D :D :D That's the best mechanic ever made, followed only by Reversal of Fortune. (both are in Dreamlands I believe)

10 hours ago, Runko said:

Render of The Veils :D :D :D That's the best mechanic ever made, followed only by Reversal of Fortune. (both are in Dreamlands I believe)

Neither of which are mechanics.

The big expansions seem a little less vital than the big expansions for Arkham Horror, but I do like the investigators they include and a bunch of the stuff inside. The boards don't get used often in my experience but the Dreamlands one in particular is a lot of fun. Pyramids is interesting but the poor Antarctica board didn't do a great job with my favourite Lovecraft story.

On 1/29/2018 at 10:12 PM, cheapmate said:

Neither of which are mechanics.

I agree.

Even though they impact the game much more than any mechanic ever created to date.

Render of the Veils is a fun event, true, but nothing seems special about Reversal of Fortunes.

51 minutes ago, cheapmate said:

Render of the Veils is a fun event, true, but nothing seems special about Reversal of Fortunes.

Destroy potentially {Investigator Number} of Clues and you can do NOTHING about it, when you are ready to solve a Mystery seems pretty special to me :)

The other text about destroying Items and Spells is just a bonus.