Showcase: Protectorate Starfighter

By Force Majeure, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Looking good!

That conrast paint is making a splash. I keep hearing about it.

On 6/21/2019 at 7:49 AM, Force Majeure said:

That contrast paint is making a splash. I keep hearing about it.

I tried to use the contrast paint on a Fang this weekend. I used "Dark Angels Green" over "Wraithbone White" contrast primer.

I *love* the new contrast primers -- they have a satin finish, dry quickly, and look really clean. They preserve detail as well as a thin airbrush primer layer, which is really nice.

The contrast paints themselves didn't work out for me. Applying Dark Angels Green over the wraithbone white resulted in a blotchy, sticky, uneven mess. Maybe if I had used the grey primer instead of the white primer I would have gotten better results. I didn't even bother to take a picture before throwing that Fang into the alcohol dip.

Ever since I tried Mr Hobby's Mr Surfacer 1500 i've never gone back to Citadel Primers...the particles a re so fine. I threw away my 2 other cans of corax and chaos. Had really bad frosting with those.

16 hours ago, hoarybat said:

I tried to use the contrast paint on a Fang this weekend. I used "Dark Angels Green" over "Wraithbone White" contrast primer.

I *love* the new contrast primers -- they have a satin finish, dry quickly, and look really clean. They preserve detail as well as a thin airbrush primer layer, which is really nice.

The contrast paints themselves didn't work out for me. Applying Dark Angels Green over the wraithbone white resulted in a blotchy, sticky, uneven mess. Maybe if I had used the grey primer instead of the white primer I would have gotten better results. I didn't even bother to take a picture before throwing that Fang into the alcohol dip.

The whole range just seems like such a horrific money grab aimed at milking the beginner painter.

You don't just buy spray primer (which is the sole good part of the range IMO) but you also need it in brush on form as if you "color outside the lines", you need to reapply the white/off-white base color again in that area.

As for the paints:

> You need a special medium to thin them. The medium is expensive for how much of it you get. You cannot just use water (Imagine you could only thin the standard range with Lahmian Medium.)

> The paints are more expensive and you will rebuy the same color more often.
People like to bring up the bigger pots, however it is a thinner paint you need to pick up a lot more of onto your brush. It also spills about as well as the Shade range.

> Speaking of paint consistency, the way you pick up a lot of paint and spread it over whatever surface you are painting sounds like it would ruin your brushes quickly as the paint seeps into the ferrule easier (you can counter this a bit by cleaning your brushes consistently).

> The mixing potential is there but is not as good as any other acrylic paint. So you will end up buying a lot of the different expensive paints.

> If you want to take your painting to another level by highlighting, you need to buy the regular paints because these work only light to dark.

> If you over-apply the finish ends up being shiny (same for washes) so you likely also want the flat varnish.

> These just do not look that great if not applied to a surface rich in detail or texture.

The only true benefit I see is the fact they are pre-thinned to the correct consistency. And I am not sure this outweighs the other nonsense.

I just could not honestly recommend this to anyone just starting to paint.

Edit: One interesting use is to apply them over a silver base coat for that toy car metallic paint look. Previously you could only do this with their gemstone technical paints or blood for the blood god red gel paint.

Edited by Polda

I think that's selling contrast a bit short to be honest. Yes they arent particularly well suited for vehicles or x wing minis but if you head over to the legion section plenty of people are getting decent results from them.

On 7/7/2019 at 11:25 AM, spears said:

I think that's selling contrast a bit short to be honest. Yes they arent particularly well suited for vehicles or x wing minis but if you head over to the legion section plenty of people are getting decent results from them.

For 7.80 USD per bottle I sure hope they do.
What I am getting at is more the idea that for a beginner, who might not yet be fully committed to the painting hobby, these might simply not be worth their cost. If a person just wants to dip their toes into painting, I'd look at the cheaper (but still great) Vallejo Model Color or Army Painter instead of overspending on Contrast, even Citadel Base.

This is of course an opinion, if you have the money, go ahead.

Edited by Polda

I've been slathering Apothecary White over a couple of white primed ships and not really seeing much benefit other than thickening the base.

Seems like a null result experiment. I'll try the black next time.

Did this color scheme a while back in honor of our dearly departed Gil. I have gotten only marginally better at washing since then.

IMG_20190201_194442.jpg

IMG_20190714_093421.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Whalers on the moon
Please no one tell my wife I spelled her Fish's name wrong.

Looks good! Impressive coverage with Orange!

I am assuming you're using Nuln Oil as a dark wash? Judging by how the wash came out, and a lot of personnal experience, I think you just need to thin your wash more to help it cooperate. I, in all seriousness, suggest using Windex as a diluent.

Or use Lahmian Medium on a tiny brush, and use it to 'reactivate' the Nuln Oil in the center of each panel. It will lift off the excess Nuln Oil leaving it being in the panel gaps. Leave some Nuln Oil at the edges of the panels to represent aging/wear.

Fangs!

IMG-1086.jpg
IMG-1087.jpg
IMG-1088.jpg
IMG-1089.jpg

I like the clean look. You can see that Mandos take care of their equipment

I had been wanting to do this one for a while, but didn't get the courage to do the stars until seeing them done on Gold Squadron Paintcast. I will go back and do the stars over again someday.

WIN_20191011_15_40_16_Pro.jpg?width=1083

WIN_20191011_15_40_30_Pro.jpg?width=1083

WIN_20191011_15_40_22_Pro.jpg?width=1083

For those not from the US, the state flag of Ohio:

e8a85afc-6188-4e23-b6ba-8fd807248895_1.f

UqNEJRF.jpg

Bossk & Boba

More fangs!

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST2020020900443

IMG_20200209_004407.jpg?width=812&height

IMG_20200209_004351.jpg?width=812&height

Is that color-shift paint? Probably not, now that I see the location of the colors stays consistent from shot to shot...

Great work!

It is color shift paint, I just have no idea how to photograph it.

5 hours ago, ChrisW4 said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/aZjGcQ8

They look really good 👏🏻

The all white one is awesome.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:11 PM, Whalers on the moon said:

More fangs!

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST2020020900443

IMG_20200209_004407.jpg?width=812&height

IMG_20200209_004351.jpg?width=812&height

They’re awesome, well done.

21 hours ago, Marcus Starkiller said:

The all white one is awesome.

Thanks. Embarrassingly I didn’t mean to say mine looked really good I just messed up the quotes for the colour shift ones 🤦🏼‍♂️

16 hours ago, ChrisW4 said:

Thanks. Embarrassingly I didn’t mean to say mine looked really good I just messed up the quotes for the colour shift ones 🤦🏼‍♂️

Let's pretend you meant it about your own ships. It's refreshing to have someone speak proudly of their work once in a while!

My Fang

mG90UkQ.jpg

aNFmjDq.jpg

B6q0CFi.jpg

imEo5tU.jpg

kqtlESC.jpg

0zwUweH.jpg