Showcase: Protectorate Starfighter

By Force Majeure, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

This still counts as a Fang, right?

5c88dad89ed6258da1f9c42a89ea4cb2.jpg

(paint job is pretty marginal but I was happy with the mod :) )

That's a cool mod!

2 hours ago, Kieransi said:

This still counts as a Fang, right?

5c88dad89ed6258da1f9c42a89ea4cb2.jpg

(paint job is pretty marginal but I was happy with the mod :) )

Looks loads better than the canon version. How did you do the cuts?

8 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Looks loads better than the canon version. How did you do the cuts?

Thanks! Wire snippers.

(I'm a very unprofessional painter/modder :) )

2 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Thanks! Wire snippers.

(I'm a very unprofessional painter/modder :) )

Explains the rough edges, still looks really nice. They do make saw blades for X-Acto knives, something you could look into if you plan to do any more mods like this. :)

Just now, Hiemfire said:

Explains the rough edges, still looks really nice. They do make saw blades for X-Acto knives, something you could look into if you plan to do any more mods like this. :)

Yeah I lost my X-Acto saws a while ago and never bothered buying more... my laziness outweighs my perfectionism when I comes to painting I guess. :)

1 minute ago, Kieransi said:

Yeah I lost my X-Acto saws a while ago and never bothered buying more... my laziness outweighs my perfectionism when I comes to painting I guess. :)

You're a better painter than I. :)

Mine are here!

On 12/4/2018 at 7:12 AM, Ravncat said:

I swear I've seen one just like this at a local store...

I finished an "inverse" version of my earlier "Suicide Pink" Fenn Rau special. I love this ship, both in the game and to paint -- compared to A-Wings and B-Wings, these things are a dream to paint and highlight. The 2E resculpt of the Fang is objectively a better model than the original 1E edition. Here, Pink = 2E, Green = 1E.

dwNOp9tm.jpg

HLO4r7im.jpg

Odr9FKYm.jpg

Finally, here are the lads flying with Boba in the Marauder:

v7BBRDCm.jpg

On 1/17/2019 at 5:51 AM, RuusMarev said:

I swear I've seen one just like this at a local store...

In Japan? Katana Squadron logo and all? Then we met!

12 hours ago, Ravncat said:

In Japan? Katana Squadron logo and all? Then we met!

Probably not then :)

It was in my local store as a prize.. maybe they saw it and copied it, or they had the same idea.

On 1/20/2019 at 6:45 AM, RuusMarev said:

Probably not then :)

It was in my local store as a prize.. maybe they saw it and copied it, or they had the same idea.

I wouldn't be surprised, Black + red is a nice combo - and would compliment those red starvipers..

Painted up my second Fang, with an eye toward diversifying into less dirty arenas. Some panels have a gloss coat, some have matte. And now with 100% more magnets.

AItlOdt.jpg

S3i15Z3.jpg

DSCN2619.JPG

DSCN2615.JPG

DSCN2617.JPG

Cockpit looks like a bantha **** on the pics por some reason. I swear it looks not so terrible on the table. ¬¬

Don't sweat the pics. At arms length is how 98% of people are going to see it anyways.

But maybe thin you paint a bit next time.

6 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

But maybe thin you paint a bit next time.

No, it was the ink. Paint-step was ok but the blaCk ink looks absolutely brrrrgh on that ship. I used that yellow paint/ black ink scheme on other cockpits and it worked. Maybe it something in the model itself. Or maybe the paint wasn't dry at all. Dunno. Whatever. I like the engines.

On 4/27/2019 at 6:55 PM, Minaith said:

DSCN2619.JPG

DSCN2615.JPG

DSCN2617.JPG

Cockpit looks like a bantha **** on the pics por some reason. I swear it looks not so terrible on the table. ¬¬

Fantastic.

Did this guy up for prize support for a tourney in Virginia

FVtP8a2.jpg

wvCUbtv.jpg

WUt8wTg.jpg

Well gosh, these things are an absolute pleasure to paint. A billion times more amenable and rewarding than the Viper I'm working on.

This chap just fell into place.

PyFOjtv.jpg

fZ8xvTW.jpg

nwzvwbY.jpg

Still don't exactly know what to do with engine glow but hey, a light blurry mess there is fine :D

Oh man, great work! I've actually had the opposite problem, regarding painting the Fang. I have such a hard time with this ship. I can't seem to be satisfied with anything I come up with. But yours... yours is one worth copying!

Our Zealous Recruit does not fly without a Swarm wingman, (or 3 more Fangs), so it was necessary to provide him with a matching partner.

One Fenn Rau fits the bill....

(Although I seem to have left the wrong plate on when snapping)

e60orB0.jpg

kt9y6AL.jpg

But now tomorrow's HS squad is ready to snazz the place up.

6lHVmri.jpg

Side note. The 4 white lines on Fenns left panel are in honour of his finest moment for us, the popping of 4 RZ-2s in 4 successive turns to swing a match from awkward losing battle to utter whitewash :D

@Cuz05 , I'm really digging the complementary Fangs you painted. They really are fun models to paint, aren't they? Those nice long edges and big flat panels ...

vq4yHrV.jpg

Trying out the new Citadel Contrast - wasn't happy with the straight contrast effect but with some mixing and touch up achieved a nice result. This is Wraithbone base, Apothecary White (thinned 1:1 with water), touch up with an Wraithbone/Apothecary White mix, edge highlight with a Ceramite White/Wraithbone mix.