Showcase: M3-A Interceptor "Scyk"

By Force Majeure, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

The Glassies Glass Cannon This Side of the Rishi Maze

r7jWMhs.jpg bK1uV1T.jpg

I really like that Laetin sceme

This is an old trandoshan slaver, now retired on Tatooine as a minor Jabba-friendly merchant, specialized on bacta. Just testing thinner to match the Citadel Contrast paints. By the way, I forgot to paint the engine glow. Shame on me. A fe w more pictures her e.

DSCN2754.JPG

Edited by Minaith

Continued discussions of Scyks forced me to finally repaint the fourth little bugger I picked up a few weeks ago. I picked up a few weeks ago, and have not gotten to play a single game since. Siiiiigh..... At any rate, painted the new one, touched up the second one, and now all four are ready to fly.

n5WmuB9.jpg

6msL4ym.jpg

pt7F0jI.jpg

Edited by Kleeg005
16 hours ago, Kleeg005 said:

Continued discussions of Scyks forced me to finally repaint the fourth little bugger I picked up a few weeks ago. I picked up a few weeks ago, and have not gotten to play a single game since. Siiiiigh..... At any rate, painted the new one, touched up the second one, and now all four are ready to fly.

n5WmuB9.jpg

6msL4ym.jpg

pt7F0jI.jpg

I like the team-look on this four! And the dirty/scumish style.

I've been using the M3A to guage my progress as a painter. I am trying to paint one ever 6 months or so to see how I am progressing. There is definitely marked improvement after my initial yellow and black one.

I tried experimenting with color shift paint on the third one which doesn't show up really well in the picture, but when tilted the black can almost disappear into the green-gold wings.

WIN_20191011_15_38_49_Pro.jpg?width=1083

IMG_20190219_205431.jpg?width=812&height

IMG_20190219_205329.jpg?width=812&height

WIN_20191011_15_37_05_Pro.jpg?width=1083

WIN_20191011_15_37_32_Pro.jpg?width=1083

On 10/17/2019 at 3:19 PM, Whalers on the moon said:

I've been using the M3A to guage my progress as a painter. I am trying to paint one ever 6 months or so to see how I am progressing. There is definitely marked improvement after my initial yellow and black one.

I tried experimenting with color shift paint on the third one which doesn't show up really well in the picture, but when tilted the black can almost disappear into the green-gold wings.

The paint looks too thick, especially on the first one, but throughout. Thin it out, and use less on the brush, even if it means you need to do several layers to reach color saturation. It takes longer, but looks better.

For highlights lightly dip the tip of the brush, then dry some of it off with a cloth/tissue before brushing it over raised edges, this is called "drybrushing", and is great for creating a lighting effect.

LWJRnO7.jpg

Zuckuss & 4-LOM

Dengar & IG-88

Zip1s1G.jpg

Still trying to get better:

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200131151136577_CO

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200131151224021_CO

One on the left was painted approximately 20 months prior to the one on the right.

Edited by Whalers on the moon
2 hours ago, Whalers on the moon said:

Still trying to get better:

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200131151136577_CO

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200131151224021_CO

One on the left was painted approximately 20 months prior to the one on the right.

Huge improvement! ๐Ÿ‘ Those Scyks could be inspired by wasps/bees..?

2 hours ago, Jokkker said:

Huge improvement! ๐Ÿ‘ Those Scyks could be inspired by wasps/bees..?

They are in fact! The fourth one was from a paper wasp:

Image result for red paper wasp

I just got a bottle of blue colorshift paint, so the next one this summer will almost definitely be mud dauber inspired.

Crimson Dawn scheme inspired by the First Light:

kelsouZ.jpg

I also really like to see my painting skill progress and am thinking about repainting my Zann Consortium ships. Although this would result in a bit thick layer of paint -.-

On 12/2/2019 at 6:50 AM, Cerebrawl said:

The paint looks too thick, especially on the first one, but throughout. Thin it out, and use less on the brush, even if it means you need to do several layers to reach color saturation. It takes longer, but looks better.

For highlights lightly dip the tip of the brush, then dry some of it off with a cloth/tissue before brushing it over raised edges, this is called "drybrushing", and is great for creating a lighting effect.

This tip just blew my mind. The drybrushing part. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Wasp theme is really strong!

Also donโ€™t be afraid to revisit old paint jobs and tidy them up.

Thanks OT. I'm actually using the old ones to mark my abilities over time, so I'm leaving the old ones how they are. In 2-3 years I would have a swarm of 7 or 8 that all have acceptable paint jobs, but that is a secondary concern at the moment (although there appears to be a new range 1-3 canon on the horizon so who knows).

I have definitely given all of my other models from 2 years ago a relaxing soak in simple green for sure though.

Serissu re-paint.

IMG_20200312_223744.jpg IMG_20200312_223733.jpg

Edited by AJsWargaming

I've posted these in my thread already, but I'll drop them here too, in case people come searching specifically for Scyks :)

5TJQQo0.jpg

y2TJY58.jpg

Very pleased with how they came out, so any excuse to post them again :D

My own interpretation of the gory Droid G4R-GOR v/m:

uMzJYeP.jpg

LYG42JKl.jpg

yXgIb1Zl.jpg

I wanted to have a similar scheme as my other Black Sun ships.

Genesis Red and Sunny Bounder repaints.....

IMG_5515%202_zps7drglqp6.jpg

IMG_5514_zpskpibniuk.jpg

kqtlESC.jpg

imEo5tU.jpg

FkjNzj1.jpg

StGKuKo.jpg

These are great!