It's on the Boat!

By KBlumhardt, in General Discussion

As of this morning, Masks of Nyarlathotep is officially "On the Boat".

So... we're likely less than 2 months out. I can't wait!

awesome me too - it feels like almost a year since the last expansion.

KBlum, I remember reading something from you saying you were at the Arkham Nights this year, and that one of the FFG staffers implied there might be more after Masks?

It sure feels like FFG has their hands full with the card games and MoM2e, but and maybe they're going to let this one fade away after Masks...that's part hope yes (for my wallet), and part hope no ('cos I like new stuff for the game).

52 minutes ago, Krysmo said:

awesome me too - it feels like almost a year since the last expansion.

KBlum, I remember reading something from you saying you were at the Arkham Nights this year, and that one of the FFG staffers implied there might be more after Masks?

It sure feels like FFG has their hands full with the card games and MoM2e, but and maybe they're going to let this one fade away after Masks...that's part hope yes (for my wallet), and part hope no ('cos I like new stuff for the game).

I'm in exactly the same boat... part of me hopes there will be more (it's my favorite game... I want more and more and more!) but (a smaller!) part of me thinks there's probably enough (my storage solution has officially run out of room). I would certainly love to see the game continue to be supported through POD "Ancient One" packs after the small box/large box expansion schedule runs its course.

...and yes, at Arkham Nights, I spoke to someone VERY involved with the game who basically said there was no reason to assume this was to be the last expansion. They wouldn't outright say if more were in the works, but a certain type of smirk speaks volumes.

I'm of the thinking that FFG will pretty much always have a version of either AH or EH "active", so right now I think if we do stop seeing expansions for EH it would be to make way for AH 3rd Ed or a 2nd Edition of EH. That's just total supposition on my part, though.

Edited by KBlumhardt

What do you think the following statement means in the MoN product literature. In particular, I am interested in what is meant by "The investigators must work to stop the that cults spring up". It sounds to me like "cults" will spawn like clues or gates. Other thoughts on this?

Strange cults are gathering strength in remote corners and bustling cities all over the world. Though they seem to worship different gods, the investigators have found a thread that runs throughout all of the cultists’ horrific rites. In Masks of Nyarlathotep , each of these sects pursues the awakening of an aspect of the same horrific creature: Nyarlathotep. This being is known as the Messenger of the Outer Gods, and he is the only Ancient One that still actively walks among humanity. The investigators must work to stop the that cults spring up to serve his many guises, or Nyarlathotep will gain enough strength to open the Ultimate Gate, ushering in an unthinkable doom.

Though they seem to worship different gods, the investigators have found a thread that runs throughout all of the cultists

This has got to have something to do with the campaign mode and the cults are the thread tying each game together.

Could also just be how Nyarlathotep is fought. The RPG campaign included a number of seemingly unconnected cults that all worshipped Avatars of Narly.

This:

eh09_card_adventure-cult-of-sand-bat-bac

Shows the back of an adventure card with the Sand Bat on it, one of those cults.

Nyarlathotep’s followers dot the face of the earth, opening gates and weakening the membrane between this reality and the realm of the Outer Gods. These cults of Nyarlathotep must be rooted out by undertaking new Adventures and by visiting the sites of new Mystic Ruins. Will you work to destroy the Australian Cult of the Sand Bat, or perhaps there is something to be found in the lost Yithian city of Pnakotus? The investigators will need to race to gather information and stop the influence of Nyarlathotep in each and every form he takes, but it will take careful planning if they hope to stamp out enough of his followers in time.

Could be that Nyarlathotep is not fought by solving mysteries, like other Old Ones, but with adventures. Or that his mysteries are adventures. Though Ruins seem to be involved as well. (I had initially assumed the new ruins were for the Antediluvium, the other Old one, but this mentions them with Nyarlathotep too.)

Hopefully we get another preview article soon! As for future expansions, I would be all for a restructuring of the current model, especially since we are currently tapped out for investigators until enough new ones are introduced. They could start releasing Ancient One only expansions in cheaper blister packs (there are still quite a few we have not seen).

super excited, and i check every day hoping for more info... especially since my favorite story is the Haunter of the Dark.

would've really, reaalllly loved to have seen a Church of Starry Wisdom kind of cult pop up, which i guess is kind of the same thing as the cult of the sand bat?

On 1/9/2018 at 7:27 AM, Eldan985 said:

Could be that Nyarlathotep is not fought by solving mysteries, like other Old Ones, but with adventures. Or that his mysteries are adventures. Though Ruins seem to be involved as well. (I had initially assumed the new ruins were for the Antediluvium, the other Old one, but this mentions them with Nyarlathotep too.)

I'm unreasonably excited by the idea of running through adventures to defeat Old Ones instead of the standard solve 3 mysteries. That method has the potential to make the game so much more thematic.