Genesys Talents Expanded

By TheSapient, in Genesys

I have one more for you:

Unrelenting Skeptic: When targeted by a Deception check, the character automatically adds FAILURE to the check equal to ranks in Vigilance.

Unrelenting Skeptic Improved: Your character must have purchased the Unrelenting Skeptic talent to benefit from this talent. When targeted by a Deception check that fails, may spend 1 Story Point to add DESPAIR to results.

We tiered both of these as 4, which is not great. However, 3 seems low for the base and 5 seems high for the improved. Recommendations?

Actually, those are two that I do think belong at 4-5. With the way social encounters work now, the ability to neutralize a Deception check and force a powerful disadvantage on the target is pretty valuable.

Thanks again.

Bah. Sorry. Another:

Custom Loadout: Your character must have purchased the Signature Vehicle talent to benefit from this talent. May add 2 additional hard points to Signature Vehicles.

How about: May add 2 additional hard points to Signature Vehicles, if your campaign is using vehicle "hard points". Otherwise, may add one mount for a weapon or piece of equipment (approved by the GM).

Vehicle customization is a can of worms at best, due to their being no vehicle hard points and no guidelines on creating your own vehicles. If there was either, it might be easier to incorporate.

It's one thing for people who have also bought Star Wars, as they can simply cross reference that. It's another thing for new people who pick up Genesys but not Star Wars, and have no intention to. At this point, I would cut Custom Loadout, or put it into an appendix with some of the other talents that were axed. Maybe you can write a short "how to" section if you do.

Version 1.0 of this will have the non-FFG derived talents at the end. Perhaps we should put Custom Loadout in that section, with the hard point text replaced with " add one mount for a weapon or piece of equipment (approved by the GM)" . There are just so many settings, IMO, where people will want rules for adding to vehicles.

The entire Signature vehicle system has become much more powerful thanks to the talent pyramid. In Star Wars the talents are ranked but the existing number of each talent is highly restrained.

Custom load out could be given a completely Narrative option at the end:

“If your campaign is not using Vehicle Hard Points then you may use this talent to make changes to the visual appearance of your Signature Vehicle. These changes should benefit the character in some ways but are subject to gm approval.”

ok thats crap writing but I hope you get what I’m trying to drive at, the Vehicle becomes unique in some way such as:

a stage coach with a rotating turret

a hot rod with mad custom wheels and serious street

A lowrider with air bags so it can bounce

A sloop with the most refined guest quarters

A Starship with incredible sensors

Love this resource, thank you!

good stuff. thanks for sharing

Curious why Barrage is a tier 3 when there are examples of it being a tier I and II. The difficulty is going to more than make up for having a few extra points of damage. Either the enemy is going to close in and you're going to lose the benefit or if you just close in yourself you will definitely be rolling more successes and therefore do more damage so the talent really isn't that useful. I'd think tier II would make more sense.

18 minutes ago, lordannoyed said:

Curious why Barrage is a tier 3 when there are examples of it being a tier I and II. The difficulty is going to more than make up for having a few extra points of damage. Either the enemy is going to close in and you're going to lose the benefit or if you just close in yourself you will definitely be rolling more successes and therefore do more damage so the talent really isn't that useful. I'd think tier II would make more sense.

Tier 2 it is. The Sapient is working on the final version 1 to release to everyone.

We should have something good for everyone tomorrow!

I haven’t read any of the Tier 5 stuff yet, but I’m loving this list a lot.

Just a minor note, you list uncanny senses as not being ranked but then in the description it says you gain 2 boost die per rank.

Also the talent in EOTE Core rulebook says it is just one boost die per rank. I'm not sure if you're changing the talent or not to be more Genesys like.

Edited by lordannoyed
8 minutes ago, lordannoyed said:

Just a minor note, you list uncanny senses as not being ranked but then in the description it says you gain 2 boost die per rank.

Also the talent in EOTE Core rulebook says it is just one boost die per rank. I'm not sure if you're changing the talent or not to be more Genesys like.

Thanks. Keep 'em coming. The reality is we looked at around 550 talents, and likely missed quite a few things.

Thank you for the work you put into it guys!

Disarm, Grapple, and Hard-Boiled could all probably be raised a tier. The first two are both relatively expensive talents placed near the high-end of their trees, while the last is found in only one tree, so has limited ranks. I think all three fit into "game changers" that tier 3 is presented as well enough.

Quickdraw (Improved) should be Quick Draw (Improved), I don't care what the book says.

Plausible Deniability (page 25) still has the "per rank of Plausible Deniability" qualifier. I would change this to "equal to your Willpower." Same with In the Know on page 32, though I'm not sure what the modifier should be on that one.

Edited by Swordbreaker
28 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

Disarm, Grapple, and Hard-Boiled could all probably be raised a tier. The first two are both relatively expensive talents placed near the high-end of their trees, while the last is found in only one tree, so has limited ranks. I think all three fit into "game changers" that tier 3 is presented as well enough.

When you say disarm, are you referring to resist disarm? If so then I think he might have a point on this one.

Not entirely sure I agree with you on raising grapple. There are several ways that you could knock down a character for 2 adv. For 2 adv you can gain a free maneuver so I feel the talent is just working the already in place mechanic backwards. If you raise it another level there is no point in taking this talent. Just use a weapon that will knock them down or ensnare them.

Hard-boiled is found at tier I though. I think raising it to tier II is justifiable. I'd be hesitant to say "It is rare" bc what if they just didn't think of the talent until the book came out? ND is one of the last books to have come out (I think it is the last EOTE books, right?)

1 minute ago, lordannoyed said:

When you say disarm, are you referring to resist disarm? If so then I think he might have a point on this one.

Not entirely sure I agree with you on raising grapple. There are several ways that you could knock down a character for 2 adv. For 2 adv you can gain a free maneuver so I feel the talent is just working the already in place mechanic backwards. If you raise it another level there is no point in taking this talent. Just use a weapon that will knock them down or ensnare them.

Hard-boiled is found at tier I though. I think raising it to tier II is justifiable. I'd be hesitant to say "It is rare" bc what if they just didn't think of the talent until the book came out? ND is one of the last books to have come out (I think it is the last EOTE books, right?)

No, I mean Disarm. It is what they are calling Sun Djem.

You might be thinking of Overbalance. Grapple is the one that forces an opponent to spend 2 maneuvers to disengage. The reason I say tier 3 is because A) it is relatively costly in the two trees it appears in, and B) the effect is devastating to minions and rivals; the former cannot suffer strain to perform a second maneuver, so they have to sacrifice their action to get away, and the latter take strain as wounds, so they go down faster to get away.

Hard-Boiled is already tier 2 (page 11). It is also a very valuable ability, as the recovery check is normally at simple, and there's almost nothing else to spend advantage on in that check. It is essentially free wound recovery. And they have balanced strong talents via rarity before, like with Burly.

Where were you guys when I was asking for volunteers for this project? :)

These changes will be considered before the next version is released.

So I've got these talents I kicked around a while ago:

Life or Death : Tier 3. Activation: Passive. Ranked: No. When your character suffers wounds equal to half of their wound threshold or greater, add [1 Boost die] to all combat checks they make.

Life or Death ( Improved ): Tier 4. Activation: Passive. Ranked: No. Prerequisite: Life or Death. When your character suffers wounds equal to half of their wound threshold or greater, upgrade the ability of all combat checks they make. This replaces the normal effects of Life or Death.

Life or Death ( Supreme ): Tier 5. Activation: Passive. Ranked: No. Prerequisite: Life or Death. The effects of Life or Death activate when your character takes wounds equal to one quarter of their wound threshold, instead of half.

I feel like this may be a fun set of talents to play around with, but I don't think they have all that much impact. Too much investment (suffer wounds) for too little return (a single boost? Or a single upgrade?).

7 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

So I've got these talents I kicked around a while ago:

Life or Death : Tier 3. Activation: Passive. Ranked: No. When your character suffers wounds equal to half of their wound threshold or greater, add [1 Boost die] to all combat checks they make.

Life or Death ( Improved ): Tier 4. Activation: Passive. Ranked: No. Prerequisite: Life or Death. When your character suffers wounds equal to half of their wound threshold or greater, upgrade the ability of all combat checks they make. This replaces the normal effects of Life or Death.

Life or Death ( Supreme ): Tier 5. Activation: Passive. Ranked: No. Prerequisite: Life or Death. The effects of Life or Death activate when your character takes wounds equal to one quarter of their wound threshold, instead of half.

I feel like this may be a fun set of talents to play around with, but I don't think they have all that much impact. Too much investment (suffer wounds) for too little return (a single boost? Or a single upgrade?).

My initial reaction is that these are reasonable and reasonably priced. I can definitely see the appeal for a certain kind of character.

Edited by TheSapient
1 hour ago, Swordbreaker said:

You might be thinking of Overbalance. Grapple is the one that forces an opponent to spend 2 maneuvers to disengage. The reason I say tier 3 is because A) it is relatively costly in the two trees it appears in, and B) the effect is devastating to minions and rivals; the former cannot suffer strain to perform a second maneuver, so they have to sacrifice their action to get away, and the latter take strain as wounds, so they go down faster to get away.

Hard-Boiled is already tier 2 (page 11). It is also a very valuable ability, as the recovery check is normally at simple, and there's almost nothing else to spend advantage on in that check. It is essentially free wound recovery. And they have balanced strong talents via rarity before, like with Burly.

It already costs a maneuver to disengage so the talent just means that they require one additional move to disengage at the cost of you spending a maneuver. What else can I do to require an opponent to take 2 maneuvers to disengage me? I can use knockdown, either from my fists or a weapon (and my enemy is already within engaged range). I can use a weapon that uses ensnare. Or I can spend 3 advantages to simply knock him prone regardless of what I'm using (shooting someone at point blank range with a noisy cricket for example). All 3 of these give you the ability to do exactly what this talent does. 2 of them require just 2 adv. 2adv=a free maneuver. So the ability is balanced before you even take the talent. And there are at least 3 different ways that you could accomplish this feat without the talent. Moving it up makes no sense bc if I don't have the feat at a lower level, then why would I ever want to take it at a higher level? They moved Pin down from a tier 5 talent too. Why? Bc that made absolutely no sense being that high in that tree. Sometimes FFG has put some talents at higher levels than what they should be simply to make a particular career a bit more balanced. I forget which tree it was in, but I'm pretty sure I've seen grit at like tier 4 or 5. Why? Again, to make that particular tree balanced. I don't think this would hinder rivals, give the rival this talent and send them up close and engaged with a PC who uses range and watch them scream in terror. It might hinder minions who are only using range but really they're minions...And if that is an issue have the minions start out at long range and have them keep moving back instead of sitting there.

And I'm not saying don't place talents based on rarity. You do need to take into account WHEN the talent first appeared though. Burly came out in I think the second career book years ago so that makes sense that it is definitely a RARE talent. Hard-boiled came out so recently though that is it rare, or they just haven't added it into more books yet bc they just thought it up? You don't know.

The disarm thing Idk why but the pdf didn't pull that one feat up first. I don't know if I misspelled something or what. And it's not like there isn't 40 freaking pages to go through or anything. :-P

Edited by lordannoyed
56 minutes ago, TheSapient said:

Where were you guys when I was asking for volunteers for this project? :)

These changes will be considered before the next version is released.

lol, I'm mostly mentioning the placement on the talents and that is a very subjective thing. The way you run your campaign might make sense for certain talents to be at certain levels while in my campaign having them higher or lower might be more appropriate. You did a freaking amazing job at making this beast.