Genesys Talents Expanded

By TheSapient, in Genesys

TheSapient, ESP77, Swordbreaker, Richardbuxton, and drainsmith proudly present

Genesys Talents Expanded

Over 300 talents from Edge of the Empire, Age of Resistance, Force and Destiny, and Genesys collected, vetted, and adapted to the Genesys system.

Version 5.0 (PDF) is Here

But maybe you want to make some changes. You can do so in THIS WORD FILE ! (To make this format correctly, PAGE LAYOUT->COLUMNS->2)

You need it in spreadsheet form? HERE IT IS IN EXCEL!

You really will need to download and install these TTF Genesys Fonts , which were posted HERE .

Changelog from Version 1.0 is HERE .

Drainsmith's beautiful take on Version 4.2 is still available here .

Edited by TheSapient

I had a blast working on this with Sapient! Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it!

Vehicle Combat Training on page 15 lists Driving, Gunnery, Operating, and Piloting. Piloting and Driving are kind of weirdly listed so I thought maybe there were probably some decisions being made on how exactly to break that one down rather than having 4 career skills tied to that talent.

Good catch. We definitely want d to keep things in line with Basic Combat Training from Genesys ala three skills.

My unsolicited opinion would be to do Driving, Gunnery, and Piloting and leave Operating to be bundled with something like Astrocartography and something else for a Helmsman Training Talent once you start doing your own Talents.

29 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

My unsolicited opinion would be to do Driving, Gunnery, and Piloting and leave Operating to be bundled with something like Astrocartography and something else for a Helmsman Training Talent once you start doing your own Talents.

Consider your opinion solicited.

This list is excellent! I would suggest two indexes, one for the "official" talents and a second for all the vetted fan made talents. I have a few that I'd like to toss about when you're ready to take some suggestions.

This is really good! Thanks a lot for compiling all these talents.

2 minutes ago, dresdinseven said:

This list is excellent! I would suggest two indexes, one for the "official" talents and a second for all the vetted fan made talents. I have a few that I'd like to toss about when you're ready to take some suggestions.

The dream is to have a web based app that allows the user to sort and select talents to create a document for their specific game. I have the rudimentary skills to set up a form, query a database and make an OK output, but I know my skills are not up to modern standards. And I don't have a server or a domain or the willingness to pay for them. :)

5 minutes ago, dresdinseven said:

Can’t wait!

1 hour ago, ESP77 said:

I had a blast working on this with Sapient! Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it!

Agreed! Great collaboration!

When a Talent refers to another Talent (e.g. Freerunning (Improved) needs Freerunning), maybe list a Tier or page number along with the referenced Talent to help find things when you need to go back and forth.

Thank you! This represents a LOT of effort!

Quick note:

Familiar (Improved) is listed, but Familiar is not.

Edited by kavaliro
1 minute ago, kavaliro said:

Thank you! This represents a LOT of effort!

Quick note:

Familiar (Improved) is listed, but Familiar is not.

Familiar is a Tier 2, so it's earlier in the document...hence my idea right before my post

This one is from another post I made, with a bit of editing from my original posting.

Talent: Technical Focus

• Tier:1
  • Activation: Passive
  • Ranked: Yes
  • Prerequisites: None
  • Description: Choose one specific subset of the Mechanics skill (Vehicle [Pilot, Drive, or Operate], Security and Surveillance Systems, Computer Hardware, Demolitions, Cybernetics, Metal Working, ect). Increase the skill rating by 1 (to a maximum of four) per rank in this Talent when making Mechanics checks relating to the chosen specialty, as approved by the GM. Setting specific applications of Mechanics (such as Lock-picking and Trap Finding) can be used with this talent.

This is the "I want to be an auto mechanic but not an actual Do-Everything-Engineer" talent. It allows a dip into a tech specialty without committing a career skill slot or a deep dive into one facet without blowing all your XP for a bunch of utility that doesn't fit with your character concept.

This next one isn't my own, I might have seen it in a reddit post (I can't find it here or there on a cursory glance). Here is my version:

Talent: Educated

• Description: Choose one specific subset of the Knowledge skill (such as History, Region (specify), Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, High Society, Underworld, ect) and decrease the difficulty by 1 for all related Knowledge checks. Each rank of Educated adds another specialty.

Talent: Educated (Improved)

• Tier:3
  • Prerequisites: Educated
  • Description: Decrease the difficulty of all Knowledge checks affected by Educated by an additional 1 per rank in Educated (Improved)
Edited by dresdinseven
9 minutes ago, dresdinseven said:

This one is from another post I made, with a bit of editing from my original posting.

Talent: Technical Focus

• Description: Choose one specific subset of the Mechanics skill (Vehicle [Pilot, Drive, or Operate], Security and Surveillance Systems, Computer Hardware, Demolitions, Cybernetics, Metal Working, ect). Increase the skill rating by 1 (to a maximum of four) per rank in this Talent when making Mechanics checks relating to the chosen specialty, as approved by the GM. Setting specific applications of Mechanics (such as Lock-picking and Trap Finding) can be used with this talent.

This is the "I want to be an auto mechanic but not an actual Do-Everything-Engineer" talent. It allows a dip into a tech specialty without committing a career skill slot or a deep dive into one facet without blowing all your XP for a bunch of utility that doesn't fit with your character concept.

This next one isn't my own, I might have seen it in a reddit post (I can't find it here or there on a cursory glance). Here is my version:

Talent: Educated

• Description: Choose one specific subset of the Knowledge skill (such as History, Region (specify), Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, High Society, Underworld, ect) and decrease the difficulty by 1 for all related Knowledge checks. Each rank of Educated adds another specialty.

Talent: Educated (Improved)

• Tier:3
  • Description: Decrease the difficulty of all Knowledge checks affected by Educated by an additional 1 per rank in Educated (Improved)

Reminds me of specializations in skills from older editions of Shadowrun. Cool idea

7 minutes ago, ESP77 said:

Reminds me of specializations in skills from older editions of Shadowrun. Cool idea

Feel free to spruce them up so they're at the quality necessary for inclusion. They're equally flavorful and useful, and also help to decrease skill number bloat. I love the more "niche" low level talents that really help define a character.

This list is awesome. Some things that caught my eye:

Full Stop is redundant I think, since the normal decelerate maneuver from the Genesys Core does the same thing.

Deflection: The talent is based off of Reflect, but there is no Reflect talent in that list (as far as I have seen). Might be a typo and should read Parry.

Hollistic Navigation: Talent says Astrogation, instead of Astrocartography(?).

1 hour ago, Klort said:

This list is awesome. Some things that caught my eye:

Full Stop is redundant I think, since the normal decelerate maneuver from the Genesys Core does the same thing.

Deflection: The talent is based off of Reflect, but there is no Reflect talent in that list (as far as I have seen). Might be a typo and should read Parry.

Hollistic Navigation: Talent says Astrogation, instead of Astrocartography(?).

Thanks. This is very helpful!

Is it just me, or is Call'em a tad powerful for Tier 1.

Why is Intuitive Casting not ranked, as Quick Strike is, I wonder.

1 minute ago, TheSapient said:

Thanks. This is very helpful!

Deflection is obviously Djem So from the Shien Expert, So Reflect is the missing talent

7 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

Deflection is obviously Djem So from the Shien Expert, So Reflect is the missing talent

It isn't obvious at all. It is cleverly disguised by some very brilliant people. :|

Flash of Insight: This talent doesn't make sense. It says it adds 2 boost, but to what?

Familiar: Not too keen on it being a tier 2 talent but having a prerequisite of a rank 3 talent. Personally, I'd just make it its own thing or raise it to rank 4.

Not a fan of having Spur/Spur (Improved) and Full Throttle/Full Throttle (Improved) in the same tier.

6 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

Flash of Insight: This talent doesn't make sense. It says it adds 2 boost, but to what?

Familiar: Not too keen on it being a tier 2 talent but having a prerequisite of a rank 3 talent. Personally, I'd just make it its own thing or raise it to rank 4.

Not a fan of having Spur/Spur (Improved) and Full Throttle/Full Throttle (Improved) in the same tier.

All good points thanks! After staring at talents for two weeks it’s amazing what you miss.

Just now, ESP77 said:

All good points thanks! After staring at talents for two weeks it’s amazing what you miss.

I just don't see the point of having improved version of talents in the same tier. Saw that with Unrelenting Skeptic/Improved as well.