What heros are you playing thru the app with?

By jconway2002, in Legends of the Alliance

I played one normal campaign with Jyn, MHD-19, Mak, and Murne. Murne wasn't quite that powerful in the app, MHD-19 surely helped keep the white-die heroes healthy by picking up medical cards.

• Jyn : Quick as a Whip, Cheap Shot, Gunslinger, Get Cocky, DH-17, DL-44 w/ Tactical Display and Overcharger, Reinforced Helmet, Combat Coat, Personal Shield
  • MHD-19: Bacta Injector, Fuel Injection, Miracle Worker, Bacta Radiator, Combat Knife, Portable Medkit, Slicing Tools, DXR-6
  • Mak: Disengage, Jeswandi Training, Execute, No Escape, A280 w/ Marksman Barrel and Disruption Cell, Survival Gear
  • Murne: Sonic Bellow, Professional Aide, Solidarity, Lead from the Front, 434 "Deathhammer" w/ Spread Barrel, Laminate Armor

Ended the finale with a win, and MHD-19 4/4 8/12, Jyn 1/4 5/12, Murne 4/4 13/15, Mak 3/4 0/12 wounded.

How did you play Mourne? Controlled troopers just used deployment cards and followed all the normal rules or just mandatory effects with app surge priority and bonus skills?

Murne didn't do anything special, mostly using Professional Aide to give out surges and attack with Lead from the Front. False Orders really didn't come to play.

Pretty much according to the normal app rules. Maybe an extra Squad Training somewhere, but the bonuses make up for the lack of it.

Loku, Shyla, Verena, Gideon

I liked Verena a lot she is great with a short ranged weapon like Hand Cannon, Deathhammer or Disruptor Pistol.
Loku is ok but there're things I didn't like. Accuracy boost is great you can get a Valken + Disruption Cells and roll 2R+1B with 4 min accuracy.
Shyla with Sword Dance + All-Out Attack and Vibrogenerator can make a 1 die attack with Sword Dance lethal (in example 1 red die -3 surges + 3 damages)
Gideon with Masterstroke and Mobile Tactician is an evergreen

Edited by Golan Trevize
3 hours ago, Golan Trevize said:

Gideon with Masterstroke and Mobile Tactician is an evergreen

Since Masterstroke is only available for the finale, how did Gideon fare without it?

Just finished my 2nd solo campaign with

Ko-tun - Inch-by-Inch; Dig In; Opportunist; Squad Cohesion // Pulse Cannon+Spread Barrel, Concussion Grenades, R5 Agromech, Slicing Tools, Rebel Recon

Loku - Scouting Report; Spectrum Scanner; Study of Enemies; Mon Cal Special Forces // Valken-38 Carbine+Charged Ammo Pack, Responsive Armor, Adrenal Implant

Drokkatta - Leave Noone Behind; Thermal Explosives // Repeater Cannon+Shrapnel Rounds+Tactical Display, Laminate Armor, Combat Visor

Davith - Covert Operative; Blindside; Embody the Force // Shrouded Lightsaber+Weighted Head+Energized Hilt, Shadowsilk Cloak, Hidden Blade.

Drokkatta was amazing as soon as she got her Repeater Cannon attached with Shrapnel Rounds, which was surprisingly effective. She was able to easily murder whole groups of stormtroopers with Blast 2 attacks + Demolish, and triggering that double surge on the Repeater with Drokkatta's ability and later Tac Display was a ton of damage flying around the board. I'm honestly not sure yet if I think Drokkatta or Fenn are stronger, but I know that Drokkatta is a lot more interesting to play.

Ko-Tun was the glue that allowed Davith and Loku to actually contribute to the fight. Dig In saved multiple heroes in each mission from getting wounded and Inch+Opportunist had her zipping around the board nabbing crates, drawing tons of supply cards and finishing off enemies with her power tokens. I really liked her and I'm excited to use her in my upcoming Heart of the Empire campaign.

Loku was constantly disappointing, at first I tried to make him a sniper with Sniper's Scope on an A280, but the maps were just too cramped and bad guys all over the place. His Recon tokens comboed well with Ko-Tun's power tokens, but all his abilities proved to be very underwhelming compared to when I used him in the Hoth campaign. I think Loku needs the spacious maps from the Hoth campaign to really shine.

Davith was mixed, and I think was mainly hurt by the fact that he was the only melee hero and I saw very few good melee upgrades. Weighted Head appeared as a mod 3 times in a row and the only weapons I saw were Gaffi stick, Vibro Knucklers and then Force Pike after Davith had gotten his Lightsaber. I actually cheated in the last round because I got 3 ranged mods and no melee mods, so I randomly drew a melee mod from my cards and replaced the stupid Marksman Barrel with it which ended up being the Energized Hilt. The Lightsaber was as mediocre as I thought it would be, as even though it had amazing surge abilities Davith has to keep spending his bonus surges on remaining hidden, an annoying design aspect of his hero. I should have skipped the 3xp slot and gotten Falling Leaf and the Force Pike in retrospect, but I'm glad I finally got to confirm my suspicions about the Lightsaber and my misgivings about Davith's Cloak and Dagger ability being redundant.

Davith was also the only hero that didn't survive the finale, he had been wounded by the Royal Guard Champion (but was able to take his revenge) and then was taken out by Vader in the 2nd half, concluding Order 66.

On 12/15/2017 at 8:28 PM, Tvboy said:

Since Masterstroke is only available for the finale, how did Gideon fare without it?

On 12/12/2017 at 10:44 PM, jconway2002 said:

Is Gideon still a powerful hero in a 2 hero campaign, of does he really need there to be 4 heros to be effective?

He isn't as effective as in classic campaign although ability to attack and stun early game is quite nice. His ability to let someone recover 2 strain is much more powerful in app campaign. Also +1 surge per round is great. Overall he's not Gideon as we know him but still a good hero.

I used him with 4 heroes and I would never take him on board with 2 heroes. Reason is that he can get closer to his max efficiency when he has someone to support and 3 heroes are 3 times better than 1 in these terms. But let's do the math just for the sake of it. Consider Gideon without Masterstroke, if you take Called Shot, Rallying Shout and Mobile Tactician you can do something like:

ROUND A
1 Command
2 Movement points
1 Action
2 Strain recovered (to another hero)
1 Surge given

ROUND B
1 Command
2 Movement points
1 Rest (Gideon has to rest so that he can self-sustain himself and start again from round A)
1 Surge given

Overall, those 2 commands are equivalent to 2 actions. Plus 4 movement points are equivalent to 1 action. 4 strains recovered are equivalent to a rest so it's 1 more action. Then you have 1 free action in round A and 2 surges given to another hero that we can consider equivalent to 2 strain recovered so let's say half a rest, hence equivalent to half action. A total of 5.5 "equivalent" actions in 2 activations. He's almost like 1.5 "equivalent" heroes.

Adding Masterstroke:

ROUND A
1 Command
1 Masterstroke
4 Movement points
1 Action
1 Surge given

ROUND B
1 Command
1 Masterstroke
4 Movement points
1 Rest (Gideon has to rest so that he can self-sustain himself and start again from round A)
1 Surge given

For a total of 8.5 equivalent actions in 2 activations... 2 heroes in one.

I gave him Cybernetic Arm so he had 6 Endurance and I could ideally set him up like this:

ROUND A
1 Command
1 Masterstroke
4 Movement points
1 Command
2 Movement points
1 Surge given

ROUND B
1 Command
1 Masterstroke
4 Movement points
1 Surge given

Equivalent actions: 9 (2.25 equivalent heroes)

So although end game he can do 2 times the job of a hero he needs other heroes that do the job for him. Without his pals he can do just 2 actions per activation with the downside of having no decent XP cards for being a damage dealer. So take him only if you have 4 heroes.

Edited by Golan Trevize
Typos

Ooh, I haven't seen Cybernetic Arm yet but I bet it's good in the app campaign where the AI is too dumb to immediately target the Cyborg hero and take away their bonus endurance by wounding them.

I just finished the first mission of an actual co-op campaign with another player and using Jarrod and Shyla and he's using Murne and Verena. An interesting effect of having the app mix up all the tiers together is that I got Gaffi Stick and Vibrogenerator in the same Armory together. Normally I would never touch either of these items, but because I was able to see them together, I now have a weapon that rolls Red/Yellow and has a passive Pierce1/+2 damage bonus for 550 credits, which is pretty sweet. Combined with the Pierce 1 from J4X, Jarrod can now easily take out Probe Droids and E-Webs in a single attack.

2 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

Ooh, I haven't seen Cybernetic Arm yet but I bet it's good in the app campaign where the AI is too dumb to immediately target the Cyborg hero and take away their bonus endurance by wounding them.

I just finished the first mission of an actual co-op campaign with another player and using Jarrod and Shyla and he's using Murne and Verena. An interesting effect of having the app mix up all the tiers together is that I got Gaffi Stick and Vibrogenerator in the same Armory together. Normally I would never touch either of these items, but because I was able to see them together, I now have a weapon that rolls Red/Yellow and has a passive Pierce1/+2 damage bonus for 550 credits, which is pretty sweet. Combined with the Pierce 1 from J4X, Jarrod can now easily take out Probe Droids and E-Webs in a single attack.

If you look at the amazing thread of @Rythbryt :

You'll see that Gaffi Stick with Vibrogenerator is a monster compared to low tier-ed weapons and considering the cost of the package.

6 minutes ago, Golan Trevize said:

You'll see that Gaffi Stick with Vibrogenerator is a monster compared to low tier-ed weapons and considering the cost of the package.

Yeah, it only took me a few moments of seeing the cards next to eachother to realize there was a combo there. But in a real campaign, Vibrogenerator is Tier III and Gaffi is Tier I so you would never see these weapons together and would have access to much higher Tier Equipment at that point. This is a pretty app specific combo which I think is cool.

15 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

Yeah, it only took me a few moments of seeing the cards next to eachother to realize there was a combo there. But in a real campaign, Vibrogenerator is Tier III and Gaffi is Tier I so you would never see these weapons together and would have access to much higher Tier Equipment at that point. This is a pretty app specific combo which I think is cool.

Vibrogenerator is good, but actually it's good on any weapon. What makes the Gaffi Stick good is that 1 Pierce. I couldn't believe how that 1 pierce is good without doing the math. Same reason why I like the Deathhammer with Plasma Cell. It's Red+Blu with 1 Damage and 1 Pierce.

I managed to put my hands on a Disruptor Pistol and Tactical Display and I gave it to Verena. You can imagine how good this combo can be with Point Blank Shot... At reach/melee range is Red-Red + 1 surge for 3 damage + 1 pierce!

Edited by Golan Trevize
On 16/12/2017 at 8:02 AM, Tvboy said:

It came up in my first campaign and Dalia got it which proved to be very powerful, and she did not get any extra attention.

Just started our first campaign. My comrade is a bit visually impaired, so we went with one hero each for a two hero campaign with Jyn and Gaarkhan. So far, so good.

Hi all,

I am very excited to try the app tonight. I am going to use two heroes, base set only.
I am not particularly good at this type of game (Descent app has humbled me after initially falling in love with the tutorial.) I have fared better with Mansions of Madness, but that is a far different beast as it really is not tactical.

Any suggestions for me as to which two characters to use, or any I should not even consider? I do not want to steamroll the imperials, but also want a fighting chance to succeed on a few missions.

Thank you!

On 12/13/2017 at 8:16 AM, Conviction said:

I have several campaigns thus far, none beyond Mission 2. The one I'm the most excited about is Hard Mode:

Jyn, Gideon, Mak, Shyla

Jyn and Mak are the ranged damage dealers while Shyla is going to play our tank and Gideon the support player.

Mission 1 spoiler:

Both Jyn and Gideon were Withdrawn mission 1 and Mak was Wounded. That is probably because we ignored Stormtroopers and tried to kill Vader, even though it says you can't defeat him, it still has the DEFEAT button by his portrait in the app and we were curious! Plus thematically we felt our heroes were brave enough to try and kill the Dark Lord if they had the chance. Well, when you click DEFEAT it simply says "cannot be defeated", we thought maybe we would wound him or something. Oh well! Mission 2 looks to be tough. We are pretty squishy with the highest HP player being 12hp.

Are you doing it that way just to see how it plays differently with different heroes?

On 12/14/2017 at 10:14 AM, Uninvited Guest said:

I'm running MHD, Diala, Vinto, and Loku. I was midway though the first mission and realized how awful my strength tests are. I'm great on insight and tech though.

Speaking from the original (non-app) campaign format perspective it would very much depend on his teammate. With the app it might be too soon to say.

Yeah I randomly picked my team and ended up with 3 characters with high insight and almost no other test abilities - made it very hard for wrench tests - Biv, Diala, Davith, and Loku.

6 hours ago, adamjf1 said:

Yeah I randomly picked my team and ended up with 3 characters with high insight and almost no other test abilities - made it very hard for wrench tests - Biv, Diala, Davith, and Loku.

This is something I wanted to mention. The app let's you perform more tests than the original campaign. So you should try to balance this. But at least you had Diala who should give you the rerolls (and an additional blue dice) with Force adept (during missions and encounters).

On 2/15/2018 at 9:36 AM, adamjf1 said:

Are you doing it that way just to see how it plays differently with different heroes?

No, I have a bunch of friends and my kids to play with. Although we haven't come back to the campaign in awhile. Been enjoying Eldritch Horror a lot lately. :)

We play as a 4-player group

Shyla, Murne, Vinto, Drokatta

We play on hard difficulty, and we have won the first 4 missions. We are about to play the finale. Mission 4 we barely won, we had 3 heroes become wounded.

Garkhaan, Drokatta, Verena and Jarod.

On the easier difficulty, we won every mission, including finale

My two daughters play Vinto and Murne, I'm playing Gideon. So I don't need equipment and make them shoot more. Lots of fun.

I just started the app campaign yesterday. I'm using Biv, Fenn, Jyn and Diala. I had a blast with the first mission, especially when Diala avoid Vader's brutality with some white dice railroad crossing love. Biv was "withdrawn" bleeding out and defending the others as they fell back into the base, shielded by Rebel Fleet troopers.

Murne in the app is really useful.

Having Waylay is great since the app gives you allies, and False Order is a great choice after the second mission

Started a new play through with a friend who hasn't played it yet. He's taking Davith and I'm taking Onar. We got through the first mission "unwounded" on normal difficulty.

My gf and I are playing with (her=) Onar & Mak + (me=) Jyn & Diala :)