comparison to IA app - simple functionalities that we need

By Slanesh, in Road to Legend

Just checked IA app and they have 2 simple features that made me super mad that d2e doesn't have:

-save&exit

-restart current mission

Tbh exit without saving should be there too but this can be done by killing the app process.

At current stage in d2e if you defeat a boss by misclicking or not understanding his ability or something and end turn then your whole campaign is ruined. Unless I'm missin something

You aren't missing anything. It has been something many of us have asked for, including direct e-mails to FFG support, forever.

- Feature to allow you to SAVE whenever the *&^% you want to

- Feature to allow you to UNDO whenever the *&^% you want to

Some have expressed concern that if some of these features were built in, then users could choose to "game the system" and win inappropriately. Who cares? If they need to win badly enough to do that, let them. How does that possibly negate the need for these features when honest mistakes are made?

I never understood this defense for not having the features. To be honest, it doesn't surprise me that IA has some of them. One ... FFG apparently can learn from their mistakes. Two ... Star Wars crap has far, far more visibility, and they probably didn't want all of these complaints going viral ...

EDIT: Normally, I would say something along the lines of ... the app for D2e has been out long enough that FFG could have addressed the issues and added these features ..., but it is readily apparent that they do not care about this product anymore, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to occur ...

Edited by any2cards

I like your comment. I dislike that it's true.

Yeah it's a sad situation.

I finally was about to start my first 4 player RtL campaign this tuesday (which took months of pre planning to arrange). Recently I got the last physical releases and after many months RtL was finally release in our language. And now the first thing one of the group says is: "Let's play Imperial Assault instead".

If only FFG still cared for D2, but everything has to be Star Wars nowadays :(

1 hour ago, DerDelphi said:

Yeah it's a sad situation.

I finally was about to start my first 4 player RtL campaign this tuesday (which took months of pre planning to arrange). Recently I got the last physical releases and after many months RtL was finally release in our language. And now the first thing one of the group says is: "Let's play Imperial Assault instead".

If only FFG still cared for D2, but everything has to be Star Wars nowadays :(

Well your group is anecdotal evidence for why they should only care about Star Wars. They just threw away months of planning and work because of the Star Wars game. Now that IA has it's own app why would a company invest effort into a relatively unknown name when they can put that same work into a Star Wars game that will sell on the name alone?

That's exactly what's frustrating me. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who is not just crazy for anything Star Wars.

But what's worse is, that I can hardly immerse myself in a sci-fi setting. IA appears to be more of a skirmish simulator, which is something I'm not very fond of.

Dungeon crawling in a fantasy setting is by far more enjoyable for me, even if the mechanics of the games are almost identical.

5 hours ago, DerDelphi said:

That's exactly what's frustrating me. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who is not just crazy for anything Star Wars.

But what's worse is, that I can hardly immerse myself in a sci-fi setting. IA appears to be more of a skirmish simulator, which is something I'm not very fond of.

Dungeon crawling in a fantasy setting is by far more enjoyable for me, even if the mechanics of the games are almost identical.

I feel you, but at the same time I know people that won't play a fantasy game purely because of the fantasy aesthetic. I've been told medieval fantasy is for kids, like cartoons.

Often the "skin" of the game matters way more than the gameplay.

Chalk me up as someone who has never been particularly interested in the Star Wars theme.

Fantasy is infinitely more fun and immersive to me, hence why I never bought IA and only play it when visiting friends.

Meanwhile I would buy anything and everything Descent-related.

Edited by Charmy

I am hugely into Star Wars and I would probably put my neck on the block and say I prefer Sci Fi over fantasy, however dungeon crawlers should be elves and dwarfs and zombies and for this reason I have never bought IA (the only FFG star wars game I don't play) and purely focused on D2E. I can't be the only person in this group, and that why I don't see the demand for D2E falling off anytime soon. Everything is always hard to find here in the UK, so it's still selling. Even new games like Gloomhaven are constantly being compared to D2E as the golden standard of dungeon crawlers, so the game is still highly regarded by critics and gamers alike. On that basis, it doesn't seem sensible for FFG to drop or turn a blind eye on descent.

I, for one, am still hopeful of future support for this game.

Recently bought into D2e and am pretty disappointed about the limited number of campaigns on Rtl. Rtl was why I got the game as we wanted full coop but we'll soon be through all the content.

Kind of thought the quests that come with the expansions would all be available on Rtl, not just SoN which I can't get. Do hope this happens!

The only SW product that I've been into is Star Wars Armada and, to a lesser extent, X-Wing. Imperial Assault never really appealed to me but I can see how it would be more popular to the general masses than D2E. I just grew up on AD&D, Fighting Fantasy books, etc as a kid, so while I love sci-fi, fantasy themed dungeon crawling appeals to me quite a bit more. Now, Legion seems like how Star Wars skirmishes should be done!

I just got into D2E actually (like two weeks ago) because of RtL and bought as much of the expansions/lieutenants that I could find. It is unfortunate that you can't play the core set campaign (Heirs of Blood) or any of the quests for the expansions, except SoN. Maybe since they did SoN, which has always been reviewed quite favourably, they'll eventually do the other campaigns. If and when FFG decide that they aren't going to enhance or release more campaigns for D2E via RtL, they should really consider open sourcing the PC build of the software on Steam - allow the community to flesh out the missing campaigns.

Edited by Digitalfiends

The Nerekhall campaign in RtL "Seeds of Corruption" is not a conversion of the physical Nerekhall campaign that comes with the expansion. They are completely different.

By the way, the Valkyrie software supports custom fan-made RtL campaigns. Check this thread for an older conversion project:

I didn't realize that the SoN campaign in RtL wasn't the same...hmm (I don't have that physical expansion yet).

...and that community project! Thanks for the link and the work you've done to get something like this together. I'm a developer myself (enterprise apps, not games unfortunately) so this has got me all excited to dig into things. Maybe I can even contribute something. :)