Battletech Genesys

By gilbur, in Genesys

I have always Loved Battletech when it was introduced a long time ago. I think I have figured out the randomness of the Missiles in the Game and here it goes.

Add a boost die when rolling your Dice for Success or you can do it seperately:

SRM-2: anything but a blank on the boost die will allow 2 missiles being fired.

SRM-4: 1 advantage-2 missiles fired, 2 Advantages- 3 missiles fired, anything with the 1 success- 4 missiles fired

SRM-6: 1 Adv- 3 missiles fired, 2 Advantages- 4 missiles fired, 1 Success-5 missiles fired, 1 adv/success- 6 missiles fired.

LRM-5: 1 Adv-2 missiles fired, 2 Advantages-3 missiles fired, 1 Success- 4 missiles fired, 1adv/success- 5 missiles fired

LRM-10: 1 Adv- 4 missiles fired, 2 Advantages-6 missiles fired, 1 Success-8 missiles fired, 1 adv/success- 10 missiles fired

LRM-15: 1 Adv-6 missiles fired, 2 Advantages-9 missiles fired, 1 success- 12 missiles fired, 1 adv/success- 15 missiles fired

LRM-20: 1 Adv-9 missiles fired, 2 advantages-12 missiles fired, 1 success-16 missiles fired, 1 adv/success-20 missiles fired

This can also be used with the MML and MRM as I was looking at the randomness of the missile chart there was four different levels just put the advantages and successes or the right spot and you have the chart converted over the the Edge or Genesys system. What does everyone think of the conversion?

I have fond memories of Macross, anyther Battletechish mech series with billions of missiles. =)

Battletech is definitely on my list of settings to try to convert to Genesys. I'm trying to come up with a way to make weapons firing more abstract, and not require a roll for every weapon system you might want to fire.

One thing i would consider is using Linked. It's an already built in system that handles when a volley of weapons are fired. The more advantage rolled, the more missiles that hit the target.

Now to try and figure out a reasonable damage location system...

2 hours ago, DarthGM said:

What if each Mech were to build their own custom "Critical Hit" deck.... and use that for the "damage location".

You could make up a bunch of generic criticals like "damaged gyroscope", "ruptured heat sinks", etc.

But than each weapon system you have equipped would be added to the mechs "crit deck".... and you randomly pull from it on each crit taken?

I don't think one would be needed for each mech; but a Mech specific critical hit table would work. Then if a weapon gets hit, it's simply randomly determined.

Ammo explosions will be...tricky...

Edited by DarthGM

Ammo explosions would be what ever is left for your reloads. Now critical locations would be the same on all mechs they all need gyroscopes to stabilize, that is why there is only one critical location chart unless you have top half from being in water but i will look into this stuff as i would like to see a battletech conversion which i would like to do as this helps in my game world with mechs and other stuff.

On 11/26/2017 at 8:42 AM, DarthGM said:

Battletech is definitely on my list of settings to try to convert to Genesys. I'm trying to come up with a way to make weapons firing more abstract, and not require a roll for every weapon system you might want to fire.

One thing i would consider is using Linked. It's an already built in system that handles when a volley of weapons are fired. The more advantage rolled, the more missiles that hit the target.

Maybe instead of using linked, adjust how you build mechs. Each mech has a Short Range Weapon System and Long Range Weapon System. Narratively the short range system could be 2 MG's and an SRM-6, and the long range system is 2 PPCs. Create a combined weapon attack profile at the range you want, and narratively describe the carnage. If you allow player builds, you may need to come up with some rules for the SRM 6 is base 6 damage, adding an MG adds 1 damage. PPC is 10 damage, adding a 2nd adds 3 damage.

It would be epic, no doubt. But a lot of time and effort stating up all those mech chassis and weapons. And the only guidelines for vehicle creation we have....are essentially from Star Wars books.

I'd really like to see a complete rework of Battletech to make it much faster without losing too much of the detail and feel for the setting. While a fun game, it has always suffered due to the high level of detail possible in the rules. It was just daunting for new players to keep all the different adjustments sorted as they are trying to decide what to do.

Working on starting some writes up soon with light mechs and maybe some medium mechs that are silhouette 3, going to go by silhouette

after looking over the Critical Hits on the sheet, you could always see about additional Advantages or even triumphs as I know I will most likely stay with the Star Wars Dice for my game since I have 7 sets and the players have at least one set each. As looking over the Boost, Ability, and Proficiency dice, I was also thinking maybe using Left and Right arm, Left and Right Torso, and the Left and Right Leg then for Center Torso and Head, you could pump more advantages or triumphs into your successes for your Critical Hits on the Chart...

Edited by gilbur
forgot word

thinking maybe there should be multiple talent charts for a rookie mechwarrior and then the veteran Mechwarrior, where the rookie could throw a punch while an experienced Mechwarrior could do like a death from above. I just don't think a rookie could pull off a Death from above at the start. What does everyone else think?

Can't you just make the veteran stuff higher level?

52 minutes ago, gilbur said:

thinking maybe there should be multiple talent charts for a rookie mechwarrior and then the veteran Mechwarrior, where the rookie could throw a punch while an experienced Mechwarrior could do like a death from above. I just don't think a rookie could pull off a Death from above at the start. What does everyone else think?

DFA should be a Daunting or Formidable skill check, and there can then be a Tier 4 or higher talent that reduces the difficulty by one.

Make a special ability with additional features to decrease the difficulty and other features maybe work on that later. This would be like the force powers or class special ability only accessable after buying certain talents.

Just ordered my book, I guess I will be taking a road trip Saturday to pick up from Miniature Market, so I can look over the Tool kit finally...

There is another idea i was thinking is maybe a couple of talent charts for mechs that would allow mechs to do special things as well. What does everyone think?

Why separate talent charts?

Why not just "talents". Genesys uses a pyramid structure to talent selection; there are no separate talent trees in Genesys. You can take whatever talent you want (as long as you have the talents under it to support it).

Alright, now can officially get into my conversions fully since I have the book now and was only to skim over the book since I was running my Star Wars game. Should start to get some great ideas and posting soon.

Here goes an actual start on converting Battletech to Genesys Skills:

Acrobatics would be Athletics

Acting can be Skulduggery

Administration could be a knowledge skill

Appraisal could be a knowledge skill

Archery would be Ranged weapon

Art could be a knowledge skill

Artillery is Gunnery

Climbing is Athletics

Communications is Computers

Computers is Computers

Cryptography is Computers

Disguise is Skulduggery

Driving is Driving

Escape Artist is Skulduggery

Forgery is Skulduggery

Gunnery is Gunnery

Interest is Knowledge

Interrogation is Skulduggery

Investigation is knowledge or Computers

Leadership is Leadership

Martial Arts is Brawl

Medtech is Medicine

Melee Weapons is Melee

Navigation is Astrocartography

Negotiation is Negotiation

Perception is Perception

Piloting is Piloting

Prestidigitation is Skulduggery

Protocol could a knowledge skill

Running is Athletics

Science could be skill or knowledge skill

Security System is computers

Sensor Operations is computers

Small Arms is Ranged weapons skills

Stealth is Stealth

Strategy is knowledge skill

Streetwise is Streetwise

Support Weapons is ranged or Gunnery

Surgery is a Talent

Survival is Survival

Swimming is Athletics

Tactics is Knowledge

Technician is a class as the Star Wars Technicians could be used

Thrown Weapons is Ranged or Melee

Tracking is Survival

Training could be a knowledge skill or omitted

Zero-G Operations is Athletics

Here goes the first Conversion and what does everyone think?

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, DarthGM said:

Barrages. List weapons that can fire in 'groups' (say "all your lasers", and fire them as if they were a minion group, with additional weapons 'assisting' the first roll by increasing your effective skill rank), just as if it was a capital ship in Age of Rebellion firing its various armaments.

19 hours ago, gilbur said:

Acrobatics would be Athletics

Acting can be Skulduggery

Appraisal could be a knowledge skill

Interrogation is Skulduggery

Science could be skill or knowledge skill

Security System is computers

Technician is a class as the Star Wars Technicians could be used

Thrown Weapons is Ranged or Melee

Deducing from Star Wars I'd say

Acrobatics is Coordination,

Acting is more like Deception,

Appraisal is part of Negotiation/Streetwise when buying/selling,

Interrogation is Coercion,

Science is part of Mechanics, so is Technician,

Security Systems is part Skulduggery/Computers,

Thrown is Ranged Light.

Here are some additional things that can be installed on the Battlemechs, They can be called qualities for the Mechs, look them over and let me know what you think of them:

Active Probe: This would grant Boost dice to find hidden Mechs.

Anti-Missile System: This would grant Setback dice for attacking with Missile systems like the (LRM, SRM, and other systems).

C3/C3I Computer: System allows multiple Mechs to coordinate with other Mechs and I would say gives other Mechs to a bonus 1 success and 2 advantages

ECM Suite: Would grant Setback dice for Sensor Checks.

MASC: Allows Mech to Move at 4 or 5 and grants 1 failure and 2 disadvantages for attack roll as mech is moving faster than usual.

Jumpjets: Grants Pilot the Jump Manuever for Mech and when being attacked grants 1 failure and 2 disadvantages on the Attack roll.

Targeting Computer: grants 2 advantages on your attack roll.

Look this over and let me know what everyone thinks...

Here goes my first attempt to convert Battlemechs over to GENESYS. Always look forward to see what everyone thinks and how you would do it or change.

GRF-1N Griffin 55 tons (Medium)

Silhoette: 3 Max Speed: 3 Defense: 0 Armor: 3

Handling: 0 HT Threshold: 99 SS Threshold: 45

Control Skill: Piloting/Mech

Complement: 1 Pilot

Passengers: 0

Emcumbrance Capacity: 10 (Personal Gear)

Price/Rarity:4,864,107 credits/4

Weapons: PPC (Forward Firing Arc; Damage: 10; Critical: 3; Range: Extreme) Note: When Firing at Short Range, Upgrade up to 2 difficulty Dice as this weapon is not made for firing at Short Range.

LRM-10 (Forward Firing Arc; Damage: 5; Critical: 3; Range: Long) Note: (3) Advantages to Add Additional Missiles Fired.

WHM-6L Warhammer 70 tons (Heavy)

Silhoette: 5 Max Speed: 3 Defense: 1 Armor: 3

Handling: -1 HT Threshold: 100 SS Threshold: 50

Control Skill: Piloting/Mech

Complement: 1 Pilot

Passengers: 0

Emcumbrance Capacity: 10 (Personal Gear)

Price/Rarity: 6,031,884/5

Weapons:

(2) PPC: (Forward Firing Arc; Damage: 10; Critical: 3; Range: Extreme)

*If Firing at Short Range, upgrade 2 difficulty dice for firing at Short Range.

**This is Linked**

(2) Medium Lasers (Forward Firing Arc; Damage: 5; Critical: 2; Range: Long) (Linked)

(2) Small Lasers (Forward Firing Arc; Damage: 3; Critical: 2; Range: Medium) (linked)

(2) Flamer (Forward Firing Arc; Damage: 1; Critical: 2; Range: Close) (Linked)

SRM-6 (Forward Firing Arc; Damage: 4; Critical: 2; Range: Medium) (Limited Ammo)

**Can use (2) advantages to active 2 missiles up to maximum of 6 missiles per Round**

Look them over and let me know what you think of these conversions,

On ‎05‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 0:59 AM, gilbur said:

Here are some additional things that can be installed on the Battlemechs, They can be called qualities for the Mechs, look them over and let me know what you think of them:

Active Probe: This would grant Boost dice to find hidden Mechs.

Anti-Missile System: This would grant Setback dice for attacking with Missile systems like the (LRM, SRM, and other systems).

C3/C3I Computer: System allows multiple Mechs to coordinate with other Mechs and I would say gives other Mechs to a bonus 1 success and 2 advantages

ECM Suite: Would grant Setback dice for Sensor Checks.

MASC: Allows Mech to Move at 4 or 5 and grants 1 failure and 2 disadvantages for attack roll as mech is moving faster than usual.

Jumpjets: Grants Pilot the Jump Manuever for Mech and when being attacked grants 1 failure and 2 disadvantages on the Attack roll.

Targeting Computer: grants 2 advantages on your attack roll.

Look this over and let me know what everyone thinks...

Why not the ECM and Targeting Array from Star Wars? There's no need to reinvent the wheel, is there?

C3: Extra success/2 advantages is quite powerful; how about the Togruta's Pack Instinct and/or upgrading leadership when using formations (AoR GM Kit).

All things considered, I do not quite like the set success/failure, advantage/threat modifications; I prefer boost/setback, for what it's worth.