For the experient people

By gmcc, in General Discussion

I still didnt decided what game should i pick ( arkham or eldritch ) . I can get both at the same price ( 40$) but not sure what's the best so here i go with some new things ?
- what is more enjoyable ?
- what is more realistic ?
- what can have more expansions coming ?
- what you guys prefered the most

PS: i'm new in this forum so i will post in both pages, since i dont know what have more views per day or more love.

Edited by gmcc
5 minutes ago, gmcc said:

I still didnt decided what game should i pick. I can get both (...)

I suppose one of these games is Eldritch Horror. Do you mind telling us what other game are you considering?

1 minute ago, tsuma534 said:

I suppose one of these games is Eldritch Horror. Do you mind telling us what other game are you considering?

Oh my bad. Yes it's between arkham and eldritch.

11 hours ago, gmcc said:

Oh my bad. Yes it's between arkham and eldritch.

There's no simple right answer, and you're not going to get much clarity here. In the Arkham board, people are going to tell you Arkham is better. In this board, people will tell you Eldritch is better (including myself... because, well... it IS better. ;) ).

My advice? If you have a game store in your area where you can try out games, do so... try both and pick one. More realistically, though... jump on YouTube and watch a playthrough or two of each... there are some great content creators out there who play both games a LOT (CatWeazle, Doug Herring, Paul Darcy, and TragictheBlathering are all ones I've watched). Watching the games actually played might give you a better idea of which you'd like more.

Going back to your questions, only one of them can really be answered objectively... the one about expansions. Arkham is done. Period. There will be no more expansions. Eldritch has another "big box" expansion coming in Q1, which may be its last (although the smirk I got from Nikki when I asked her at Arkham Nights if EH was done suggests otherwise). After that it'll be a tie... 4 "big box" and 4 "small box" expansions for each (with more possibly to come for EH).

Edited by KBlumhardt
On 11/22/2017 at 4:20 PM, gmcc said:

I still didnt decided what game should i pick ( arkham or eldritch ) (...)

This one's easy.
The latest expansion for Arkham was released in 2011 and most likely we won't get another.
Eldritch will get another expansion next year and at that point both games will have the same number of expansions.
After that, Eldritch is quite likely to get more expansions, but the 2018 one has some cues that make me think it may be the last one.

This one's purely subjective, both games have a lot of fans.
If you tell us about some other games that you like and dislike (and why) I could make an educated guess which one of those two would be more likely to entertain you.

In my opinion both games have an almost identical level of realism. I think that flavor is off more often in Eldritch, Arkham gets it a bit better.

I still didnt decided what game should i pick ( arkham or eldritch ) . (...)

At least here I can give a definitive answer. I loved Arkham Horror. But when Eldritch Horror was released the days of AH were over.
For me Eldritch is a direct sequel. The designers have looked at all the mistakes made with Arkham and learned from those.
Eldritch has it's own share of mistakes but it comes nowhere near to the amount of ambiguities and exceptions the AH features.

To sum it up, while I think AH is a bit better thematically, EH is far superior mechanically. Unless you have an excellent memory and bookkeeping skills, I would recommend Eldritch.

Edited by tsuma534
12 hours ago, KBlumhardt said:

... jump on YouTube and watch a playthrough or two of each... there are some great content creators out there who play both games a LOT (CatWeazle, Doug Herring, Paul Darcy, and TragictheBlathering are all ones I've watched). Watching the games actually played might give you a better idea of which you'd like more.

YouTube is your best friend in this. Both games play really well, but if you're only looking for one or the other you'll be able to get a feel for play style and mechanics. This is usually my first stop for any board game, be it FFG or not because the back of the box can only do so much to show the game itself and not the way it plays.

I find Eldritch is more streamlined, less to manage. There's no Focus sliders or money tokens.

The Focus sliders is the most annoying part of Arkham for me.

This one is easy. I sold my Arkham Horror game after a few games. Too fiddly, especially when playing solo -- you have to move the monsters on the board, yikes! I bought Eldritch Horror and have bought 3 small box expansions and play it quite regularly.

The streamlining of the rules in Eldritch is the big difference. Even if you have not played eldritch horror in a little while, it's not hard to remember the rules. For Arkham, with all those fiddly mechanics and exceptions, good luck.

hum yeah i see.. as for youtube i did watch videos of them but both look good and different that's why i'm not sure what to get.. im inclined to eldritch horror but i dont know if it's the best or most lovecraftian

4 hours ago, gmcc said:

hum yeah i see.. as for youtube i did watch videos of them but both look good and different that's why i'm not sure what to get.. im inclined to eldritch horror but i dont know if it's the best or most lovecraftian

My opinion (stress opinion) is that Eldritch is the slightly better game, but Arkham feels a bit more Lovecraftian. So... still a bit of a toss-up there. Eldritch is easier to find and still has potential expansions coming, so... go with Eldritch, maybe? :)

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:20 AM, gmcc said:

I still didnt decided what game should i pick ( arkham or eldritch ) . I can get both at the same price ( 40$) but not sure what's the best so here i go with some new things ?

PS: i'm new in this forum so i will post in both pages, since i dont know what have more views per day or more love.

I own both games and most expansions for each. Here are my thoughts on your four questions:

- EH is more enjoyable for me.

- I wouldn't consider either game realistic.

- EH is more likely to have expansions.

- I prefer EH over AH.

I remember some epic games I had with Arkham Horror and good friends. that was so awesome that Arkham have a special place in my geek heart.

Then I tried Eldritch Horror and fell in love. The mechanis are more polished and the flow is just perfect. Each Old One feels a lot more unique than in Arkham Horror thanks to each having it's own unique and thematic deck of events. It's really well thought out.

But both games are great really and it just boils down to what you would prefer between exploring and defending a city (AH) or exploring the world and unveiling the mysteries of the Old One that tries to wake up and F things up (EH).

Edited by SolennelBern

Both are equally unrealistic, but Eldritch Horror is better themed in my opinion. With Ancient One specific Research and Mystery decks fighting Hastur feels more like fighting Hastur in Eldritch Horror.

I second Tsuma's response. I have all expansions for both so far. I haven't played Arkham in a very long time primarily because of table space. If space is a limitation and you are planning on getting all of the expansions, I would say get Eldritch. I really can't say that I enjoy one more than the other. They are simply different.

Once the newest eldritch comes out with personal stories, I may feel differently, but I still prefer the theme of Arkham more. Globe-trotting just doesn't feel right with the quiet suspense building that I associate with the mythos.