I’m trying something new

By YellowJoker, in L5R LCG: Deck Building

i’m playing a crab deck with the splash of scorpion. the cards are 3x seal of scorpion, 3x meek informant, and 3x smoke and mirrors. let me know if this is good or not

Well, it highly depends on the rest of the deck...

But off the top of my head, I'd say this is far from being anything close to a good idea. That's not enough Shinobi to justify playing 3 Smoke and Mirrors.

Edited by Ser Nakata

I like the idea of Crab splashing Scorpion - but I'd try 3x Meek Informant, 3x Backhanded Compliment, and then 3 Calling in Favors.

It's hard to say without knowing the rest of the deck, but lets take a look at what is to be gained from this idea

You get a couple peeks at your opponent's hand, and then you get to do some nifty Smoke and Mirrors tricks, only after you get a seal on your guys. Cute, but, I don't see it winning because you're waiting on a certain sequence of cards and then hoping that your opponent doesn't see it coming. If you do have it out, you're pretty much signaling that a Smoke and Mirrors is coming.

If I were going to try shenanigans that require me to seal up a character before taking advantage of the smoke and mirrors trick, I would likely go with a Dragon main deck since you can dig for the required attachment.

If you are wanting to just play a solid Crab w/Scorpion deck then, there are cards you can splash that make your deck much better overall........instead of cute.

14 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

It's hard to say without knowing the rest of the deck, but lets take a look at what is to be gained from this idea

You get a couple peeks at your opponent's hand, and then you get to do some nifty Smoke and Mirrors tricks, only after you get a seal on your guys. Cute, but, I don't see it winning because you're waiting on a certain sequence of cards and then hoping that your opponent doesn't see it coming. If you do have it out, you're pretty much signaling that a Smoke and Mirrors is coming.

If I were going to try shenanigans that require me to seal up a character before taking advantage of the smoke and mirrors trick, I would likely go with a Dragon main deck since you can dig for the required attachment.

If you are wanting to just play a solid Crab w/Scorpion deck then, there are cards you can splash that make your deck much better overall........instead of cute.

i just likes the idea of making a fake political attack, weakening their hand then go for a full military attack (mostly on the stronghold). and I’m the type of person that makes weird decks for fun.

9 hours ago, Soshi Nimue said:

I like the idea of Crab splashing Scorpion - but I'd try 3x Meek Informant, 3x Backhanded Compliment, and then 3 Calling in Favors.

3x BACKHANDED COMPLIMENT and 3x LEVY has some reasonable dishonor potential. Less than people realize cause you have to still be able to draw into the cards while maintaining the dishonor pressure, but crab do have ways to keep cards flowing pretty well. I have contemplated this deck as well, but it seems to me that it would struggle vs. a lion rush.

Also, I'm not convinced that MEEK INFORMANT is valuable as a card yet. With the card pool so low and a meta with clear favorite cards, you can almost tell what is in a players hand without seeing his hand, based on hand size alone.

As the deck variety increases and the card pool increases MEEK INFORMANT's value will also increase.