Idea for Crime Based PBP based on Nar Shadda

By Rabobankrider, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

That's what I'd recommend. The criminal one would mainly be used to represent the fledgling Empire stomping around, trying to take back some control.

Antagonist would be very similar to what you have now @KungFuFerret . Perhaps, our childhood rival gang still remembers you in particular but doesn’t have a bounty. “Dealing” with our old rival could expand our turf and party name.

Edited by Vergence
11 minutes ago, Vergence said:

Antagonist would be very similar to what you have now @KungFuFerret . Perhaps, our childhood rival gang still remembers you in particular but doesn’t have a bounty. “Dealing” with our old rival could expand our turf and party name.

Oooh, yeah I like that. I'll have to mull it over a bit, but taht sounds doable with still being the same background design.

What book is that one in? Don't see it in the EotE crb

Edited by KungFuFerret
13 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Oooh, yeah I like that. I'll have to mull it over a bit, but taht sounds doable with still being the same background design.

What book is that one in? Don't see it in the EotE crb

Fly Casual

Yeah, definitely going to go with Antagonist, that feels much more like what I was actually aiming for, theme wise. Thanks! :)

Sorry for the delay in posting my swsheet. Thanksgiving has put me through the ringer. Hopefully tomorrow. Likely going to be some sort of either Slicer, Mechanic, or Driver.

Edited by Tweedledope

No worries, like I say, still no massive rush at this stage :)

Is your friend(s) waiting on registration? @Rabobankrider

Yeah, If they're not ready in a couple of days, I'll make a start and they can jump in part way through :)

So a Nautolan Doctor, A Bothan thief, a Vengeful War Veteran and a charmer/possible con-man. I'm sure there's a "Walk into a Cantina" joke to be made here somewhere.

1 hour ago, ExileofEnya said:

So a Nautolan Doctor, A Bothan thief, a Vengeful War Veteran and a charmer/possible con-man. I'm sure there's a "Walk into a Cantina" joke to be made here somewhere.

The owner says "Hey, you all will have to wait outside, we don't serve your kind of cliche's here!"

5 hours ago, KungFuFerret said:

The owner says "Hey, you all will have to wait outside, we don't serve your kind of cliche's here!"

...Guess we're heading to a nightclub, then.

24 minutes ago, satkaz said:

...Guess we're heading to a nightclub, then.

Fine by me, those cantinas always play the same song by that one band. Gets old after a while.

Man, I'm torn between two concepts both of which seem likely to be needed by the group. The first would be the typical "driver" taking the, well, Driver spec via the Ace career (makes more sense than an Explorer). This would be the typical getaway driver for our group. His focus would be on Piloting (Planetary) with ranks in Mechanics as well to tend to the vehicle(s). This character would have a strong ability to get us from place to place as well as a decent Mechanical background.

The second would be a Droid Tech heavily focused on the crafting aspect. This would be the "Toymaker" type who creates minion droid groups to go and do his bidding as well as help craft better gear for the group. He would have a rudimentary ability in Pilot (Planetary) but really have a strong ability to create all sorts of things.

Both would likely end up going Slicer as a second spec since we'll probably need some strong support there, too. The latter would already have a strong Computers skill, whereas the former would not.

Thoughts? I love playing support characters and I like to "fill in the gaps" in groups.

16 minutes ago, Tweedledope said:

Man, I'm torn between two concepts both of which seem likely to be needed by the group. The first would be the typical "driver" taking the, well, Driver spec via the Ace career (makes more sense than an Explorer). This would be the typical getaway driver for our group. His focus would be on Piloting (Planetary) with ranks in Mechanics as well to tend to the vehicle(s). This character would have a strong ability to get us from place to place as well as a decent Mechanical background.

The second would be a Droid Tech heavily focused on the crafting aspect. This would be the "Toymaker" type who creates minion droid groups to go and do his bidding as well as help craft better gear for the group. He would have a rudimentary ability in Pilot (Planetary) but really have a strong ability to create all sorts of things.

Both would likely end up going Slicer as a second spec since we'll probably need some strong support there, too. The latter would already have a strong Computers skill, whereas the former would not.

Thoughts? I love playing support characters and I like to "fill in the gaps" in groups.

Hmm, that will depend if @Rabobankrider is going to put some vehicles or not.

I would think that Droid Tech would be better overall, because we'll definitely need some Mechanics and Computers in the group, while Driver could be situational, since:

-There are Piloting Droid brains that you could stick on a vehicle with no hardpoint cost that can deal with the driving. Failing that, I would assume a Droid Tech can make a droid that can drive, pending GM decision

-Usually, having someone perform the co-pilot / plot course action can reduce the difficulty / setback by 1 so it's easier, and I'm guessing someone is going to do that.

And we do have one more person coming in, so they may wish to be the driver/pilot of the group.

If nothing else, I can also set my character up to pilot/drive, since Sharpshooter gives me mostly what I want in my character concept.

Edited by satkaz
1 minute ago, satkaz said:

Hmm, that will depend if @Rabobankrider is going to put some vehicles or not.

I would think that Droid Tech would be better overall, because we'll definitely need some Mechanics and Computers in the group, while Driver could be situational, since:

-There are Piloting Droid brains that you could stick on a vehicle with no hardpoint cost that can deal with the driving. Failing that, I would assume a Droid Tech can make a droid that can drive, pending GM decision

-Usually, having someone take do the co-pilot / plot course action can reduce the difficulty / setback by 1 so it's easier, and I'm guessing someone is going to do that.

And we do have one more person coming in, so they may wish to be the driver/pilot of the group.

If nothing else, I can also set my character up to pilot/drive, since Sharpshooter gives me mostly what I want in my character concept.

Yeah, I'm leaning the Droid Tech route since he'll still have a decent ability to drive. I just think about all of the typical "gang" movies and how there is always a driver. :D

I assume most of our combat focus party members will have agility 3+ so even if not a career skill, they could pass easy planetary piloting checks. It will become a bigger deal once chases are involved obviously and that driver character will shine. Eventually the party will need a computers/mechanic based character. Mostly for breaking into starships, buildings, etc will be a computers check and all the players will want to upgrade their weapons and armor as time goes on.

A Dug Hired Gun Demolitionist would give you Defensive Driving talent, have planetary piloting, computers, and mechanics as career skills too. Above average driver with the desired computers/mechanic ranks the party needs and adds a new combat aspect the party doesn't have yet too. It really just depends on the talents and character you would have fun roleplaying.

9 minutes ago, Vergence said:

A Dug Hired Gun Demolitionist would give you Defensive Driving talent, have planetary piloting, computers, and mechanics as career skills too. Above average driver with the desired computers/mechanic ranks the party needs and adds a new combat aspect the party doesn't have yet too. It really just depends on the talents and character you would have fun roleplaying.

Funny you mention Dug...I'd already settled on that one.

2 hours ago, Tweedledope said:

Man, I'm torn between two concepts both of which seem likely to be needed by the group. The first would be the typical "driver" taking the, well, Driver spec via the Ace career (makes more sense than an Explorer). This would be the typical getaway driver for our group. His focus would be on Piloting (Planetary) with ranks in Mechanics as well to tend to the vehicle(s). This character would have a strong ability to get us from place to place as well as a decent Mechanical background. Thoughts? I love playing support characters and I like to "fill in the gaps" in groups.

Personally, I don't find pilot type characters fun, but that's just my own preference for concepts. As a concept though, this is perfectly serviceable. My one issue with this type of character, is that anytime we're not in a vehicle, they don't get to stretch their legs so to speak. Of course, you can say that about any sufficiently specialized character, but I think vehicle concepts suffer from this more than others. A clever player can find a way to work their concept into most personal scenes. A driver can't always drag their speeder car into the council chambers :D

2 hours ago, Tweedledope said:

The second would be a Droid Tech heavily focused on the crafting aspect. This would be the "Toymaker" type who creates minion droid groups to go and do his bidding as well as help craft better gear for the group. He would have a rudimentary ability in Pilot (Planetary) but really have a strong ability to create all sorts of things.Thoughts? I love playing support characters and I like to "fill in the gaps" in groups.

I like this one, as it can also sort of be like the "criminal doctor" but for any criminal droids out there. They get damaged too, and need fixing. Being the guy that people like IG-88 Assassin Droid go to for repairs could potentially lead to some fun storylines in my opinion.

Plus, you can also potentially build droids as custom jobs for credits. "What's that, you want to commission me to build you a self-destructing Mouse Droid so you can drive it into your rivals cantina and kill your arch-rival? Sure, that will be 1000 credits, plus cost of parts and labor, and you never met me or I'll make some droids come say hello to you too."

10 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

A driver can't always drag their speeder car into the council chambers :D

Sure you can, it takes a lot of planning, a reinforced ram, and the willingness to take a TON of Obligation.

3 minutes ago, satkaz said:

Sure you can, it takes a lot of planning, a reinforced ram, and the willingness to take a TON of Obligation.

I knew someone was going to make that joke. Well played. *tips hat*

5 minutes ago, satkaz said:

Of course, that defective droid will with the "shoddy" programming can take the job.

Meet, "Seb."

Regarding vehicles, you guys will get the standard 120,000 credits to spend, but not on a ship. You are welcome to spend them on speeder bikes, trucks, swoops etc. Ic as a lot when their separate ways they'd need their own way around. :) It's 120,000 all together, not each by the way :P