Idea for Crime Based PBP based on Nar Shadda

By Rabobankrider, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

So this is a pretty straight forward idea for a pbp. The basic concept is that the characters would start as a citizen of Nar Shadda, as one of the many shady individuals who live there. They would be the right down at the bottom of society, perhaps as a small time petty criminal, or perhaps working in a legitimate failing business. The options for back stories are still pretty open to the players creativity. Ideally the players would already know each other pretty well for convenience. Perhaps they were in a gang as children, or maybe the more criminally minded keep trying to drag the others to their level? Again, that's up to the players. The overall aim of the campaign would be to work your way up from the lowest levels of Nar Shadda to being the most powerful gang on the planet, any way you see fit. I have got one spot reserved already, but I could see this working well with 6-8 players. It'd probably be aimed at weekly posting as everyone has lives outside of this, so let me know if you're interested!

Well, 3 PbPs, huh?

Here's a character sheet. Background could be off from what you requested, but the obligation hopefully gives enough hooks for the character to know the others.

http://swsheets.com/c/ckwwe6doj-jace-roy

Edit: Actually, I'm thinking about going gunslinger/assassin at this point. If anyone wants to pilot, I'll leave them to do it.

Edited by satkaz
Switching plans

Haha, I told a mate I'd run this one, and as it's not live it's not too difficult to run alongside the others. Character looks good to me. :-)

I'm open to the idea if we could have a strong 0 Session to coordinate our back stories. I like the gang as children idea (or still are) and organize our obligations to compliment the party? EX: Character's obligation is to the gang (party itself) in some form.

We can look into sorting that out yeah :-)

What sort of game is your mate interested in?

I'm open to my character complimenting the party void or support our story. I'm considering a Smuggler Charmer build which can support a legitimate business route or talk the party out of jams and set up jobs. I assume the campaign would be planetary primarily? If we wanted to be more of a raiding party, I could play a Operator and go down the right side of the tree for all the cool vehicle gunnery talents. Lets shoot ideas!

At the minute I'm designing it as being mostly on Nar Shadda. However as it is the Star Wars universe, there will be excursions off world, but Nar Shadda is the home base and primary goal (unless you guys mess up so much you have to relocate :P ). There's a good chance that if you guys are interested you can take smuggling contracts etc at some point. I personally wouldn't worry too much about team composition really, as I can shift the challenges around according to what you guys have, although having a face is always handy considering Nar Shadda isn't a full blown war zone (yet). My mate is still working on character creation currently, and will post when they're sorted. So currently we have a team of 3. :)

http://swsheets.com/c/zlhehfrat-insert

I'm keeping the last characteristic improvement choice open. Agility for a more combat centric campaign or Willpower for social encounter defense/coercion.

Hmm, if you want the characters to be related to each other, I'd have to change my character's background a bit, since he came from off-world looking for someone. Shouldn't be too hard to adjust it, though.

As for combat, I'm setting up to be the shooter, since I'm going Gunslinger first with Assassin as a second spec later.

@satkaz , perhaps he was born on Nar Shadda, but left when he was young in an attempt to better himself or something? Only to end up stuck on that moon again.

39 minutes ago, Rabobankrider said:

@satkaz , perhaps he was born on Nar Shadda, but left when he was young in an attempt to better himself or something? Only to end up stuck on that moon again.

Yeah, that works. I haven't fully set the background in stone yet, so that'll be nice.

Was thinking he'd be an ex-Imperial, too.

That is fine with me. Could be an interesting conflict in loyalties there in the future :P

51 minutes ago, Rabobankrider said:

That is fine with me. Could be an interesting conflict in loyalties there in the future :P

Writing preliminary background now in SWSheets. And done.

Edited by satkaz

@Vergence , are you leaning towards any background preferences currently?

Nope, I was keeping it open to mesh with whatever the party wanted to develop. For obligation I was considering antagonist or favor. For Antagonist perhaps a rival gang; guilty by association due to an older sibling famous for crushing them at some level. Favor would tie to the party somehow; oweing a npc in the gang or organization one for something in the past.

Do you have something in mind background wise?

It's really down to personal preference. I'm pretty confident that whatever people want to do we can tie the pc's to each other.

On 11/19/2017 at 5:12 PM, Vergence said:

I'm open to the idea if we could have a strong 0 Session to coordinate our back stories. I like the gang as children idea (or still are) and organize our obligations to compliment the party? EX: Character's obligation is to the gang (party itself) in some form.

I would be careful and say make the obligations attached to NPCs, not to players. Remember, obligations are supposed to be burdens and things to eventually throw off if we could. I don't think that we would want to throw off each other just because our obligation to the party is done.

If we want us to have a reason to stick together, Motivation is what should be agreed on the most. If we're going with the whole "gang knew each other as children", then that's why I have Relationship: Childhood Friend(s) as a Motivation.

Edited by satkaz

I agree, I guess I clarified more in my last post discussing obligation. Favor for NPC gang member or in our organization, antagonist obligation being our rival. The idea was party connection like you mention (glue). Of course, only suggestions!

3 hours ago, Vergence said:

Nope, I was keeping it open to mesh with whatever the party wanted to develop. For obligation I was considering antagonist or favor. For Antagonist perhaps a rival gang; guilty by association due to an older sibling famous for crushing them at some level. Favor would tie to the party somehow; oweing a npc in the gang or organization one for something in the past.

Do you have something in mind background wise?

Is this starting xp only or Knight Level?

I don't think @Rabobankrider clarified to be honest. I think @satkaz 's character used starting XP and had his sheet approved by him. I assume its starting XP since its a start from the bottom and work your way up too. He's building it around the players so if you have preference we can voice it here.

2 minutes ago, Vergence said:

I don't think @Rabobankrider clarified to be honest. I think @satkaz 's character used starting XP and had his sheet approved by him. I assume its starting XP since its a start from the bottom and work your way up too. He's building it around the players so if you have preference we can voice it here.

I currently used starting XP plus adding extra Obligation to get the +10 XP. I haven't heard if he's using Knight level play myself.

Looks like I could make PC #5 here and this sounds like a pretty interesting game.

@Rabobankrider , any more details on character creation? Books available, custom species (USM species), etc.? Also, what era are we looking at here? The Dark Times?

It is starting xp for this one to represent you guys being at the bottom of the pile.

Any species is available, and any book for AoR or EotE can be used. I am aiming to keep the force in this one to a minimum really, so any jedi etc will be pretty rare and will be npc's. However this is the star wars universe so a player may get a chance to look at playing force sensitive emergant. This won't turn into a hunt for ither jedi though.

Era I was thinking between episode 3 and 4, shortly after order 66. The emlire would be looking to make its presence well and truly felt, and with the victory in the war there's going to be quite a few supporters going about.

6 hours ago, Rabobankrider said:

It is starting xp for this one to represent you guys being at the bottom of the pile.

Any species is available, and any book for AoR or EotE can be used. I am aiming to keep the force in this one to a minimum really, so any jedi etc will be pretty rare and will be npc's. However this is the star wars universe so a player may get a chance to look at playing force sensitive emergant. This won't turn into a hunt for ither jedi though.

Era I was thinking between episode 3 and 4, shortly after order 66. The emlire would be looking to make its presence well and truly felt, and with the victory in the war there's going to be quite a few supporters going about.

Hmm, okay. Another change in background is needed.

Hmm, I might go with a Thief instead of a Trader/Politico. Not really sure right now. Both are appealing. I'll have to mull it over a bit more.