I'm having trouble taking down my son's Dragon...Help

By Fu Leng, in L5R LCG: Deck Building

Between Togashi Yokuni (who I think is the strongest champion in the game) and all those dang attatchments, I'm having trouble taking down my kids Dragon.

I'm still new but would love some advice.

I was playing Lion and even splashed Let Go, but his ancestral weapons go right back into his hand and then I say S**T

4 hours ago, Fu Leng said:

Between Togashi Yokuni (who I think is the strongest champion in the game) and all those dang attatchments, I'm having trouble taking down my kids Dragon.

I'm still new but would love some advice.

I was playing Lion and even splashed Let Go, but his ancestral weapons go right back into his hand and then I say S**T

If I am not wrong, Ancestral does not work against let go. If the character leaves play, the ancestral attachment goes back to hand, but if the attachment is discarded by let go, it does not.

As a Dragon player, I will tell you I had problems against dishonor, as the main characters have 2-3 glory and the clan does not have many tools to re-honor their characters. I even moved to a monk build to deal with this issue. Also, you can use some miya mistics and let go, indluding maybe cloud the mind against the main dragon characters. Dragon is also vulnerable to Miramoto´ fury and any other character control, as they use to focus on 1-2 big characther and don´t have a counter yet.

I recommend you try with Scorpion. I had many problems against them: dishonor, shugenjas, cloud the mind, forged edict and the dragon splash: let go and mirumoto fury.

Or... you can let the kid win and make him happy... :-)

Edited by Koriume

Is he splashing Lion with Sashimono?

2 hours ago, Koriume said:

If I am not wrong, Ancestral does not work against let go. If the character leaves play, the ancestral attachment goes back to hand, but if the attachment is discarded by let go, it does not.

As a Dragon player, I will tell you I had problems against dishonor, as the main characters have 2-3 glory and the clan does not have many tools to re-honor their characters. I even moved to a monk build to deal with this issue. Also, you can use some miya mistics and let go, indluding maybe cloud the mind against the main dragon characters. Dragon is also vulnerable to Miramoto´ fury and any other character control, as they use to focus on 1-2 big characther and don´t have a counter yet.

I recommend you try with Scorpion. I had many problems against them: dishonor, shugenjas, cloud the mind, forged edict and the dragon splash: let go and mirumoto fury.

The attatchment Ancestral Daisho simply says when this card leaves play return it to your hand. Let Go says choose an attatchment and discard it so I don't see how you are correct on that. Please show me. I will look into your other suggestions this afternoon. Thanks Kariume!

42 minutes ago, caseycheesecake said:

Is he splashing Lion with Sashimono?

I was Lion and not using that, perhaps I should?

He only splashed Against the Waves so he could ready his bad asses.

Ancestral. (When attached card leaves play, return this card to your hand.)

That is, when the card Ancestral Daisho is attached to leaves play, it goes back to the hand. If Ancestral Daisho itself is Let Go, or discarded by any other means, it gets discarded just like any other attachment.

As twinstarbmc said - Let Go and Miya Mystic do discard Ancestral items. Ancestral items only go back to the hand when the character they are attached to leaves play. If they are discarded by any other means they do get discarded.

Also - go for the hand. Ring of Earth, Spies at Court, and more Ring of Earth. Keep your own bid low, and focus on winning the ring - but don't worry about breaking the province. Just whittle his hand down and he won't have attachments to boost his guys. He can then play through significantly weaker without a hand, or bid honor to draw more - and then you go for the Air ring too.

37 minutes ago, Fu Leng said:

I was Lion and not using that, perhaps I should?

He only splashed Against the Waves so he could ready his bad asses.

I don't like Sashimono as a splash into Unicorn because it's for buff guys with lots of fate.

For example, I played a Dragon guy who put this on one of his huge guys with like 3 other attachments. It allowed him to attack military, come home unbowed, defend military, stay unbowed, and then attack political ALL IN ONE TURN!

He better be doing that as Dragon. If he is, you need attachment removal like Let Go (Dragon Conflict), Maya Mistic (Neutral Dynasty), or Scorpion/Crab attachment shenanigans.

Edited by caseycheesecake
1 hour ago, twinstarbmc said:

Ancestral. (When attached card leaves play, return this card to your hand.)

That is, when the card Ancestral Daisho is attached to leaves play, it goes back to the hand. If Ancestral Daisho itself is Let Go, or discarded by any other means, it gets discarded just like any other attachment.

That cool, can you show me where in the rules? Please

1 hour ago, Soshi Nimue said:

As twinstarbmc said - Let Go and Miya Mystic do discard Ancestral items. Ancestral items only go back to the hand when the character they are attached to leaves play. If they are discarded by any other means they do get discarded.

Also - go for the hand. Ring of Earth, Spies at Court, and more Ring of Earth. Keep your own bid low, and focus on winning the ring - but don't worry about breaking the province. Just whittle his hand down and he won't have attachments to boost his guys. He can then play through significantly weaker without a hand, or bid honor to draw more - and then you go for the Air ring too.

Can you please show me in the rules where that is clarified?

Just ground him and declare that you win. Problem Solved. :)

29 minutes ago, Fu Leng said:

Can you please show me in the rules where that is clarified?

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/00/10/00100fe1-5c8b-4e7f-9924-ec1fcf1575c0/l5c01-online_rulesreference_v10.pdf - This is the Rules Reference guide. On Page 2, it gives a clearer definition of 'Ancestral' and clearly states that it's referring to the card to which the ancestral weapon is attached. If the character leaves play, they get the attachment back, but if the attachment leaves play, nothing special happens.

1 hour ago, Krashwire said:

Just ground him and declare that you win. Problem Solved. :)

He's 30 I'm 59 grounding days are long over lol

1 hour ago, AradonTemplar said:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/00/10/00100fe1-5c8b-4e7f-9924-ec1fcf1575c0/l5c01-online_rulesreference_v10.pdf - This is the Rules Reference guide. On Page 2, it gives a clearer definition of 'Ancestral' and clearly states that it's referring to the card to which the ancestral weapon is attached. If the character leaves play, they get the attachment back, but if the attachment leaves play, nothing special happens.

So he had Yokuni out, with the ancestral weapon, I played Let Go, it went back into his hand and then he just proceeded to bring it right back out for the cost of one fate? That seems correct after reading that, and thankyou

8 hours ago, Koriume said:

the kid is 30, screw that lol

So funny how folks maybe imagined the daddy teaching his little one to play card games when it's actually a grown up story :)

Be ruthless then, he can handle it. I have the same age difference with my da (but add 10 years to each) but can only dream of playing L5R with him. Fair play to yous.

So is he in fact the dark son of Fu Leng? ;)

Edited by Nitenman
2 hours ago, Fu Leng said:

So he had Yokuni out, with the ancestral weapon, I played Let Go, it went back into his hand and then he just proceeded to bring it right back out for the cost of one fate? That seems correct after reading that, and thankyou

Dragon player here, Ancestral only works if the thing it is attached to. Direct attachment destruction thwarts Ancestral.

I run Voice of Honor in my Dragon deck to cancel events for such events, and eventually Censure. Unfortunately finger of jade doesn't help since the character isn't being targeted.

Just now, Waywardpaladin said:

Dragon player here, Ancestral only works if the thing it is attached to. Direct attachment destruction thwarts Ancestral.

I run Voice of Honor in my Dragon deck to cancel events for such events, and eventually Censure. Unfortunately finger of jade doesn't help since the character isn't being targeted.

could you please clarify yournfirst sentence?

I've read the rules about ancestral. I can't find a rule that supports what your saying there about direct attachment destruction.

thanks for your help

"Ancestral Ancestral is a keyword ability that appears on attachments. If the card or game element to which an ancestral attachment is attached leaves play, the ancestral attachment is returned to its owner’s hand instead of being discarded."

Specifically it says that the attachment returns to your hand only when the game element to which an ancestral attachment is attached leaves play. It says nothing about if the attachment itself leaves play, which means it does nothing out of the ordinary, i.e. the ancestral attachment goes to the discard.

Just now, AradonTemplar said:

"Ancestral Ancestral is a keyword ability that appears on attachments. If the card or game element to which an ancestral attachment is attached leaves play, the ancestral attachment is returned to its owner’s hand instead of being discarded."

Specifically it says that the attachment returns to your hand only when the game element to which an ancestral attachment is attached leaves play. It says nothing about if the attachment itself leaves play, which means it does nothing out of the ordinary, i.e. the ancestral attachment goes to the discard.

Thanks!!!!!!!

My son is 10 and I have to play cutthroat...otherwise he'll roll me!!!

Can't let the balance of power shift this early in his life!

Growing up my dad and I would play cribbage for titles. King of the Kitchen, or Lord of the Latrine....those sorts of things. You would have to get permission to enter the area from whomever held the title and we would put up our various titles for ante when playing.

One year we were on a vacation on a houseboat and I went on a rush beating my dad 4 games in a row and taking all the titles. He's ultra competitive and wanted to get a title back, plus he was sick of asking pemission to go everywhere. Since he had no titles to ante he said I could name my own title of I won again. I did and I became the Baron of the Boat. I promptly told my dad to walk the plank and he jumped off the boat.

Edited by Ishi Tonu
On 11/19/2017 at 5:05 AM, kraken78 said:

My son is 10 and I have to play cutthroat...otherwise he'll roll me!!!

Can't let the balance of power shift this early in his life!

Maaaaannnnnnnn, some of you guys are ruthless.

When and if I go up against you, I’ll state my age to be 60 years old or older, which might garner some ‘elderly respect’ from you. Maybe ... ;)