Interesting Times in Rokugan

By Shiba Gunichi, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

1 minute ago, Hida Jitenno said:

They are the three clans with the Walls, at least in the post-Destroyer War story.

Let's not go there.

26 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

So I guess that makes Unicorn-Crab-Scorpion the allies with Dragon being Switzerland?

Realistically it would likely make more sense as Unicorn-Scorpion-Dragon being the counter to Lion-Crane-Phoenix so that you end up with a high honor/tradition bound versus lower honor/progressive conflict with Crab being your neutral we have other priorities to worry about.

1 hour ago, Manchu said:

Crane-Lion-Phoenix is ideal, for a number of reasons. First, they are culturally-aligned as the orthodox representatives of Rokugan’s artistic, martial, and scholarly traditions. Second, they balance each other’s strengths and weaknesses. Third, they surround Otosan Uichi.

I think you missed his Gozoku joke...

No, I’m advocating for a different configuration.

Edited by Manchu
28 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Let's not go there.

I can agree to that.

37 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

I think you missed his Gozoku joke...

http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Gozoku

In any event... as matters presently stand, I don't think any triple entente of any configuration is going to get off of the ground- the Scorpion are far too in control, and far too interested in thwarting any combination that might threaten their power. Plus, you know, the Otomo.

In the long run, who can say? I can find justifications for nearly any combination of clans in any set of numbers, once current events are different.

I don’t believe a Crane-Lion-Phoenix hegemony is likely, certainly not at this point (where there is much greater likelihood of an embattled Lion-Scorpion regency) - and maybe not even likely at any point. Rather, I consider that configuration ideal.