Interesting Times in Rokugan

By Shiba Gunichi, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

I think Tsukune is being set up to become a very great hero.

On 11/19/2017 at 2:13 AM, Tabris2k said:

Although sometimes is a double-edged sword. Like when some people bash the fiction for being “poorly written”, just because it doesn’t fit their particular vision of a clan or a character. Like in the last Yasuki Taka fiction, one of the post said that the characters are flat, and it’s the writer’s fault.

This is a complete side note, but I'm shocked that some people feel this way about the fiction we've gotten so far. I've followed the online fiction for other games, and I must say that thus far the L5R writers are doing an excellent job. I can honestly say that I haven't run across a fiction thus far that I've disliked--there are certain stories that I find more interesting than others, but every single one of them has been an enjoyable read. I've also noticed that, despite each author having his or her own style and voice, the L5R fictions feel very consistent with one another. In particular, I love how well all of the authors have handled the dialog--in other universes I've read, some authors will write dialog in a style that is much more casual or modern than the other writers, which REALLY takes me out of the story. The dialog in the L5R fictions, on the other hand, all feels like it belongs in the same world. I know that might not sound like a big deal, but in my opinion subtle details like that can really make or break immersion for the reader (or at the very least, for the me :) ). So props to the writing team, both for their individual talents and for their ability to craft a cohesive world together!

5 hours ago, Manchu said:

I think Tsukune is being set up to become a very great hero.

Hopefully she delivers on the words her prior continuity's incarnation used, and actually demands an equal voice on the Council. Not yet, of course- far, far too early yet (especially with all of one Phoenix-POV fictions to date)

1 hour ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Hopefully she delivers on the words her prior continuity's incarnation used, and actually demands an equal voice on the Council. Not yet, of course- far, far too early yet (especially with all of one Phoenix-POV fictions to date)

I do hope we get more soon. And from the same writer, as I thoroughly enjoyed the initial Phoenix fiction.

11 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

I'm sure she will do her best.........

13 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

I know that it was a small one and it still doesn't put Phoenix on the same page as Lion, Scorpion and Crane, but there was also the Smokeless Fire as a Phoenix-POV fiction.

1 hour ago, KerenRhys said:

I know that it was a small one and it still doesn't put Phoenix on the same page as Lion, Scorpion and Crane, but there was also the Smokeless Fire as a Phoenix-POV fiction.

Awright, two- meaning the Dragon need another go, and the Unicorn.

2 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Just the Dragon now, yes?

INDEED!

11 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Apart from the new fiction, don’t forget To the South, which also was a Unicorn fiction (with a side of Crab)

11 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

Apart from the new fiction, don’t forget To the South, which also was a Unicorn fiction (with a side of Crab)

And Naga.

Another Mantis/Crab offering is up...

At this point, I think we've had more Mantis stories than Dragon stories...

Well, the Dragon have one, and the Mantis... really didn't show up until the end of a Crab story, so I'd say they're tied.

But yeah, the Dragon are definitely the farthest "behind," with the Phoenix doing about one story better. Which is, I hate to say, pretty familiar territory.

Kinda hard to get stories from secluded people....

2 minutes ago, Yogo Rye X said:

Kinda hard to get stories from secluded people....

I mean, they were supposed to be mobilizing and heading south. But they've been mobilizing an awfully long time now... :P

23 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

I mean, they were supposed to be mobilizing and heading south. But they've been mobilizing an awfully long time now... :P

Oh, c'mon -- they've got nothing on the Others in A Song of Ice and Fire. Took those guys years to actually get to the Wall. The Dragon have had, what, a few months?

Pointed out in other threads, but worth noting here, especially in the context of the Rokugan doomsday clock, is the removal of the clan champions. So far 3 out of 7 experienced clan champions dead. 1 attempted removal via marriage. That leaves only the untouchables, a spy master, an invincible warlord and a demi god. Could be coincidence, could be a plot.

On 11/17/2017 at 9:25 AM, Funkula said:

Don't forget the radical sect that's undermining the Celestial Order among the Dragon peasants. That is imo the most interesting piece of entirely new fluff because it could be a front for existing enemies of the Empire (that haven't shown up in new continuity yet) or a genuine new challenge.

I wonder if this will end up having any connections to the O5R Fudo stuff.

Question. What are the current state of alliances in this timeline? I’m mainly going for the RPG, but some of the fiction and character motivations are making me wonder just how different things are. My biggest question/curiosity is Crane Unicorn relations.

In the previous timeline they were generally allies since the Crane vouched for the Unicorn on their return. Is this no longer the case?

I could be wrong but I think Crane and Unicorn are indifferent of each other. Below is a section from the Palace of the Emerald Champion adventure download:

0UbomBN.png

2 hours ago, General Zod said:

Question. What are the current state of alliances in this timeline? I’m mainly going for the RPG, but some of the fiction and character motivations are making me wonder just how different things are. My biggest question/curiosity is Crane Unicorn relations.

In the previous timeline they were generally allies since the Crane vouched for the Unicorn on their return. Is this no longer the case?

There is still a close relationship between the Crane and Unicorn. For example, the Crane were promoting a Unicorn petition to have Toshi Ranbo declared an Imperial holding, to put an end to the fighting there (which would have just happened to happen while the Crane were in possession of the city, and would have become it's stewards on behalf of the Imperials). That was shut down, thanks to some schemes and machinations, but the two clans do maintain good relations still. A lot of this, in contemporary Rokugan, arises from the fact that both clans have quite POOR relations with the Lion, so there's definitely an "enemy of my enemy" component to this.

Otherwise, we haven't heard a lot of explicit things about alliances, tensions, grudges, etc.

Thanks for the update! My concern stemmed from the Unicorn pc in the Beginner Box for the rpg. That particular character seems to have some anger towards the Crane.

2 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Thanks for the update! My concern stemmed from the Unicorn pc in the Beginner Box for the rpg. That particular character seems to have some anger towards the Crane.

Oh, individual samurai might despise a clan with whom their clan otherwise has good relations, or is even allied...so don't take this guy's attitude toward the Crane as indicative of the big picture.

Crane-Unicorn sympathy seems pegged to the issue of who controls Toshi Ranbo and its adjacent territory. With that settled, Lion has no reason to pursue conflict against Crane and Crane hardly seems in a position to back Unicorn against Lion. It would be a good time for Crane and Lion to pursue an entente cordiale.