The "Aim" maneuver

By player266669, in WFRP House Rules

Previous editions of WFRP offered an "Aim" action that allowed a character to slightly increase the chance for their next attack to succeed at teh cost of a movement action.

I have nmot played the game with a full group yet; so far I've just done a bunch of test combats. I have come across a few situations where there was no useful maneuver available at hand when a character was activated. Now, I can see that the "assist" maneuver would probably come in handy in many cases, but my tsts have all been 1-on-1 battles.

I'm wondering what you gyus think of introducing an Aim maneuver that would work like this:

AIM

A character who aims before making a ranged attack suffers no penalty for firing into an engagement. If a character aims before making a ranged attack at a target that is not engaged, the aiming character may add one fortune die to his dice pool for that attack.

So that's my thought. Is this over-powered for ranged characters? Should there be a melee version of this? Is it too strong in the grand scheme of things?

As it is now I don't think characters really need the added bonus. They are powerful enough as is. Perhaps if you play with reduced creation points.

Giving ranged attackers a fortune dice for not moving before shooting is almost like giving them a free bonus. most won't be moving before they shoot anyway or if they do it would just cost them 1 fatigue.

Standing still with melee combats happening is never good for someone with a bow (especially as they can't fire into their own engagement) so i would definitely say not being able to move is a must.

I like what you have done with the mechanical benefits, but would suggest there needs to be some sort of counterbalance to its power as it will give an advantage to archers compared to warriors or spellcasters if implemented - a requirement or some such maybe or maybe costing 2 or more maneuvers to strain them as Lucas suggests?

I would apply a penalty, such as "No active defenses may be used". Thus, if you aim, you can't use an active defense until your next turn arrives b/c you're busy/preoccupied with standing still and aiming.

I like the idea of not being able to use any active defenses.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of penalties do you guys normally see in your games for firing into an engagement? I was thinking that adding one misfortune die would be appropriate, but I'd like to hear how others have addressed this.

One misfortune per friendly/neutral in the engagement, and on a Chaos Star you inflict 1 wound on one of them, hit or miss.

I don't really think that an Aim maneouvre is necessary, that's what Accurate shot (and other similar action cards) is for. Some of them (Sniper shot comes to mind) requires preparation in the form of one spent maneouvre.

No active defenses? That's one huge effect to gain from just one maneouvre spent.

I agree that there are cards that have similar effect and that use the preparation maneuvre which is kinda of what you're after.

dvang said:

One misfortune per friendly/neutral in the engagement, and on a Chaos Star you inflict 1 wound on one of them, hit or miss .

Consider this idea stolen! I really like it as it feels perfectly "Warhammer".

Thanks!

dvang said:

One misfortune per friendly/neutral in the engagement, and on a Chaos Star you inflict 1 wound on one of them, hit or miss.

great !