Deaths grasp question

By Drakoniss, in Runewars Rules Questions

Ah, thanks. Oof brutal... :)

1 hour ago, Tvayumat said:

RRG Page 9, RR-22.1 - When a unit suffers damage, the attacker - or the unit's opponent when the damage is not caused by an attack - assigns damage to one figure at a time until all of the damage has been assigned.

Yes, you can.

Interesting to note that, if one wanted to be super technical, Mortal Strikes are explicitly covered by this, while raw wounds are not.

However, there is literally no other mechanism in the game to decide how a wound WOULD be suffered so....

Yeah, the attacker/other player always picks the target.

Agree with Tvay here, damage/wounds are almost always applied by the opposing player. I'd make an exception for berzerkers (do they read wound? Unknown to me, never bothered).

Edited by Darthain

Since Berserkers "suffer 1 wound" to gain Lethal 1, I think the opponent still decides on which figure gets removed.

4 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Since Berserkers "suffer 1 wound" to gain Lethal 1, I think the opponent still decides on which figure gets removed.

Yep, seems like.

Should make you think twice if you're running figure upgrades and get down to one rank.

11 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Brings new meaning to suffer. I was too lazy to look up the card, but yeah, makes everything oddly consistent and consistent is generally correct.

With Death’s Grasp being given by Obcasium’s Gauntlet, it makes me wonder if future characters/units will have items that could give out the same condition. The Gauntlet may not yet be the only thing generating this condition in the future. I could see a Uthuk dark Sorcerer type handing it out.

Played 3 games against the gauntlet. It helped destroy one hero and a unit in the first game. The other games it ensured the elimination of one unit in one game and a hero in the other. My issue with it so far is that it seems a very lazy way to play. Melee a unit and then apply the condition and you are almost guaranteed to eliminate the target unit. No need to maneuver. I have to think that this card will be very common in tournaments. It is a card that if players cannot develop a reasonable counter to might lead to some just trying other games or refusing to play against it. I play at least one game a week but someone playing one or two games a month may not play the game sufficiently to deal with this type of card leading to potentially bad experiences the few times they do play.

Edited by Horsa
14 minutes ago, Horsa said:

Played 3 games against the gauntlet. It helped destroy one hero and a unit in the first game. The other games it ensured the elimination of one unit in one game and a hero in the other. My issue with it so far is that it seems a very lazy way to play. Melee a unit and then apply the condition and you are almost guaranteed to eliminate the target unit. No need to maneuver. I have to think that this card will be very common in tournaments. It is a card that if players cannot develop a reasonable counter to might lead to some just trying other games or refusing to play against it. I play at least one game a week but someone playing one or two games a month may not play the game sufficiently to deal with this type of card leading to potentially bad experiences the few times they do play.

That's an interesting perspective.

Do you find ranged combat similarly lazy? After all, all you need to do is be pointed the right direction and within a foot or so.

On 11/4/2017 at 6:11 PM, Horsa said:

I played 2 games with it recently. In the first game OG was used to rip up Hawthorne.

The second game it didn't come into play at all, as the Death Knights only encountered a tray of spearmen[t].

It can be very situational, and burns 5 points in your list if it is not used/necessary for a game.

I'd like to see it as an Ardus upgrade. He seems to die so often, it'd be a great parting gift to your opponent.

1 hour ago, Glucose98 said:

I'd like to see it as an Ardus upgrade. He seems to die so often, it'd be a great parting gift to your opponent.

Well, it's an artifact so just put it on Ardus

18 hours ago, Glucose98 said:

Yeah, it is by no means exclusive to the Death Knights

On 11/7/2017 at 10:12 PM, Jukey said:

Well, it's an artifact so just put it on Ardus

Right. I'm just saying, no one is building that list :)

I'm planning on trying it next time I play, and running duskblade death knights with CI.

update: tried it, love it.

Edited by Jukey

Can I hijack this topic for a related question? Are artifacts "unique" or something alike? Not able to find it in the rules but the wiki mentions something like that....

6 minutes ago, Antox717 said:

Can I hijack this topic for a related question? Are artifacts "unique" or something alike? Not able to find it in the rules but the wiki mentions something like that....

:C

I hope so

10 hours ago, Antox717 said:

It isn't super obvious on the cards, but any card with a fancy wavy line underneath it (the name) is unique. Whether character or upgrade.

Edited by rowdyoctopus

Just to clarify, that wavy line will be found under the name of the card.

ok. And I trust you. Really. But does it says so somewhere? Just to stick it in the face of rules-obsessed-eurogames-nerd-players-who-whine-about-game-breaking-elements-while-not-caring-for-the-abuse-they-themselves-do-of-not-exactly-foolproof-wordings-or-game-situations. :wub: Pretty please

Edited by Antox717

Rules Reference, #86

86 Unique Names
A card’s name is unique if there is an underline under its name.
86.1 An army cannot contain more than one card with the same
unique name, even if those cards are of different types.
86.2 An army can only include one unique unit for every 100
points allowed in the army. Unique upgrades do not count
toward this limit.

Really really thanks Uthoroc. Exactly what i needed.

... And how the **** did i miss that whole section!?!

7 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Just to clarify, that wavy line will be found under the name of the card.

That's what happens when I post before 5 AM and before my coffee.

7 minutes ago, rowdyoctopus said:

That's what happens when I post before 5 AM and before my coffee.

You weren't wrong, though. No worries.

On the subject of the power level of O's gauntlet, I find it strong, but definitely not over the top. The problem is the limited times you can use it and the inflexibility of having it on a melee unit, as opposed to a ranged unit. The timing being during the end phase also takes it down a notch, the unit gets to fight back before it loses the wounds.

I mean, it is pretty much a death sentence for any hero that it touches, or for single model siege units. I suspect it will put the kibosh on the MSU Scion List that won worlds a couple weeks ago, but I'm OK with that :-) So a savvy opponent does have to keep vulnerable heroes away from it, and has to protect high defense, low wound units from an early game encounter, with it, but that shouldn't be too hard.

I also don't think it's super useful on larger units. I think you're better off with Fortuna's dice, the reaping blade, or the Duskblade if you're just going for straight up damage with a larger unit.

In my lists the gauntlet has found a home on Ardus hand. He really has never felt suited for any of the other artifacts. Reaping blade or magarth maybe, but still not a great fit. The gauntlet works great with his often short lifespan, and his white rally modifier is a good bonus too.

between gauntlet and a few deathmists on the field, Latari and uthuk armies are going to suffer a lot of chip damage.