Beta Rules Update v1.0 and Preview Material

By FFG_Sam Stewart, in Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game Beta

Hello everyone!

I just want to draw your attention to the first rules update and our first preview of material that will be in the final book. These can be found here , and this is also where you can find our additional updates in the future.

Enjoy!

Mr Stewart

I’m going to echo and voice: why the changes weren’t compiled in one document?

same as above

ditto

Yeah. What they said. :)

The update includes the following:

p. 108, Iaijutsu: Replace this technique with the following techniques: ...

The Kakita Duelist School has the following language:

Starting Techniques:

• Kata: Iaijutsu

Which Kata is the Kakita Duelist School intended to begin with now?

1 minute ago, Doji Meshou said:

The update includes the following:

The Kakita Duelist School has the following language:

This too...

Both? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would say the horizontal blade as that is more in line with real world battojutsu, while the rising blade is more in line with korean geom sool

32 minutes ago, Mirumoto Seiichiro said:

Both? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would say the horizontal blade as that is more in line with real world battojutsu, while the rising blade is more in line with korean geom sool

Horizontal blade gets added to their advancement table so presumably they get vertical as base.

6 minutes ago, Norgrath said:

Horizontal blade gets added to their advancement table so presumably they get vertical as base.

Rising Blade also works with Way of the Crane so there is that synergy to support it.

Is there an alt link?

Please do not tell me you guys expect us to try to navigate 2 pdfs going line-by-line......

Listen, if someone want to send me a copy on the InDesign files I'll go ahead and format the book with the edits in it. I have a convention next week but will I do it myself once that is over.

(EDIT: Actually, I could probably knock it out this weekend)

sad.jpg

Edited by Kakita Onimaru
28 minutes ago, Kakita Onimaru said:

Please do not tell me you guys expect us to try to navigate 2 pdfs going line-by-line......

Listen, if someone want to send me a copy on the InDesign files I'll go ahead and format the book with the edits in it. I have a convention next week but will I do it myself once that is over.

(EDIT: Actually, I could probably knock it out this weekend)

sad.jpg

You are a GOD.

7 hours ago, Doji Meshou said:

The horizonal strike is basiclly the same as Iaijutsu previously was, so that would be the easiest replacement. If you let the choose one the vertical slash is the better choce because it is rank 2 and cannot be learned immidiately after character creation.

24 minutes ago, Yandia said:

The horizonal strike is basiclly the same as Iaijutsu previously was, so that would be the easiest replacement. If you let the choose one the vertical slash is the better choce because it is rank 2 and cannot be learned immidiately after character creation.

Both are rank 2.

And the Horizontal Blade replaces Crescent Strike on the Kakita advancement table.

A few typos and unclear parts have been listed in the Proofreading sub forum... now to more meaty questions :)

First of all, I really like the new Strife system. Almost tempted to allow unmasking even when not Compromised (but close enough), if the context makes sense.

On Striking as Air, not sure I understand the new wording... do I still need to spend 1 opportunity to activate the technique (and get the first +1 TN to be hit)? Or is the 1st one “free”? In other words, does it take a total of 2 or 3 opportunities to increase the TN by 2?

New Water stance: in addition to the free draw/stow/maneuver, it looks like it is also possible to perform an Assist on top of your own action. Two fighters in Water stance can assist each other every round! Or one such fighter can take the Calming Breath Action each turn for effective regeneration...

Side note, this made me realize that Incapacitated characters can also Assist and take a Calming Breath (even twice a round in Water stance - can incapacitated characters assume stances? Seems like it). In the latter case they could eventually bring their Fatigue back below their Resilience and jump back into the fray! Corollary: now there is a strong incentive to “finish” the job, at least for Adversaries. Coup de grace style :)

Prepare an item: the effect mentions “one” weapon or object. Does this supersede the part of the sidebar on p. 147 saying “they may choose any number of weapons at range 0-1 that they can hold at once”? Can one ready two one-handed weapons at once with this action?

Same question for the effect upon success at an Assessment check.

I will miss Charge. That's all :( .

But hey, I do welcome my new Water Stance overlords :D !

5 minutes ago, Franwax said:

On Striking as Air, not sure I understand the new wording... do I still need to spend 1 opportunity to activate the technique (and get the first +1 TN to be hit)? Or is the 1st one “free”? In other words, does it take a total of 2 or 3 opportunities to increase the TN by 2?

It goes from:

Air *+: Increase the TN of the first Attack check targeting you before the beginning of your next turn by 1 per * spent this way.

to

Air *+: Increase the TN of the first Attack check targeting you before the beginning of your next turn by 1, plus and additional 1 per ** spent this way.

One * to trigger the initial +1TN with each additional +1TN costing **.

+1TN costs 1*

+2TN costs 3*

+3TN costs 5*

OK thanks. It seems the PDF did not show the *+... but makes sense this way

This section "Removing Strife In addition to removal of strife as a result of an outburst, characters naturally remove strife as time passes. At the end of each scene, each character removes a number of strife equal to their Water ring rank." must be ignored too?

I might be the only one, but I hate the term Unmasking. I think it's clunky, I think it sounds more game-mechanicy than emotionally resonant, and I think it's a poor choice in a world where actual physical masks are significant to roughly 15% of all PCs.

I have to admit, the option to remain Compromised by emotional turmoil at the cost of not taking dice with Strife on them, or to outburst and blow of steam actually warms me to the system a lot. As characters get more experienced and get better dice pools they can manage to stay functional even while seething with turmoil, while younger and more inexperienced samurai are more likely to suffer some kind of outburst or to falter and fail. That seems like a pretty good model for handling the delicate balance of seeming and necessity.

If the final system makes Opportunity spends easier to find and decide on, and tweaks the advancement system, I might actually be able to get behind this.

Going to echo the 'Kakita Duelists start with a now-defunct Technique' chorus (and the one that says that it'd be preferable to have all these rules in the one updated document rather than having to reference two documents at the same time during play). Overall, however, I very much like what I'm seeing here.