Make your own Deployment Cards - in five minutes or less!

By Bitterman, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

OK, current theory is that it's depending a version of the System.ComponentModel DLL that isn't in Windows 7 (and I'm not sure about 8).

I'm guessing that if you've not updated to 10 yet you won't do it just for the sake of my silly little card editor ;) so I'll see if I can rebuild it without that dependency. If you like, you can blame Microsoft for taking installer projects out of Visual Studio - I'd rather have made a proper installer instead of just a ZIP! Bear with me and I'll try to work something out.

@subtrendy2 , @RogueLieutenant : sorry you've been having trouble, I've had a look at putting together a version that'd be more likely to run on older versions of Windows and unfortunately it would require a hefty rewrite of key parts of the app. However, I do have a few suggestions that you might like to try - please let me know how you get on. (Feel free to PM me, or use the "Help -> Report a Bug or Suggestion" link in the app, so as not to clutter up this thread too much).

1) After downloading the ZIP, but before extracting it, right-click and go to Properties. If there's a checkbox there marked "Unblock", check it and click OK. Then extract the files and run it as before. If we're lucky, this might be enough for it to start working.

2) If it still doesn't work, try manually installing .NET framework 4.5.1. This can be obtained from Microsoft here , though you should have it already, unless you've turned off automatic updates in Windows?

3) If that still doesn't work, try Windows 10. :D I realise that's a big ask for a small app like this... but the chances are good you'll need to do it one day anyway (old versions of Windows eventually lose all support, and then become vulnerable, just ask the NHS in the UK how their Windows XP systems coped recently!).

4 hours ago, Bitterman said:

@subtrendy2 , @RogueLieutenant : sorry you've been having trouble, I've had a look at putting together a version that'd be more likely to run on older versions of Windows and unfortunately it would require a hefty rewrite of key parts of the app. However, I do have a few suggestions that you might like to try - please let me know how you get on. (Feel free to PM me, or use the "Help -> Report a Bug or Suggestion" link in the app, so as not to clutter up this thread too much).

1) After downloading the ZIP, but before extracting it, right-click and go to Properties. If there's a checkbox there marked "Unblock", check it and click OK. Then extract the files and run it as before. If we're lucky, this might be enough for it to start working.

2) If it still doesn't work, try manually installing .NET framework 4.5.1. This can be obtained from Microsoft here , though you should have it already, unless you've turned off automatic updates in Windows?

3) If that still doesn't work, try Windows 10. :D I realise that's a big ask for a small app like this... but the chances are good you'll need to do it one day anyway (old versions of Windows eventually lose all support, and then become vulnerable, just ask the NHS in the UK how their Windows XP systems coped recently!).

I'd love to use this too, but I'm running into the same issue as the others.

Can't really go to Windows 10 as this is a work computer. Oh well...

Monitoring this thread in hopes of someone creating Jarjar deployment card.

I made these 2, any advices?.

4-LOM.png

zuckuss.png

Yeah, no luck still. Sorry!

5 hours ago, redki said:

I made these 2, any advices?.

4-LOM.png

zuckuss.png

I like those. A couple thoughts

- What's pr.?

- Partners is an awesome ability, but it should probably read something like (using Zuckuss's card as an example): If you control 4-LOM and he has not yet activated this turn, you may choose to have him interrupt to perform his at the end of Zuckuss's Activation". Or something along those lines.

yeah i'm at work so i'm not going to be able to update to Win10. We'll see if the other trick works. I hope so since this tool is amazing.

hmm that didn't fix it. :( Oh well.

Sorry chaps. As I say, it'd be quite a rework to take out the bit that seems to be causing problems on older versions of Windows, otherwise I'd do it (and would have done it differently in the first place, I didn't consciously realize it would be a problem, or even think about it if I'm honest!).

On 10/23/2017 at 8:58 AM, Bitterman said:

Windows only.

First @Spidey NZ 's app. Now this card editor.

Ugh, buying all those Apple products is really coming back to haunt me!

Seriously though, this looks great. Well done!

4 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Yeah, no luck still. Sorry!

I like those. A couple thoughts

- What's pr.?

- Partners is an awesome ability, but it should probably read something like (using Zuckuss's card as an example): If you control 4-LOM and he has not yet activated this turn, you may choose to have him interrupt to perform his at the end of Zuckuss's Activation". Or something along those lines.

- Precision, sorry for not explaining that.

- Yeah the wording is not perfect, english is not my first language so I have some trouble.

20 minutes ago, redki said:

- Precision, sorry for not explaining that.

- Yeah the wording is not perfect, english is not my first language so I have some trouble.

Ahh, ok, no worries!

That makes sense. In the US version of the game, it's called accuracy.

Edited by subtrendy2

Btw, I think the Partners wording is fine. (Edit: except the spelling of immediately.) (There is at least one issue with @subtrendy2 's suggestion apart of making it unnecessarily complicated. At the end of an activation is within the activation, and you should never have two figures activating at the same time.)

Edited by a1bert

Fond memories of our first campaign (possible minor spoiler for the Core Set campaign):

Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Mak_s_Stolen_A

Edited by Bitterman

Oh yes, this is amazing. You know what this means... now we can all make our own Jar Jar card!!!

Stellar work, @Bitterman !

I'll be getting this and giving it a go as soon as possible.

Nien Nunb, you shall find your way into Imperial Assault! :)

@Bitterman so much thanks! I am having fun with this!

Here's a Jyn Erso for skirmish.

JynErso.png

Tinkered around with the damage calculator and compared some existing units, this might actually work...hopefully I didn't make them too OP

59f0375d5eba8_DeploymentCard-Empire-DeathTrooper(Elite)custom.png.53918779f35d6484e980dc4a4910ebe6.png 59f0375eb3dd2_DeploymentCard-Empire-DeathTroopercustom.png.9e31aae6d4c5f33e5c3db55e65290caa.png

For those interested, there's a new version up with a few small improvements:

• Support for a whole host more symbols - most notably, Power Token symbols - with particular thanks to @a1bert for providing the font.
  • "Print Multiple" is now capable of printing image files directly - it will always print them at the right size for a card, so if you give it any image other than a deployment card you won't get good results!
  • Some other fixes and tweaks.

Enjoy!

(...and just fixed a bug with Print Multiple crashing - apparently I'm an idiot. If you downloaded in the last ten minutes, you'll probably want to grab it again).

Edited by Bitterman

I think we should have a separate threads for people posting their homemade cards. I don't think a central database/thread like that currently exists

here my attempt at fixing the AT-ST (don't forget: you can only spend 1 power token per attack):

R9eEHqT.png Image result for imperial assault at dp

On 25/10/2017 at 10:35 AM, Phoenix_FFG said:

Stellar work, @Bitterman !

I'll be getting this and giving it a go as soon as possible.

Nien Nunb, you shall find your way into Imperial Assault! :)

I've got it, working perfectly (Windows 10). Playing around with Nien Nunb. Will posts results in the future! :)

I've noticed pierce is on just about everything that comes out anymore. What's the point of defense dice? I shouldn't be surprised, this is what happens to games. People just want overwhelming damage.

1 hour ago, Rikalonius said:

I've noticed pierce is on just about everything that comes out anymore. What's the point of defense dice? I shouldn't be surprised, this is what happens to games. People just want overwhelming damage.

It makes gameplay go faster and makes the players play smarter.

2 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

Surge - Pierce 1 is flat worse than just rolling an extra damage icon. Surge - Pierce 2 only does something better than Surge - Pierce 1 against 50% of one dice.

Barking up the wrong tree complaining about Pierce :P

I wish it worked on 7 as I have some fun Rebel generic ideas.