Hey FFG! If you don't make an Arkham Country Expansion, We Are Going to Lose Our ****

By Norgano, in General Discussion

It's in the subject line, but for good measure: Hey FFG! If you don't make an Arkham Country Expansion, We Are Going to Lose Our ****

A lot of people are speculating that Masks of Nyarlathotep might be the last. DON'T YOU DARE! ALL OF US (Fine. Enough of us) want an Arkham Country expansion which includes places like:

A) Arkham Proper

B) The Asylum (or at least represented through cards etc.)

C) Kingsport

D) Miskatonic University

E) Innsmouth

It doesn't need a lot of fancy new mechanisms, just the tried and true stuff we like and more of the same PLUS all the Arkham area goodness.

REASONS:

A) Yes, you already have games about just Arkham but COME ON--EH is all about comprehensiveness and the sideboards are about zooming in on important areas--No where is more important than Lovecraft country

B) If you don't..... (see subject line again)

C) If some people don't want it, they don't have to buy it but you better sell it at least

D) That would be INSANE to not have an Arkham country sideboard when there is Egypt and Antarctica based on mainly just a few stories.

E) You could do SO MUCH GOOD STUFF with this. Think of it! EH approaches Lovecraftian stuff with a particular style and manner that we adore and is unique among other Lovecraft games, even it's own cousins.

F) DO IT! (please) If you do, we will 5 star FFG products all over the web especially Amazon. But... if you do not..... ;)

I've been working on my own Lovecraft country expansion, as I agree that this game needs to have a sideboard exclusively for the areas in New England.

My idea of "must have" locations include

Innsmouth

Kingsport

Dunwich

The Dark Woods

Devils Reef

I feel you can get the feeling of specific locations in town through the encounter decks, new cards for established decks, yada yada, yada...

I mean, I'd buy it, I'll buy anything EH, but I'd find it pretty boring. I don't think there's much new to be done with the area, it's been thoroughly covered. And it's not an especially important area of the world either.

I mean, a lot of the stories are set there, but most of those that are could be set almost anywhere and are only there because Lovecraft knew it. The area has a distinct lack of ancient ruins etc, all the big mythos stuff is elsewhere. There's small towns with cults across the globe, New England isn't especially special in that regard.

Edited by Eldan985

the problem here is some of the general Arkham location cards already reference (as if your investigator is having an encounter there) places like Dunwich. True I guess you could just hand wave those, but it's either bad planning by FFG or declaring their intention not to have this kind of expansion.

All the named locations represent large areas. Most of them seem to cover at least an entire country. So, that's nothign unusual for Arkham.

Unless that was the royal "we", speak for yourself. I myself will not be losing my anything if they do not do this.

I could not agree more with the OP. This is the expansion that I really want! It is an huge opportunity for highly thematic encounters.

It's so an huge opportunity for highly thematic encounters than I think it will be more used as a new game itself than just an expansion.

Eldritch Horror will have 8 expansions and a ton of cards and investigators.

It's time for a new game with Lovecraft country as a new main game board (more regional than Arkham Horror ; more specific than Eldricht).

"Miskatonic Valley" will be a good title.

A 'Horrors of the Miskatonic' board would be cool, even if it be like playing a slimmed-down AH in EH's game system.

We haven't gotten a deep one's or Dagon expansion yet. Maybe, they could be part of the Arkham Country expansion.

We have been wishing for more or less something like that. We were discussing having an Arkham Streets board having investigators sent to streets of Arkham for different objectives. Kind of like a mini Arkham Horror.

This is the expansion I want them to make more than any other. A lovecraft based game where you can't travel to dunwich would always seem incomplete to me.

On 30-1-2018 at 11:36 AM, amorbavian said:

Kind of like a mini Arkham Horror.

Like Mansions of Madness?

4 hours ago, zeromage said:

This is the expansion I want them to make more than any other. A lovecraft based game where you can't travel to dunwich would always seem incomplete to me.

This is the problem with how they've set up EH though (even though it's my favourite game): the "Arkham" encounters in the green encounter cards ALREADY include references to Dunwich, Kingsport, etc. Not every one, but a decent number of them. Add that to things like "put the Dunwich Horror epic monster on Arkham" and it leads me to believe FFG either didn't have its act together in planning (doubtful) or had no plan to make a Lovecraft Country expansion (more likely, especially as they've doubled down on this move with every expansion after the base game).

I would like to see at least another small expansion with some more AOs and maybe 1 more female Investigator, but we'll see how it goes.

Edited by Krysmo
On 31-1-2018 at 6:57 PM, Krysmo said:

This is the problem with how they've set up EH though (even though it's my favourite game): the "Arkham" encounters in the green encounter cards ALREADY include references to Dunwich, Kingsport, etc. Not every one, but a decent number of them.

While I don’t believe there will be a thing like an Arkham sideboard, the above “problem” could easily be solved by adding a deck of sideboard encounters that replace the Arkham encounters in the America encounters deck.

3 hours ago, cheapmate said:

While I don’t believe there will be a thing like an Arkham sideboard, the above “problem” could easily be solved by adding a deck of sideboard encounters that replace the Arkham encounters in the America encounters deck.

Maybe, but I think that's more trouble than it's worth!