Got the base game for my birthday. What is the best order to get the expansions in?

By Sergovan, in General Discussion

Hi guys,

I just got this game and having fun playing it. I see that it has numerous expansions and I was looking for advice on the expansions I should get first over the ones I should leave till last or just not get.

Any advice would be appreciated.

That depends.

If you want to buy only one in the near future, get Forsaken Lore. It's small and doesn't really add any big new mechanics, but it expands all the decks from the base game so you won't see the same cards as often.

Otherwise, I'd say read the fluff and get what interests you.

Mountains of Madness: expedition in Antarctica. Good flavour, not the best execution. Ithaqua as an ancient one is just annoying, the Elders are the easiest ancient one by far and a bit disappointing, and the Antarctica sideboard is for my tastes to easy to get around in and includes a few local actions that can make investigators really strong really quickly.

Strange Remnants is a lot of fun. Another small one. Introduces Glamors, a third type of spell, and Relics, a new kind of asset. The Syzygy is perhaps the most mechanically unique ancient one, too.

Under the Pyramids is a flavour slamdunk, Egypt is a great place. Includes a lot of the same stuff as Strange REmnants otherwise: relics and glamors. Nephren-Ka I remember as a somewhat easy, but interesting opponent, while Abhoth is disgusting in a good way and has the most interesting cultists (you'll see.)

Signs of Carcosa is another small one, perhaps the least interesting of them, which si weird, as I love Hastur as an ancient one. Nothing really new mechanically.

The Dreamlands have perhaps the most interesting sideboard, the name-giving weird alternate dimension of dreams. Interesting ancient ones, too. Atlach-Nacha makes for short and brutal games.

Cities in Ruin has perhaps the most interesting new mechanic overall: devastation, which turns the cities on the main board into dangerous disaster zones.

Forsaken Lore is probably the best place to start, it fills out the 8 card encounter "decks" in the main game so they become actual decks and also adds more basic stuff, that gives the game more variety.

As Eldan985 says, you can get the rest depending on your interests (like if you have a favorite ancient one, investigator or just overall theme), but I will say that I find Under the Pyramids and The Dreamlands to be the most interesting expansions.

I have every expansion and believe that Forsaken Lore is the most useful. It includes much needed additional cards for the decks.

Forsaken Lore is the one you'd get the most out of, since it combines well with the main game.

After that, I'd go for Strange Remnants. It's got an Ancient One with a great challenge, some of the cooler investigators, and introduces a new mechanic that is easy to understand and has some great writing.

Then, I'd go for a big box. Mountains has cooler investigators. Under the Pyramids is more immersive, and The Dreamlands is good if you really like the Mythos (plus, it introduces an Ancient One we've never seen before)

Cities in Ruin is really awesome with the devastation mechanic.

Signs of Carcosa isn't bad, it has a great Ancient One, but it just didn't wow me as much as the others.

Cities of Ruin is my favorite expansion thus far.

In a novel break from tradition I'm going to say that that is a difficult question to answer without a bit more information. What is it about Eldritch Horror that you enjoy most? Who is your favorite Investigator so far? I would however recommend that you watch some reviews from reviewers who have already said they enjoy the game a lot and do specific expansion reviews. My recommendations there would be Board Game Brawl or the Dice Tower on You Tube. The Rules Girl also has the most concise yet inclusive video for expanding the rules just in case you wanted more to go on than just the books or wondered if you were maybe missing something. Happy to help but that's a tough question to answer without knowing your tastes. I will say though that one of the hardest expansions for me to find was Strange Remnants, one of the small ones. It's my personal recommendation in general, if you want big box go with Mountains of Madness. Believe me, the new mechanism of Focus is worth it and both are great additions.

I will go for forsaken lore and strange remmnants. Forsaken lore gives you a ton of replay value and pumps up the difficulty. Strange remmnants gives you the focus mechanic,new types of spells and assets,the mistic ruins deck and makes the game a little bit easier to compensate forsaken lore.

Forsaken lore+Mountains of madness is also a good combination but mom is a big box expantion.

Also,forsaken lore+another small exp gives you more content than a big box exp in my opinion.

Edited by BoardRadio
On 10/8/2017 at 6:00 PM, Eldan985 said:

That depends.

If you want to buy only one in the near future, get Forsaken Lore. It's small and doesn't really add any big new mechanics, but it expands all the decks from the base game so you won't see the same cards as often.

Otherwise, I'd say read the fluff and get what interests you.

Mountains of Madness: expedition in Antarctica. Good flavour, not the best execution. Ithaqua as an ancient one is just annoying, the Elders are the easiest ancient one by far and a bit disappointing, and the Antarctica sideboard is for my tastes to easy to get around in and includes a few local actions that can make investigators really strong really quickly.

Strange Remnants is a lot of fun. Another small one. Introduces Glamors, a third type of spell, and Relics, a new kind of asset. The Syzygy is perhaps the most mechanically unique ancient one, too.

Under the Pyramids is a flavour slamdunk, Egypt is a great place. Includes a lot of the same stuff as Strange REmnants otherwise: relics and glamors. Nephren-Ka I remember as a somewhat easy, but interesting opponent, while Abhoth is disgusting in a good way and has the most interesting cultists (you'll see.)

Signs of Carcosa is another small one, perhaps the least interesting of them, which si weird, as I love Hastur as an ancient one. Nothing really new mechanically.

The Dreamlands have perhaps the most interesting sideboard, the name-giving weird alternate dimension of dreams. Interesting ancient ones, too. Atlach-Nacha makes for short and brutal games.

Cities in Ruin has perhaps the most interesting new mechanic overall: devastation, which turns the cities on the main board into dangerous disaster zones.

So,in all expansions you get some prelude to add the "feature" of that expansion to any game...

Mountains of madness:Arctic sideboard.

Under The pyramids:Egipt sideboard.
Dreamlands: Dreamlands sideboard.

Strange remnants: Ruins Deck.

Cities in ruin:Disaster Deck.

Signs of carcosa: ???????????????????????
I dont get the idea on signs of carcosa,do you have to be a fan of hastur's lore to enjoy that expansion??

6 hours ago, BoardRadio said:

Signs of carcosa: ???????????????????????
I dont get the idea on signs of carcosa,do you have to be a fan of hastur's lore to enjoy that expansion??

Signs of Carcosa has Hastur, who is one of the most fun Ancient Ones to play against and one of the most brutal once awoken.

Also Signs of Carcosa comes with three of the finest investigators: Dexter Drake, Jenny Barnes & Michael McGlen.

Pretty much. It features a lot of "more of the same". I mean, it has some new mechanics, compared to the base game. But there, it really only has talents. Which are very nice, don't get me wrong, but they aren't as game-changing as the ruins deck. Impairment tokens are new here, too, but again, not that big a thing.

I wouldn't call it a bad expansion. Hastur is an interesting old one, with 8 instead of just 6 mysteries and 4 of his own decks he offers a lot of replayability, too. Jenny Barnes and Wendy Adams are among my favourite investigators, too. It has a lot of stuff that are in other sets as well, but not in core. Glamours, preludes, unique assets. But it doesn't have a big new mechanic. (But then, apart from focus, neither does FOrsaken Lore.)

Edited by Eldan985

I would also say forsaken lore first because of replayability, strange remnants is also interesting, check out one of the big box expansions if you like the theme .

I have all of the expansions and recommended getting them all. Here is my recommended order of purchase:

1. Forsaken Lore.

2. Under the Pyramids

3. Cities in Ruin

4. Signs of Carcosa

5. The Dreamlands

6. Strange Remnants

7. Mountains of Madn ess

Forsaken Lore is the one you want as your first expansion. It just "add more" to the existing decks and the Old One is pretty cool!