Card design contest

By Guest, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

Just to have a good time...

If you have the opportunity to design your own card , what card you'd design?

Let's do this contest, in which you can propose new mechanics and cards...

And maybe FFG could take care of it, who knows? (I know that it will never happen, but in this time when we feel like missing something, maybe it could help game designers and let us realize our own card).

I bet my Core Set that most of us can create great things, more than someone who actually works on it.

Let's demonstrate it!!!

Who wins this contest, will get a long hot night with Cersei and her attendant !!!!

... night with Daenerys for the second place...

...a night with Varys for the 3rd place...

...and a fantastic, unique, sadomasochist, perverted, great night with Pycelle !!!

What a prize!!!

C'mon KNIGHT'S watchers!!!

Don't let that horse run away!!!

Lol, can Staton and I just post one of our full sets to save a little time? :P

Did you make up a full fan set? My brothers did a similar thing for the Guardians CCG.

Kennon said:

Lol, can Staton and I just post one of our full sets to save a little time? :P

Oh...a full set...I tried to do it by myself with other games and that's something i'd really like to do one day...

at the MtG time, we used to design and test our own cards...

Post it, if you have time :-)

Back when the design a card thingie was up on the boards I submitted something like this:

*Doran Martell

Cost:3, STR 2, Int, Pow, Noble crest.

At the beginning of the Dominance phase, if Doran Martell is standing and has not participated in any challenges this round, he claims one power.

Challenges: Kneel Doran Martell, and discard one power from him, to raise the claim by 1 for the duration of the current challenge.

Oh yup, DB, It's been awhile since I've looked at the cards, but I think we have two full sized expansions and about half of another, and then three quarters of a full sized base set. Crazy, huh? I'll see if Staton cares about me reposting them or anything.

That's awesome, Perthius. Guardians was a fun game. Lol, I just bought some more cards at GenCon actually.

Deathjester26 said:

Back when the design a card thingie was up on the boards I submitted something like this:

*Doran Martell

At the beginning of the Dominance phase, if Doran Martell is standing and has not participated in any challenges this round, he claims one power.

Challenges: Kneel Doran Martell, and discard one power from him, to raise the claim by 1 for the duration of the current challenge.

Great, my friend...

I like this kind of cards...

Hard to build a deck with, slow and controll-ish.

I respond with these:

Martell Diplomat

Cost 4 Str 2 I,P

Vengeful

If Martell Diplomat is the only character you control, it cannot be killed or discarded from play or returned in to their owner's hand or deck and cannot be declared as an attacker.

Remove Martell Diplomat from the game at any time there are 3 or more power on it.

Action: after you lose a challenge, claim 3 power for your house. Then, Martell diplomat claims 1 power.

Nothing to lose, nothing to gain

Kneel 3 infuence and pay 1 gold to choose an opponent and a character you control. That opponent may kill that character. If he does, choose a character controlled by that player. Kill that character. Otherwise, you draw 4 cards.

Deathjester26 said:

*Doran Martell

Maybe it needs something like "(limit one per phase)", quite good anyways ^_^ (~better with renown)

DB_Cooper said:

Kneel 3 infuence and pay 1 gold to choose an opponent and a character you control. That opponent may kill that character. If he does, choose a character controlled by that player. Kill that character. Otherwise, you draw 4 cards.

Draw 4 cards break the draw cap, doesn´t it? Maybe better "reveal" than "draw"

DB_Cooper said:

Well, i would bet that you played SW:CCG before. The cards concept too much sounds like the card "Either way you win". ;-) However, i like your idea , i would just make the card unique to prevent the card draw madness we saw in the best times of massing and watching.

I originally wrote 3 cards, then I forgot to change the "reveal and put into your hand".

Ok...And it's doomed.

And Unique.

OLD BEN: this is something like a rare card...I mean...I like strong rares that involves a difficult choice for the oppo. I know 4 cards seems too much, but it is not. The average player would never give the chance to basically draw 4 cards...At least, if I have to save a big boss...

But usually I don't like auto includes ;-)

I.E. I'd "never" create something like JAQUEN. :-)

DB_Cooper said:

OLD BEN: this is something like a rare card...I mean...I like strong rares that involves a difficult choice for the oppo.

That's something in this that everyone is going to have to remember. There are no rare cards. Everyone will have equal access. So if you are thinking of a "strong rare that involves a difficult choice for the opponent," remember that you will be on the receiving end of it as often as not.

I don't like the combination of influence and gold in the cost, particularly with the de-emphasis on influence I'm seeing as they ramp up the "Taxation" mechanic. I'd suggest making it "Pay 4 influence OR 2 gold." I also think that the 4-card thing is excessive. It's overkill, especially in the LCG environment where there isn't a stellar amount of draw anyway. 3 cards is a hard enough choice now that you don't pretty much expect your opponent to be drawing the 3 every turn. Making it "draw 3" also adds depth to the choice (both to play the card and to make the choice) in comparing it to where the player is vs. the draw cap.

And no card should ever be Doomed ever again. <Cartman voice>Bad mechanic! Bad mechanic!</Cartman voice>

Since plots are such a weak part of the LCG environment, how about we look at some ideas for THOSE?

ktom said:

Since plots are such a weak part of the LCG environment, how about we look at some ideas for THOSE?

I would like to see a comeback of the warden plot cycle (AROK).

Here´s another plot idea - granted it maybe slightly overpowered:

Fading memory

gold 3 / Initiative 5/ claim 1

When revealed choose a player. Move a plot card at random from that player´s plot pile to that player´s used pile.

Victarion Greyjoy --Unique, House Greyjoy

4 Gold, 4 STR Military, Power, War Crest

Traits: Captain, Ironborn

Keywords: Deadly, Renown

Response: After a character is killed, stand Victarion Greyjoy.

Theon Greyjoy --Unique, House Greyjoy

3 Gold, 3 STR Military, Power

Traits: Lord, Ironborn

Keywords: Stealth

Response: After you take control of a location from another play, Theon Greyjoy gains X power. X is the cost of that location. (limit once per round)

I'd also like to see a new Keyword:

Craven -- This character cannot de declared as an attacker.

Hmm.... wouldn't not being able to defend be a bit more fitting for Craven?

Anyway, plot idea off the top of my head....

Necessary Sacrifices

3 Gold, 4 Initiative, 1 Claim

When revealed, if you have at least 3 cards in hand, each player places all cards in thier hand on top of their deck.

Ok, probably too powerful like that, but I think it could be a good one with a bit more tweaking.

ktom said:

DB_Cooper said:

OLD BEN: this is something like a rare card...I mean...I like strong rares that involves a difficult choice for the oppo.

You're definitely right. I admit my errors.

I've to say (just to justify them) that I did not sleep when i wrote that crap and I wanted just to start the contest in a funny way.

You're point, BTW, is completely right.

As always :-)

And thanks to be so honest and clear in anything you write.

Anyway...

Let's move on PLOTS!!! FFG absolutely needs help on plots :-)

I'll think about it and post some crap soon... gran_risa.gif

I like the idea of The King's Peace, but maybe it could be a little less powerful.

4/0/0

In order to initiate a challenge against you, an opponent's House must give your House 2 gold.

jmccarthy said:

I like the idea of The King's Peace, but maybe it could be a little less powerful.

4/0/0

In order to initiate a challenge against you, an opponent's House must give your House 2 gold.

The problem with King's Peace was always that it essentially shut down the entire Challenge phase in the first round of Joust games. You can't initiate them and I have no claim. Making the power "cost" to a gold "cost" for initiating challenges wouldn't change that fundamental problem. So I'd suggest you make it something more like "While you have at least one plot in your used pile, opponents must give you 2 gold token from their gold pool in order to initiate a challenge against you." to stop it from being the first plot. That might even justify a 4-0-1

I'll put forth my usual plot ideas:

> Right of Conquest: 2-0-2; (Military Battle?) Players must win a military challenge before they can initiate an power challenge this round.

> Rule of Law: 5-3-1; (Power Struggle?) Players must win a power challenge before they can initiate an intrigue challenge this round.

> Benefit of Deceit: 3-4-1; (Intrigue Gambit?) Players must win an intrigue challenge before they can initiate a military challenge this round.

What if the card was more neutral about its cost/benefit? I love the idea that the King's Peace represents.. that although Westeros is usually dominated by attacks, that there are times when Westeros is more peaceful, and initiating a challenge is something you don't do lightly. How about this?

The King's Peace: 4/0/1

In order to initiate a challenge, a player must give 1 gold to the opponent of his choice.

Spring Bloom

0 G 4 I 1C

Each gold producing Location, Character and Attatchment you control produces an additional Gold during your Marshaling Phase.

A Destiny Unfolds

3G 1I 2C

When revealed each player chooses a Character they control. During the Challenge Phase this turn only chosen Characters can participate in challenges.

Fire and Salt

2G 4I 1C

In addition to your normal Military Claim, the losing opponent must also pick a location they control. That location is discarded.

jmccarthy said:

The King's Peace: 4/0/1

In order to initiate a challenge, a player must give 1 gold to the opponent of his choice.

I'm not wild about the idea that you can pay someone else and attack me in Melee.

I understand what you are going for (and what they were going for way back in Westeros) thematically, but as long as you can play it as your first plot to essentially shut down the Challenge phase, it is going to turn into a round-one build-up plot by skiping over the most important phase of the game (arguably). The LCG games I have played feel slow enough as it is! Anyway, to me, that doesn't really accomplish the desired theme because you end up playing the plot more to take away any option your opponent has to attack rather than to represent hard choices and/or consequences for the attacker.

Munnin said:

Spring Bloom

0 G 4 I 1C

Each gold producing Location, Character and Attatchment you control produces an additional Gold during your Marshaling Phase.

Nice idea, but I think I'd rather see an actual high-gold plot rather than this kind of back-door way to generate a lot of gold in the late game.

Munnin said:

A Destiny Unfolds

3G 1I 2C

When revealed each player chooses a Character they control. During the Challenge Phase this turn only chosen Characters can participate in challenges.

I'd suggest you make this "at the beginning of the challenge phase" instead of "when revealed." Otherwise, if I kill or kneel your chosen character during Marshaling, you are completely hosed. Or what if it is revealed against an opponent's Valar? Good chance there is no Challenge phase that round.

Munnin said:

Fire and Salt

2G 4I 1C

In addition to your normal Military Claim, the losing opponent must also pick a location they control. That location is discarded.

This would probably be clearer as "After you win a military challenge, the losing opponent must choose and discard a location they control." As worded, it's a little messy.

ktom said:

I'll put forth my usual plot ideas:

> Right of Conquest: 2-0-2; (Military Battle?) Players must win a military challenge before they can initiate an power challenge this round.

> Rule of Law: 5-3-1; (Power Struggle?) Players must win a power challenge before they can initiate an intrigue challenge this round.

> Benefit of Deceit: 3-4-1; (Intrigue Gambit?) Players must win an intrigue challenge before they can initiate a military challenge this round.

Wonderful, man.

I think we need some more Military battle and so on mechanics in LCG...

And I like the way in which they interact between them.

ATTENTION!!! NOOB QUESTION!!! (red alarm, siren noise)

Do you think a 2 claim for everyone is too much (adjusting other values)?

I always thought it would be neat if there was a Wildling version of Jon Snow, so here it goes...

Jon Snow

(2 Gold, 2 STR, House Stark. Bastard.)

Military icon.

You may play Jon Snow without a gold penalty.

While you control more Night's Watch characters than Wildling characters, Jon Snow gains a power icon, the lord trait, and all Night's Watch characters get +1 STR. While you control more Wildling characters than Night's Watch characters, Jon Snow gains an intrigue icon, +2 STR, and and cannot be killed.

The pricing on this character could be adjusted somewhat, but I think a mechanic like this would be both Nedly and fun. It would capture the spirit of Jon Snow. Here's another...

Littlefinger

(3 Gold, 3 STR, Ally.)

Intrigue icon. Stealth.

If your opponent has more power on his house card than you, increase Littlefinger's printed gold cost by 2. If you have more power on your house card than your opponent, Littlefinger gains a power icon and the lord trait.

Littlefinger cannot be discarded from play.

Challenges: Pay 2 gold to change the claim effect of the current challenge to that of a power challenge. (Limit once per round.)

Doran Martell

3 Gold, 3 STR

Intrigue Icon.

Immune to triggered effects.

Response: After an opponent wins a challenge against you unopposed, Doran Martell claims 1 power (once per opponent per phase).

Response: After an opponent declares defenders, kneel Doran Martell and discard X power to raise the attacking player's claim by X for that challenge.

(Noble Crest).

Here's the proposal of some thematic "Night's watch" cards.

Plot

Don't forget who's gone

3G 5I 0C

Night's watch. When revealed, if you control at least one character with the Night's watch trait, search your deck for up to X cards with the Night's watch trait, reveal them and put them in your dead pile. X is the number of Night's watch plot cards in your used pile. Shuffle your deck. The claim value on this plot card is raised by "X".

Plot

Don't betray the judgment

4G 5I 1C

Night's watch. While you control at least two characters with the Night's watch trait, lower the non-Night's watch characters strength to 0 when partecipating in a challenge and all Night's watch character gain "after you win a challenge in wich this character partecipated, he claims 1 power".

Plot

Don't forgive the enemy

3G 3I 1C

Night's watch. While you control at least one Night's watch character and any opponent controls at least one Wildling character, raise your claim value by 1 during challenges against that opponent.

Character

Samwell Tarly

2 Cost 1 Strength I

Night's watch.

Samwell Tarly is immune to triggered abilities.

Any phase: kneel Samwell Tarly to reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If you reveal one or more neutral cards this way, put one of those cards into your hand and the rest on top of your deck in any order. Play this ability only if you have at least one Night's watch plot card in your used pile.

Response: after a night's watch character is killed or comes into play, stand Samwell Tarly.

Character

Qhorin Halfhand

4 Cost 2 Strength M,P

Night's watch.

No attachments.

Qhorin Halfhand is immune to events.

Qhorin Halfhand cannot be chosen to be killed for a military claim.

Response: after you win a challenge in which a Night's watch character partecipated, stand Qhorin Halfhand. Then, he gains +2 STR, Deadly and Renown until the end of the phase.

Response: after Qhorin Halfhand is killed, claim 1 power for yuor house for each Night's watch character you control. Trigger this ability only if you have at least two Night's watch plot card in your used pile.

REPRINT OF THE NIGHT'S WATCH AGENDA

AND...

The Wall

4 Cost

While the wall is standing, Night's watch character you control get +1 Strength and cost 1 less gold to be played.

Response: after a Night's watch character comes into play under your control, if there's at least one Night's watch plot card in your used pile and the wall is standing, you may draw a card (two cards if any opponent has at least one Others plot card in his or her used pile).

Limited response: kneel The Wall to cancel a triggered effect or ability that choses a Night's watch character as the only target. Play this ability only if you have at least two Night's watch plot cards in your used pile.

This is just a start...

An idea for an event..

Not so powerful at the moment, but can be improved one day or another...

Support of the Gods

Challenges: all characters you control get +1 strength for each character in your dead pile until the end of the phase. Play Support of the Gods only if you have fewer character than any opponent.

During set up, you can search your deck for Support of the Gods and put it into your plot used pile.Choose one between Military Battle, Power struggel or Intrigue gambit: it counts as a plot with the chosen trait in your used pile (after you reveal your last plot, shuffle Support of the Gods into your deck).